Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos and editor still won't speak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wadrad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: kronos and editor still won't speak Reply with quote

Hey Gents,

I'm loathe to post if I can figure something out myself, but I'm still having the problem of my PC (and new editor) not seeing the Kronos.

Followed everything prescribed in the "kronos and editor won't speak, any suggestions?" but still no luck.

OS 1.6 has been successfully installed (3 times just to be sure),
USB driver 1.13.00.03 is showing as installed and working, Kronos is showing on the device list from the "Korg USB-MIDI Driver Utility", but when the editor is launched, I get "There are no MIDI in ports selected", etc. and because it can't SEE the device, there isn't an option to select the Kronos and its corresponding ports ever after the software has launched.

I tried using the "Korg Driver Uninstall Utility" and deleted some old MIDI devices, but so far that hasn't helped.

Thoughts? And a thanks, Danke, dank je wel, tak, evcharisto, et merci in advance...

Cheers,
Wadrad
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem before, not related to the editor but with my DAW.

Apparently, Windows can handle only 10 MIDI drivers, even though it allows drivers to register.

The Korg driver comes with a tool which allows you to delete some of those registered drivers.

I'm not in front of my home PC, but the tool should show you a list of all MIDI drivers you may have (probably some MIDI I/O ports of your sound card and other USB MIDI controllers, etc...)

Delete some of the first 10 records and close the program. If you re-open, you should see that the Kronos driver is one of the first 10 items in the list.

Hope this helps!
herbsch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the problem - KRONOS IN/OUT port invisible, too. I searched the german forum and found an article from ALEX@korg related to the number of MIDI device limitations of Windows. After execution of the steps descirbed and a boot I was able to use the editor.

Before you execute the steps think about a backup of your windows system!

The steps are:
start -> regedit
open HKEY LOCAL MACHINE
open SOFTWARE
open WINDOWS NT
open CURRENT VERSION
open DRIVERS32

switch to the right window
delete the entries "midi, midi1, midi2, ..."

close regedit

boot
wadrad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: kronos and editor still won't speak Reply with quote

mathieumaes:
I did remove some of the midi-drivers using the Korg tool, but I'm not sure if I removed enough to reduce the total number to less than 10. I'll try that first, and then try herbsch's suggestion if I have to (modifying with regedit).

I'm slowly remembering I had a similar problem 7 or 8 years ago with a Motif Rack that wouldn't talk to my laptop. I think I used an earlier version of the Korg USB-MIDI back then to delete some drivers and finally get it working as well.

If I get it working, I'll post the solution.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!
Edson Caetano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem, wait your solution
- windows 7 64bit, in the mac worked all very well
Sparker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised that Windows 7 still has the 10 Midi Driver limitation - but apparently it has ...

Strangely I haven't had this problem using Vista (even though I've got 13 midi driver slots taken up).

As far as using the Korg Driver Unistall program you need to have the devices you that you want to be recognised in the 1st ten slots. I can see that Windows will allow slots for up to 20 devices which get recognised by the Driver Utility but not by my version of Cubase (for instance).

As far as using 'regedit' goes I strongly recommend creating a restore point before deleting any drivers. When I used this method I found some unknown drivers in the 'lower' slots and after deleting them found that 'Windows Media Player' no longer worked - so system restore was essential for getting .wav and .mid files to play from the PC.

Having said that I've also got some creative soundblaster drivers taking up slots but can't for the life of me get rid of them even though I've removed the soundblaster card from the PC - go figure ...

Line 6 Flextone XL / Line 6 POD XT / Roland V Bass / Ampeg Portabass & Cab / Assorted Guitars (no whammy bar) ... and a Fender Champ ...
zzz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get windows media player to shut up on my system! I've told it loads of times to piss off and let foobar and vlc do their stuff, but it keeps over-riding them.
Anyway, Wadrad, I hope you get yours to work. Let us know how you manage...
wadrad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even after deleting some extra drivers, I'm still above the 10 midi drivers limitation...and 8 of the first 10 slots are taken up by Nvidia "High Definition" Audio drivers, which the Korg Uninstall Utility doesn't let me delete (even with the "Delete Korg MIDI device only" option unchecked).

Based on all the research I've done so far, the Nvidia drivers are problematic for a LOT of folks...don't have time left today to tackle it, but tomorrow I'll get creative and see if I can get those little boogers removed.

More to follow...

Cheers,
Wadrad
Prense01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
I've had this problem before, not related to the editor but with my DAW.

Apparently, Windows can handle only 10 MIDI drivers, even though it allows drivers to register.

The Korg driver comes with a tool which allows you to delete some of those registered drivers.

I'm not in front of my home PC, but the tool should show you a list of all MIDI drivers you may have (probably some MIDI I/O ports of your sound card and other USB MIDI controllers, etc...)

Delete some of the first 10 records and close the program. If you re-open, you should see that the Kronos driver is one of the first 10 items in the list.

Hope this helps!

This solved my issue...

That said, I have other midi devices not in the top 10 list that work without any issues.
400nvd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Problem solved here Reply with quote

I had the same problem. reduced the nr of drivers and .... Windows 7 started talking to the Kronos. Thanks
Noël
wadrad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Problem Solved Reply with quote

Problem hopefully solved!

Under "device manager" I had to delete the "high definition audio device" (4 instances of it), and quickly install the Korg Kronos driver before the "high definition audio devices" re-installed themselves. Fortunately they re-installed after the Kronos, giving the Kronos driver position #8 of the first 10. I launched the editor, and the Kronos finally came up on the list of MIDI devices, all the banks loaded, and it appears to have worked.

Of course, the next issue is whether the Kronos driver will KEEP that #8 position when the Kronos is switched off and turned back on. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help all...

Cheers,
Wadrad
wadrad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Last add on this topic... Reply with quote

Te gek! Excellent!

And yes, my Kronos drivers are holding the #8 position in the MIDI-Driver list...which I suspected they would, but who knows with Windows, eh?

The editor is working like a charm...NOW to see how it will integrate with Sonar...wish me luck!

Again, thanks all...

Cheers,
Wadrad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: