Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally played the Kronos 88

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simajanpa

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Finally played the Kronos 88 Reply with quote

I just came back from playing the K88 at my local GC store. Mind you I now have a TEX76 and have always played "synth" action boards.
That being said , I now know exactly why everyone has been hating this keybed. The velocity curve was terrible, even after adjustment, and the note doubling was very pronouced too. I didn't see the Serial # but I would imagine it was one of the older versions. Completely unplayable to me, though I tried my best for 45 minutes. True I am not used to playing weighted action, but I've certainly touched every brand with a weighted
keybed at some point or another. I also have a baby grand in the house, so it's not that foreign to me.

So somebody please tell me that this is a completely different animal with the new keybed, because otherwise a Kronos will never live at my house.......and that would be a shame to miss out on such a great sounding instrument. I really wished they would make a desktop version but I realize that's never going to happen. And five octaves of synth action just isn't enough for me. Oh, and yes, I'm over the hardboard bottom thing.Smile

Cheers
Paul
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally played the Kronos 88 Reply with quote

simajanpa wrote:
So somebody please tell me that this is a completely different animal with the new keybed, because otherwise a Kronos will never live at my house.......and that would be a shame to miss out on such a great sounding instrument. I really wished they would make a desktop version but I realize that's never going to happen. And five octaves of synth action just isn't enough for me. Oh, and yes, I'm over the hardboard bottom thing.Smile

I've had the old keyboard and the new one know. I think the difference is huge. The response curves are odd, i agree with that, however, there is a response curve number 9 which is suited for piano play and is really dynamic. I love that curve.

For standard synth action i use the default curve of 4. It takes some time to get used too, but then it's a great velocity curve.
simajanpa

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally played the Kronos 88 Reply with quote

qrobinez wrote:
simajanpa wrote:

I've had the old keyboard and the new one know. I think the difference is huge. The response curves are odd, i agree with that, however, there is a response curve number 9 which is suited for piano play and is really dynamic. I love that curve.

For standard synth action i use the default curve of 4. It takes some time to get used too, but then it's a great velocity curve.

Thanks for the info qrobinez. As said I hope for everyone's sake that there is a VAST improvment between the old and new keybed.

I'll just have to wait to play a newer one at some point.
tiggie_00

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a 61 key.. I really dont use the low low and high high notes.. Smile
simajanpa

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiggie_00 wrote:
I prefer a 61 key.. I really dont use the low low and high high notes.. Smile

Well I have gotten too used to the upper and lower registers to give that up at this point. We'll see, it doesn't look like Korg is going to revert back to a 73-76 key synth action board. Sad I'm bummed and I don't think I'm alone on that issue.

Also, I really didn't like the sound of CX3 engine, other than a good Leslie simulation, it sounded very much like my Triton EX. Good but NOT like my tweeked Roland VK8m. Doesn't look like I'll be willing to loose the Motif XS rack or the VK8m if I ever get the Kronos.

Peace
Paul
orangefunk

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the standard weighted action on Korg's has been sub-par for sometime now. I have a SV-1 and the difference going from my RD700GX is huge. That's why the 61 was really the only option for me.

Currently I trigger my Kronos 61 from the GX and its beautiful. Headphones on and I could be playing a real grand... really amazing.

I too was struggling with the 61 scope but with judicious use of the octave switches its not too bad. In fact I'm going to try my first gig (soul jazz rnb gig with me playing left hand bass along with piano) with the Kronos just using the 61 note board and not bother with my GX at all.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefunk wrote:
I think the standard weighted action on Korg's has been sub-par for sometime now. I have a SV-1 and the difference going from my RD700GX is huge. That's why the 61 was really the only option for me.

Currently I trigger my Kronos 61 from the GX and its beautiful. Headphones on and I could be playing a real grand... really amazing.

I too was struggling with the 61 scope but with judicious use of the octave switches its not too bad. In fact I'm going to try my first gig (soul jazz rnb gig with me playing left hand bass along with piano) with the Kronos just using the 61 note board and not bother with my GX at all.

I had the GX1 and agree its an excellent feeling keyboard. I always had the top RD stage for the past 12 years.

I did adjust to the Kronos 88 and sold the GX1. It was not a big deal and I emphasize piano pieces.

Just a case of preferences.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Finally played the Kronos 88 Reply with quote

simajanpa wrote:
That being said , I now know exactly why everyone has been hating this keybed.

I don't. So that's not 'everyone'. Cool

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
simajanpa

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally played the Kronos 88 Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
simajanpa wrote:

Remember I said "keybed" not "Keyboard" I have always loved Korg keyboards, starting with my DW800 to my present one a Tex76.

I didn't hate what I heard, I hated how the keybed responded to my playing......it didn't! It fought back at me and was not an enjoyable time at all. Again, I've never owned a weighted keyboard, and I still would prefer synth action, but I have been playing keys for 50+ years so I've certainly touched a few instruments in my life. Not saying that I'm a great player by any wild stretch, just that I've pretty much at least played most stuff out there in all those years.

Peace
Paul
Darmin De'flern

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally played the Kronos 88 Reply with quote

simajanpa wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:
simajanpa wrote:

Remember I said "keybed" not "Keyboard" I have always loved Korg keyboards, starting with my DW800 to my present one a Tex76.

I didn't hate what I heard, I hated how the keybed responded to my playing......it didn't! It fought back at me and was not an enjoyable time at all. Again, I've never owned a weighted keyboard, and I still would prefer synth action, but I have been playing keys for 50+ years so I've certainly touched a few instruments in my life. Not saying that I'm a great player by any wild stretch, just that I've pretty much at least played most stuff out there in all those years.

Just got my 88 Kronos and I love how it feels I think I may have the new keybeds as it has Keybed made in japan sticker on it. I found playing the piano sounds very expressive and beatuifull the combination of weighted keys and the sounds. I haven't learnt enough about the keyboard yet to alter any of the paramiters. I used to own an upright piano and have two roland keyboards.
Peace
Paul

Rolang VA7, Roland G-70 Ver3, quad core dell lappi with 6gb mem, DAW = Reaper, Amplitube 2,3. Scarlett Fockesrite 18-6, Mackie 1604 mixer, Washburn status 1000 headless bass, Roland 2.1 Monitors, Sunheizer Mic & Monitor headphones, Korg Kronos 88.
simajanpa

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally played the Kronos 88 Reply with quote

[quote="Darmin De'flern"][quote="simajanpa"]
EnjoyRC wrote:
simajanpa wrote:

Just got my 88 Kronos and I love how it feels I think I may have the new keybeds as it has Keybed made in japan sticker on it. I found playing the piano sounds very expressive and beatuifull the combination of weighted keys and the sounds. I haven't learnt enough about the keyboard yet to alter any of the paramiters. I used to own an upright piano and have two roland keyboards.

Yes I read that you just got your new K88 and if you like the action I guarantee you have the new keybed on yours.

The jury is still out on this for me until I get to play one with the new keybed. That may take a while until GC gets the newer ones into their stores. No rush, I can wait Laughing

Peace
Paul
JuneauUnderground

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how Korg managed to screw up and chinger the RH3 keybed so bad. On my M3 the RH3 keybed is absolutely superb. The one time I've had my Kronos 61 and M3-88 togeather, I played the Kronos pianos via midi with the M3-88 RH3 keybed. --- first rate!
Darmin De'flern

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuneauUnderground wrote:
I don't understand how Korg managed to screw up and chinger the RH3 keybed so bad. On my M3 the RH3 keybed is absolutely superb. The one time I've had my Kronos 61 and M3-88 togeather, I played the Kronos pianos via midi with the M3-88 RH3 keybed. --- first rate!

My poor Roland Keyboards feel a bit loose and cheap in comparison now lol.
Rolang VA7, Roland G-70 Ver3, quad core dell lappi with 6gb mem, DAW = Reaper, Amplitube 2,3. Scarlett Fockesrite 18-6, Mackie 1604 mixer, Washburn status 1000 headless bass, Roland 2.1 Monitors, Sunheizer Mic & Monitor headphones, Korg Kronos 88.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: