Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not a Bug - just a complicated way of doing it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Not a Bug - just a complicated way of doing it Reply with quote

DISK MODE - Save Seq NOT correctly saving patch data, in fact it does NOT save it at all...

Please refer to this thread for the background: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=472496#472496

EDITED TO REFLECT THE CHANGE IN THREAD - NOT A BUG

Last edited by miden on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina, i think you are overreacting, this is just one post from someone that doesn't understand how to work with midi files on the kronos.

This isn't a bug. The karma bug is there in 1.6. The loading multiple files too. The scrolling bug is only when you scroll large files on a thumb drive and that has been a bug since 1.0
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrobinez wrote:
Sina, i think you are overreacting, this is just one post from someone that doesn't understand how to work with midi files on the kronos.

This isn't a bug. The karma bug is there in 1.6. The loading multiple files too. The scrolling bug is only when you scroll large files on a thumb drive and that has been a bug since 1.0

No I do understand more about the sequencer now in the Kronos - not as much as most, sure...BUT the f#$king simple task of just loading a midi, changing a bloody patch and then saving it WITH THAT PATCH CHANGE INTACT does not work...

Try it for yourself as you seem to know..grab any SMF file from the internet load it into the sequencer, assign a patch change and then save it in Disk Mode as a SEQ file...then initialise the Sequencer and then load the saved SEQ file and play it... I bet the original GM data in the seq gets loaded and NOT the patch you changed...
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden wrote:

Try it for yourself as you seem to know..grab any SMF file from the internet load it into the sequencer, assign a patch change and then save it in Disk Mode as a SEQ file...then initialise the Sequencer and then load the saved SEQ file and play it... I bet the original GM data in the seq gets loaded and NOT the patch you changed...

ok i've tried it (as explained in the other thread of yours) and it works perfectly.

this is NOT a bug.
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes as I posted in the referred thread...by going to
1.TRACK EDIT
2.SELECT A TRACK
3.DROP-DOWN MENU
4.MIDI EVENT EDIT
5.SET EVENT FILTER
6.DELETE PROGRAM CHANGE
7. EXIT BACK TO MAIN PAGE
8.LOAD NEW PATCH
9.SAVE SEQ

Wow, what a streamlined and efficient way of doing things....now multiply THAT by the number of tracks being used in the midi....up to 16 times that operation needs to be done and that's BEFORE you really start editing.....
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden,
this is standard midi software behavior: a later program change overrides the original patch settings. So the remedy is to delete the disturbing program change, not to put another patch definition before it at the start of a track.
Cpilot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got a funny patch change. I have two midi files with the same layout. Only thing different is the note events. They both have a piano on track 10. When I load them into the sequencer and set GM initialize, the Kronos gets the first one correct but the for the second one, the Kronos changes the piano to drums even though they both have the same program change at the start of the track. Sounds weird until I change it back to piano in the sequencer.

Bryan
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden wrote:
Yes as I posted in the referred thread...by going to
1.TRACK EDIT
2.SELECT A TRACK
3.DROP-DOWN MENU
4.MIDI EVENT EDIT
5.SET EVENT FILTER
6.DELETE PROGRAM CHANGE
7. EXIT BACK TO MAIN PAGE
8.LOAD NEW PATCH
9.SAVE SEQ

Wow, what a streamlined and efficient way of doing things....now multiply THAT by the number of tracks being used in the midi....up to 16 times that operation needs to be done and that's BEFORE you really start editing.....

Miden..

There is a better way..

Instead of Midi Event Edit..

Select [Erase Measure] command.
Set Measure Range 001 to 001
Set Kind = Program Change.
Check All Tracks option

That will erase Program Changes from All Tracks in one step.

Also, you could do this in your DAW before copying the SMF to KRONOS. Just open the SMF in your DAW. Erase all program changes from the tracks and GM reset command, and then save the SMF. Make sure your DAW is not set to insert GM reset command. This way you will not need to do this on KRONOS when you import the SMF.
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks Shakil,

No I do not use GM at all...I have not done so for about 11 -12 years...I always use the upper sound banks of the synths Smile so none of my files have GM, GS or XG reset strings. Nor is it automatically saved with them either.

All I need do in Sonar is delete the patch data in the track info view (that's the one between the Inspector strip and the tracks view..this will remove all the patches....but if I have to do that, I might as well just do all the editing (apart from velocities and drum notes) on the Kronos...

See I believe the Kronos (well Korg US/Japan really as it applies to their sequencer, not Italy which uses a different sequencer) should make it the same as all other sequencers in that when a patch is laoded to a file and then saved, it should AUTOMATICALLY overwrite the midi header bar patch data...one should not have to manually delete this data first...this is how sequencers were way back in the early 90's. That was the sort of thing one had to do then as they were still very primitive....

Anyway thanks for the tip on a shorter way of doing it Smile it is appreciated.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden wrote:
Yeah thanks Shakil,

No I do not use GM at all...I have not done so for about 11 -12 years...I always use the upper sound banks of the synths Smile so none of my files have GM, GS or XG reset strings. Nor is it automatically saved with them either.

All I need do in Sonar is delete the patch data in the track info view (that's the one between the Inspector strip and the tracks view..this will remove all the patches....but if I have to do that, I might as well just do all the editing (apart from velocities and drum notes) on the Kronos...

See I believe the Kronos (well Korg US/Japan really as it applies to their sequencer, not Italy which uses a different sequencer) should make it the same as all other sequencers in that when a patch is laoded to a file and then saved, it should AUTOMATICALLY overwrite the midi header bar patch data...one should not have to manually delete this data first...this is how sequencers were way back in the early 90's. That was the sort of thing one had to do then as they were still very primitive....

Anyway thanks for the tip on a shorter way of doing it Smile it is appreciated.

OK, try this.

After saving the file from SONAR, open the SMF in Sonar itself.
Now look in event view in SONAR and see if Program Changes are there.

Deleting Patch Data (I am still not sure what you exactly refer to) from Track Info View will not always delete program change message, if there are already program changes messages in MIDI tracks.

Your suggestion to automatically remove header patch data from SMF could be dangerous. I haven't seen any MIDI sequencer that did that, and I have been using them since 90s as well.
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no there aren't any that do it Smile But there are those that run batch operations to remove certain data and meta-data from midis...

I just run one of those to remove all CC 0/CC 32 and Patch# data...I set it to ONLY that data...all that remains is notes and controllers Smile

I also do not have patch data embedded in tracks either...
The only data I have in tracks is note and controller data....it's all good m8, I have come to terms with this is how the Korg Sequencer (Korg Japan) works and I have now developed a work-flow...

It is academic anyway as the Korgs don't load insert efx with the patch anyway (in Sequencer mode) so even if I chose a patch in Soanr I would probably have to change it once at the Kronos in any case...so I might as well handle the file only once....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: