Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This Editor Software is a mess !!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpilot..... Atleast now they will not be sued for not delivering something that was to be included in the box.
vstkeys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really looking foward to the editor so one could edit samples just like down to earth drag and drop kontakt. Well 12 months of silence and we get delivered with something that's some extent unsuable or not so helpeful in terms of instructions.

In my opnion korg has a well functioning editor... ...in their factory for their own use Applause . What we got is a trimmed down version. Simply put, how the hell was kronos created in the first place (sounds , editing, etc)??? Exactelly . They had to have a well functioning software to comunicate with the os and so on. I am very sure Korg didn't use this editor to program kronos.
So for me korg lost another point. First was with the super expensive Austrian piano now with an "editor". Well at least now they can jst launch a new synth an considered kronos as a thing of the past jst like oasys.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got shivers on my back when I opened the installer. It said "Sound quest inc".

I immediately recognized the name and remembered some of the other buggy editor/librarian software they made.

http://www.squest.com/
Oh, Sound quest ? The 90's called, they want their webdesigner back! Very Happy

Too bad I can't edit PCG files directly, the editor is useless to me since I don't have my Kronos with me at home...
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vstkeys: how much did you pay for KONTAKT?

I agree with you though, there is no point of mimicng the onboard screen on the computer.... I mentioned this several months ago when someone posted a screenshot of the editor...
robinkle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why they use Midi for the editor to control kronos. Midi means trouble to my ears. there should be more of a Hardware software fusion.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, since you seem dedicated to get the point across, I feel obliged to ask you to make it one more time because I sincerely don't understand what you're saying. Playing live is all about compromise for me - I do want to bring top of the line gear and enjoy good sound, but I leave my Mark1 88 and my Voyager at home for instance. It'd be too much bother to bring them just for the few sounds I could use them for. Same if I had an actual Jupiter 8, let alone a real B3.

But when I'm in the studio, I try to pick the best sounds for the application. I use my Voyager often enough, Maschine or Superior Drummer for drums, LASS or VSL for strings... I might use the Kronos for a few sounds as well, but only if they were necessary for the arrangement/composition. Truthfully, I don't think there are many sounds in there that are truly unique. It's the combination of all the engines in a single board that makes it work for me, cause I can bring a lot of sound-hp to the gig.

Are you saying that you don't like dealing with all the different interfaces for the various VSTis? That doesn't bother me at all, personally, and to be honest I don't see why it would bother anyone who manages Kronos' 9 engines.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple, SanderXpander.
In fact it's a question of pragmatic personal time economy and efficient workflow.

1. Using the Kronos as live instrument is without alternative for me (I have tried the notebook/software/soundcard/masterkeyboard/cables solution and don't like it for a number of reasons)

2. That means: learning to use my main instrument, along with few others, has absolute priority for me.

3. Since I know this instrument best from everyday use, I also get fastest results with it when I work on band project arrangements or write songs.

4. Of course I make casual use of my Rhodes, Moogs or Access TI, just as of a limited number (which I very consciously keep limited all the time!) of software VSTis. But often I use these sonic possibilities only at the last stage of recording, after the main job has been done with some Kronos tracks, replacing few sounds I want refined.

5. I do not at all agree that the software alternatives always offer better sounds. For example, I like to use the Scarbee Rhodes for it's authentic MK I sound, but it neither offers the high dynamic range nor the many flexible sound parameters of the Kronos engine and it's Rhodes sounds possibilities. At the same time the Kronos Rhodes engine sounds ten times better than software modelling alternatives like the Lounge Lizard to me. It's the best available compromise between authentity, velocity dynamics and heavy tweaking for all kinds of Rhodes signature sounds that I know. This is just one example. Another observation I made is that the sounds of several hardware workstations and synths (not only the Kronos) often fit easier into a mix than big software alternatives. Or at least you often have to invest considerably more time to make the latter fit as well.

6. Generally the big time investment to check all available Kontakt sample libraries, software synths and numerous VSTi variations, combined with the multitude of available effects, and all that spread among dozens of competely different interfaces, shortcuts, parameter access, modulation matrices etc., does not pay from my experience. Maybe it does for a fulltime studio musician, but certainly not for me. I get much better results much faster in a limited environment which I know well.

7. So a well working Kronos VSTi would be of much bigger everyday use for me than half a dozen big, sophisticated VSTIs, as I said. Anytime!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: