Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Punch in problem...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
firstlovedan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Punch in problem... Reply with quote

I am really having problems with this. On my Motif, and Fantom, to puch in, I just dial in the measure. Play through the mistake and hit stop to keep from erasing anything further. Well, on Kronos, just as soon as you hit rec. It erases everything past that point. OK, so now I set the punch in zone... Say meas 51-54. Well, now the kronos erases the first note, or it offsets it. So now I try to punch in on meas. 50, but the same problem. And the last problem is when punch in is turned on, the kronos will not let me dial or punch in any measure below what is set. Say i want to listen to measure 48 to get a feel for the punch in, i have to disable the punch in measure numbers. This is very tedious and time consuming.! But I am getting some headway. P.S.,... Does anyone know how to enter date and time? I have searched in Global Mode, but to know avail!
Blessings and Chocolate,
Firstlovedan
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Punch in problem... Reply with quote

Quote:
on Kronos, just as soon as you hit rec. It erases everything past that point.

That is in OVERWRITE mode. What you need to do is go to the PREFERENCES tab and select:

MANUAL PUNCH IN - to use this, you can Play the song and press the Record/Write button when you want to punch, then press Stop when you are done. The data before and after this punch in area is unaffected.

You can also use a Foot Switch as the punch in. Go to GLOBAL, then press CONTROLLERS/SCALES tab and set FOOT SWITCH ASSIGN to "Song Punch In/Out."

OR:

You can select AUTO PUNCH IN and just preselect your measures.

Quote:
the last problem is when punch in is turned on, the kronos will not let me dial or punch in any measure below what is set. Say i want to listen to measure 48 to get a feel for the punch in

While in either Punch mode, you can go to any part of the song, even the beginning, and hear as much intro as you need. Remember, with MANUAL PUNCH IN, just press the Start/Stop button to play as normal. It is the Rec/Write button that does the actual punch.

Quote:
Does anyone know how to enter date and time? I have searched in Global Mode, but to know avail!

Go to DISK mode. Press the UTILITY tab. Press the drop down menu (upper right screen) and select Set Date/Time.
keekma

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Punch in problem... Reply with quote

firstlovedan wrote:
I am really having problems with this. On my Motif, and Fantom, to puch in, I just dial in the measure. Play through the mistake and hit stop to keep from erasing anything further. Well, on Kronos, just as soon as you hit rec. It erases everything past that point. OK, so now I set the punch in zone... Say meas 51-54. Well, now the kronos erases the first note, or it offsets it. So now I try to punch in on meas. 50, but the same problem. And the last problem is when punch in is turned on, the kronos will not let me dial or punch in any measure below what is set. Say i want to listen to measure 48 to get a feel for the punch in, i have to disable the punch in measure numbers. This is very tedious and time consuming.! But I am getting some headway. P.S.,... Does anyone know how to enter date and time? I have searched in Global Mode, but to know avail!
Blessings and Chocolate,
Firstlovedan

I dont know if this is relevant for you, but it is also possible to overdup the track, this mean you can ad notes to an existing track. In sequencer mode go to the preverence tab and select overdup in stead of overwrite.

Former keyboards:
Yamaha s90es, Virus TI snow, Roland xp30, Roland u20, Roland juno 6
firstlovedan

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the different modes, but the Kronos drops the first note of the punch in measure. So lwt's say I want to punch in measures 50-52. I set up the parameters, and then press record. 90% of the time, the first note in measure 50 will not be recorded.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess perhaps you are playing the first note early, and it's not recording it since it happens before the punch in point. Although I would expect it to put that note right on the downbeat - but maybe it doesn't. You could try erasing the bars you want to punch into first, and then setting the punch in point a beat earlier, and use overdub mode.

Regarding one of your other questions, I believe that you can set the "Precount" function to play a few bars earlier when you are punching in - although I'm not sure and I'm not in front of the Kronos at this moment. Wink

ksi

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a free track, you could also consider to record onto the empty track instead of your traget track, and once you find the result OK, you can use Bounce Track from the page menu to add the new recording onto the target track.
firstlovedan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies. These are all grwat work arounds. As far as timing, I am pretty close, it seems that if the first note is close to clock 000.00, it gets cut. If memory serves me well, I bought one of the first Motif XS's and had the exact same problem, but got solved with the new OS. I will keep trying, and keep this forum updated. Again, thank you. Firstlovedan
i
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, you can be in any mode and try whatever works. For each fail, press the COMPARE (UNDO) button and your song reverts back to what it was. I use Undo all the time!

Also, you can add that note a bit late, go into MIDI EVENT EDIT and just move it to the top of the measure.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keekma- the correct terminology is "overdub". Just a little FYI...
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway, you are the best...great contributions! Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: