Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed with Focusrite interface
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did experience problems with the software that came with the disc. I had to uninstall it and download the updates from the website.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just finished building my new pc and my interface works great! I haven't tried recording yet as I'm still installing software and transferring my files across but so far so good. It's been playing music from iTunes and no stalls or disconnections at all.

I think that Acer have configured their computers to make sure that you can't upgrade them at all. You can't even upgrade the ram on my Acer pc.

At least now I have built my own pc I can continue to expand when I want.

Thanks for everyone's help.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperpotty wrote:
Well I've just finished building my new pc and my interface works great! I haven't tried recording yet as I'm still installing software and transferring my files across but so far so good. It's been playing music from iTunes and no stalls or disconnections at all.

I think that Acer have configured their computers to make sure that you can't upgrade them at all. You can't even upgrade the ram on my Acer pc.

At least now I have built my own pc I can continue to expand when I want.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Glad you got it working! It will save you a lot of time to make an image of your current hard drive, so that you can quickly return to a known good configuration, in case you install something that starts the bad behavior again. Ideally, this is done before you start installing software and transfering files, but any image of the system that's working well will save a lot of time vs. rebuilding from scratch again.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed with Focusrite interface Reply with quote

Darmin De'flern wrote:
Pepperpotty wrote:
Hi guys,

I've just got myself a focusrite Scarlett 18i6 audio interface. I have also just updated my pc's OS to Windows 7.

It took me ages to get the AI up and running. There were problems with the PC recognising it and it turned out that the software on the included disk was out of date and I had to go to their website to download new software.

Then there were problems with clicks and pops and other such noises. After finally getting the Scarlett mix control software to work I realised that by turning down the monitor volume on the mix control and turning up the AI's physical volume knob this seemed to resolve the problem.

So I carried on listening to music for about half an hour through iTunes just to make sure the problem was properly fixed. Then suddenly the music stops and the AI disconnects from the mix control.

The AI is still recognised in Windows volume controls but no volume can be heard from the speakers and iTunes just pauses itself. The only way to get it going again is to disconnect and reconnect to power from the AI.

This now happens again and again. Sometimes it will work for a couple of minutes, sometimes just a few seconds.

So this is what I've tried.

Changing the USB cable.
Changing USB ports.
Unplugging all other USB devices (just mouse, keyboard and wireless adapter remain)
Tried updating software again.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem?

I've emailed Focusrite support but it's unlikely they'll get back to me until Tuesday at the earliest as its a bank holiday here on Monday and I won't be able to sleep until I get this thing sorted!

I have the same 18i6 I downloaded the driver and I believe the mix control from website. I use it with windows 7 works fine with everything. I can use it for Reaper or just as a music interface i.e. plug my bass guitar in and pull up amptube and just get the bass going through the monitor speakers etc for a jam.

I know thats not allot of help to you except that to say that everything is working for me. If you need information on my exact setup or you want my driver mix revisions etc, however I would be happy to look for you.

Hi Darmin,

Do you use the rear inputs or just the front ones? I have my keyboard plugged in to inputs 5 and 6 and my vocal pedal in 3 and 4 but I can barely get any volume out of it. I know that there are gain knobs for the front inputs but can't see anything for the back. When I sing it barely registers on the mix control panel.

If I plug my mic or guitar in to the front inputs I can get a decent level by turning up the gain.

I'm beginning to regret buying this thing now. I've never owned something that has been so problematic and has had next to nothing in terms of instructions.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VoiceLive2 should have internal parameters for output level. It may currently be set to send a lower level than you expect. You might also have the wrong cabling between the VoiceLive and the I/O box.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've turned the gain on the voicelive up to it's highest and I get an acceptable level.

But I can't see any way of increasing the volume for the audio out on my PA800 without increasing the main volume. There doesn't appear to be any way of doing it unless I'm just being blond?! Previously I just used the gain on my old interface to control the audio.

Surely there must be a way of increasing the gain on the interface?
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you using the Scarlett MixControl application? The manual shows that this application is how you set the input and output levels of the interface.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am using it, and I have the input set as high as it will go. I'm sure there is something i'm missing here.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you switch cables from a device that you know puts out a good output level in place of the one that's currently at a low output level, then you can determine if the problem is the audio input of the interface, or the audio output of the device that currently seems low. In fact, you can use one good output level to test every input channel of the interface to ensure that they're all working ok.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I plug in to the back has a low level. I tried my vocal pedal and my keyboard (using different cables for each) and my guitar (again, using a different cable.) I can't see any reason why my old cheap interface would pick everything up loud and clear, and yet this one doesn't.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you determining that the levels are low? The LED level meters on the front? Or some speaker level? What about inputs 1 and 2 on the front? Those have gain controls on the front that should easily be able to boost most signals to overload. But don't test with a guitar or mic, since those are low level devices. Test with a line output from the VoiceLive.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meter in the mix control barely goes up and when I record and play back it's too quiet. I could plug one thing in to the front but that doesn't solve the issue. I need to be able to record 2 channels at once.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the LED meters to judge the true levels that the audio interface is receiving. Use inputs 1 & 2 determine that you can get good levels from some output device. Don't be concerned with anything downstream of the hardware, yet. It's a diagnosis strategy to test one stage of the signal path at a time. DAW software is the last in the chain, not the first.

The chain is something like:

Music device line output >> audio interface line input 1 >> input 1 gain control >> input 1 LED meter >> audio I/O driver >> other software (DAW)

If you aren't getting a good high level on the LED meter, then anything down chain doesn't matter yet. So the first step is to get a nice big green bar on the meter, without red, and only fiickering yellow on peaks.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found a way of boosting the volume using a plug in that came with the interface. There is a gain control on it so I can use it to increase the volume once the track has been recorded. It's not really an ideal solution and I just believe how many problems I've had with this. After buying a new OS and then a new computer, I still can't get the darn thing to work! Is the throwing it out of the window option still available? Seriously though, most interfaces are just plug and play. Sure they have lots of settings you can tweak, but most things work out of the box as long as you're happy with it's factory settings. This thing just seems to very good at getting things wrong.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
Use the LED meters to judge the true levels that the audio interface is receiving. Use inputs 1 & 2 determine that you can get good levels from some output device. Don't be concerned with anything downstream of the hardware, yet. It's a diagnosis strategy to test one stage of the signal path at a time. DAW software is the last in the chain, not the first.

The chain is something like:

Music device line output >> audio interface line input 1 >> input 1 gain control >> input 1 LED meter >> audio I/O driver >> other software (DAW)

If you aren't getting a good high level on the LED meter, then anything down chain doesn't matter yet. So the first step is to get a nice big green bar on the meter, without red, and only fiickering yellow on peaks.

I'll give it a go tomorrow. It's past my bed time and I can't handle any more problems. Lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: