Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick and dirty way of improving your drum kit mix sounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darmin De'flern

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Quick and dirty way of improving your drum kit mix sounds Reply with quote

Sometimes its not allways possible or have the time to record and have seperate tracks for the diffrent parts of a drum kit or even symbals, toms and bass seperately.

Because I tend to record from keyboard to DAW a complete drum kit sound what I do to improve that kit in the mix and is supringly effective is the following.

a) record and copy your drum kit into your daw

b) copy and paste that kit another twice lining up the recordings exactly.

d) Apply your EQ effect to the first track. eliminate the low end of the eq and lower the mid range as apporpriate but concentrate on getting those symbols (and rim shots) nice and bright or however you like them.

e) Apply your eq effect to the second track lower the high and low ends but conecentrate on getting those toms to a nice pitch

f) Finally elimate the high end of the eq and lower mid as appropriate conectrate on getting the sound and timbure of that low bass end.

In this way your emulating how sound recordists record a drum kit using mics on diffrent part of the kits to capture the sounds.

Sometimes I like having a forth track maybe a diffrent kit there just as a base line for where the kit started originally to referance.

If you wanted to you could go even more indepth by doing five tracks etc and concetrating on diffrent parts of the eq but be aware that the more eqs you have on the drums then that might start fighting with any other eq's your going to use on the other instruments later.

I dunno if this is a bit symplistic for this forum (and you all allready now this trick) but wanted to give back this trick that I used in return for all the help the community has given me so far with my queries on the Korg kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: