Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Route EXi1 to EXi2 audio input

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Route EXi1 to EXi2 audio input Reply with quote

Is it possible?
I've been through the UI, and the manual, couldn't find anything on it.

I'd like to route CX3 into MS20Ex, within the same program. I just ended up creating a feedback loop - using FX Control Bus 1 on the output in IFX routing..
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe someone commented how it could only be done in a combi, which makes editing kind of annoying.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, as far as i know this can' t be done in a program. In combi mode you can route the output of 1 timbre to the input of timbre 2 by using the internal bus system. The same trick as used when you sidechaining in a compressor. So select the control fx bus 1 at timbre 1, and selext that bus channel in the audio input exit tab from timbre 2.

But as far as i know you can't route exi1 directly to the control bus in a program, that's why you have to use a combi for that.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing i forgot to say is that this only applies when routing the EXI1 to Exi 2 in a program. If you want to do this in a program for the drums then it's possible because the drums can be sent to control bus 1.

I've tried it a moment ago and indeed i could route the drumtrack as an audio input in the ms20.

Steps:
- set the audio input of the ms20 to control FX bus 1
- set the output of the drumtrack to off and send the output of the drumtrack to control fx bus 1
- on the ms20 patch panel connect a wire from the audio exi in connector to an In connector (for instance the one before the LPF filter).
- set the volume of osc 1 and 2 to 0 in the ms20
- now when you use the drumtrack and you hold a note on the ms20 the sound of the drumtrack goes to the filters of the ms20.

This can be done in program mode. I can't think of a way to send EXI 1 to a control bus and EXI 2 to a L/R output bus, otherwise this would also be the way in program mode to do this for combining EXI's in one program. So that's why you have to do that one in combi mode.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it can be done inside an Exi Program. Original (2008) discussion here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37139

To briefly summarize:

Once you have a dual EXi Program, go to COMMON, then IFX tab. Under BUS SELECT (IFX/INDIV. OUT ASSIGN) set EXi1 & 2 to "Off."

Quote:
send EXi1 to MFX1, set MFX1 to Stereo Limiter with 1:1 ratio and gain adjust 0. And set MFX1 return to 0 in the Routing tab. Then in EXi Audio Input tab, set EXi2 input source to MFX1.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Yes, it can be done inside an Exi Program. Original (2008) discussion here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37139

To briefly summarize:

Once you have a dual EXi Program, go to COMMON, then IFX tab. Under BUS SELECT (IFX/INDIV. OUT ASSIGN) set EXi1 & 2 to "Off."

Quote:
send EXi1 to MFX1, set MFX1 to Stereo Limiter with 1:1 ratio and gain adjust 0. And set MFX1 return to 0 in the Routing tab. Then in EXi Audio Input tab, set EXi2 input source to MFX1.

thanks !!

works great!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what am I doing wrong?
I'd like to throw an SGX-1 piano through AL1's filters.
1. In program mode, I turned Bus Select in the IFX tab to off
2. I sent EXi1 (SGX-1) to MFX1, on which is a limiter with 1:1 and no gain correction. I can see the meters going so the SGX-1 is coming in.
3. I put the return to 0 of MFX1 to zero.
4. In the Exi Audio input tab, for EXi 2 (AL1) I put the audio input to MFX1
5. In AL1s mixer, I put osc 1 to zero, osc 2 to zero, and switch the sub osc to external audio.

The only thing that confuses me is that in step 5, the selection for external audio is SP/DIF and USB and the like. Is what I'm trying to do impossible?
I tried doing this with MS20 but I only get pretty mangled/distorted sound.
coyote144
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a Video for the french forum "Kronoscopie" about this, though it's explained in french, you should understand thanks to the video and the diagram.
[url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70_74JN-b6M[/url]
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the one to actually open a topic about this a while ago...in most cases
i find this workarounds useless, both of them...
In Program: Its useless, it bypasses the IFX and nothing out of it.
In Combi: Run it thru channel 2? What 4, your EXI parameters are
not available in Combi anyways so what for.

If i wanna run AL-1 thru MOD-7 i dont get MOD-7 Editing in Combi.
levioter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice presentation coyote144 !
Good elocution and very clear !

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Very Happy
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the MFX trick but
1. I thought there was a different way in combi mode, one that did let me use the IFX. It's not working for me.
2. I can't get it to work with AL-1 as secondary processor, is this perhaps not possible?
3. When I chain SGX1 to the MS20 filter, while it works in principle, something weird happens; as long as I hold down the damper pedal, volume builds and keeps building even when I hit the same note(s) over and over again. As if it's stacking the piano notes instead of retriggering them. This makes it impossible to play a regular piano part and filter it with MS20. There also seem to be some weird jumps in volume if I hit hard, even though MS20 doesn't show peaking and the limiters on the MFXs are set to neutral.

Any thoughts? I'd really like to get this to work. Don't need to edit the programs at the same time so combi mode would be fine for me.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyote144 wrote:
I have made a Video for the french forum "Kronoscopie" about this

That was a great tutorial! Your tutorial are great coyote144. Plz keep them coming!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: