Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External CD/DVD USB drives compatible with Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthvalley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an Asus SDRW-08D2S-U which worked great for setting up my newly installed Intel 120G SSD.
--SV
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add the LiteOn eTAU108 to the list of slim USB burners that work with only one USB cable.

It's recognised by the Kronos. I used it to format a 10X CD-RW as UDF and successfully burned the content of the sequencer to disk. I also used the drive to read an Audio CD. I didn't have an Akai CD with me, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Last edited by Francois on Thu May 03, 2012 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
I bought the Samsung SE-208 that was on sale at NewEgg. It does work.

I verified that it mounted the factory disc, and displayed the files. I did not try to burn a disc yet.

Also, it requires plugging into both USB ports to get enough power. I don't know if that's a sloppy design, or a fundamental issue with USB. It doesn't matter that much to me because this is just for "emergencies".

(Although I've been surprised how many times I used the CD in my Triton Studio over the years...)

USB specifications allows a port to supply a maximum of 500mA of power during operation without overload. Using both plugs allows you to side-step this limitation. It's a common work-around for offering power-hungry external peripherals as 'portable'
Korglee

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Francois"]You can add the LiteOn eTAU108 to the list of slim USB burners that work with only one USB cable.

Can you burn an audio cd using just the LiteOn and the Kronos? Thanks.
Korglee

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody?
Product Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: ONE WORKS ONE DOESN'T Reply with quote

I posted this message before, but it may still be helpful.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:35 pm Post subject: One works -another doesn't
I purchased two USB Drives from Micro Center to see if they worked with the Kronos for boot up and restore.

Samsung SE-208AB/TSBS on sale for $32.99 - Recommended
This drive works perfectly with only one USB port connected. I tried it twice to be sure the operation was reliable. The specs state that this drive uses up to 1.4A, and supports both the Atom processor and LINUX.

LG GP10NB20 Super MultiDrive on sale for $34.99 - Will NOT work
This drive powers up and appears to read the disc, but when the Kronos red bar advances about 1 inch a message appears, System Startup Failure. Plugging into both ports had no effect. A second trial gave the same result.

Anyone who has a Kronos should consider getting the Samsung Drive. It is readily available and works great with the Kronos. It is also available from Amazon for $29.99 with free shipping.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I've done extensive tests with the LiteOn eTAU108, and it worked flawlessly.

Various format of CD-RW discs from 8X to 12X, different brands. Creating audio CD using the 4 Korg demos bounced to hard drive as WAV, with finalisation, using CD-RW and CD-R. Perfect, discs read as audio CD by Hi-Fi and Kronos. Format two CD-RW to UDF and saving various files to CD-RW. Conversion to ISO9660 and files read by PC.

As this unit is cheaper than most, and the fact that with a 73 or 88 keys, you can put it next to the vector joystick, this becomes my recommandation for who want to buy a compatible slim USB burner.
levioter

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Francois for the detailed info (merci beaucoup).
I got this dvd writer also yesterday so it is of great help for me to know those info. Very Happy
By the way just for those who want to purchase this item: take care to order a longer mni usb/usb cable to be able to put the dvd/cd writer on the left of K73 board.
The ub cable delivered in the box isreally too short may be 15 cm ?

Just to warn !

Cheers.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right. The original cable that fits under the case is only 19 cm. So if you want to place the burner on your K73 or 88 next to the vector joystick, you need a longer cable. It is recommended to not use more than 50 cm for cables used with burners. The type required is Mini B (burner) to type A (Kronos).

Last edited by Francois on Tue May 22, 2012 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Korglee

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I saw a Lite on eNAU108 (discontinued model) on sale today. It seems similar to the eTAU108 except that it uses a tray instead of loading on top. Last one in the store. Does the tray use too much power?
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the one you mean, but nobody has ever reported one as working with the Kronos, so I cannot tell you anything about it. However, the specs suggest it could work with the Kronos as the drive is given as Windows 7 and Linux OS compliant. So it could be that the innards are the same as the eTAU108 but as a tray loader instead of a top loader. Worth a punt if you get a old new stock at a cheap price.

Top loader or tray loader, makes no difference in terms of power required by the unit. I like the eTAU108 more than other drives because it is a top loader. So when it is in position by the vector joystick, it is easier to load and remove discs than sliding a tray out.

Last edited by Francois on Tue May 22, 2012 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Korglee

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou, Francois. I will try it.
Oldretro

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: External CD/DVD USB drives compatible with Kronos Reply with quote

Synthvalley wrote:
AlchemistMusicStudio wrote:

Hi!
I use external USB drive: LG DVD RW/R, Model: GP10NB20 - Works quick, good and no problems!

I also have the LG Model GP10NB20 and though it is recognized after attaching the drive to a booted up Kronos, it does not work when trying to do a re-install (booting up the Kronos with the drive plugged in).
--SV

I have exactly the same one, and at first it didn't work when I wanted to do a factory reinstall. But when I shut down and disconnected the Kronos from its power socket (leaving it that way for 10 minutes or so) the GP10 was recognised when I booted up with the GP plugged in (wanted to do a downgrade from 1.6 to 1.0.4). BTW, I'm much happier with 1.0.4 re-installed (I didn't need to reauthorise using Full Install) , it seems much more stable. Ever since I used 1.5 and 1.6, I noticed that quite some things didn't work properly any more, including a crash&reboot, and two complete freeze ups, and all happening when in Combi mode.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, noted. Would be useful to know if this drive also works as a burner besides working as a reader.
XooL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just bought the LG 24x External DVD Writer with Silent Play GE24 Super Multi (GE24NU40) from Best Buy today (11/27/2017) and it works 100% on the Korg Kronos 2, without any issues. I needed to restore the software and gave this one a try first. I chose this due to it having an external power adapter. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: