Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karma is Wacked in 1.6! Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Karma is Wacked in 1.6! Help! Reply with quote

So I just upgraded to 1.6.
And now all the Karma is just bizarre. I select any new song, any instrument, any Karma.
In the Karma window it plays the Karma normal and everything seems okay. I go back to the Play screen...still okay, I can play along with the Track and its good. But when I push Locate or switch to a different Mode, BAM! Its gone and it plays a deep low octave repetitive note.
I am switching back to 1.5 because I can't figure this out.
Any ideas?
SoundsOfPlanet
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
There are some posts about karma bugs

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18867

http://www.soundsofplanet.com/
one Man -one Kronos- and new sounds by Sounds of Planet
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KARMA bug introduced in 1.6 relates to selecting and then storing a GE. It should not appear in any other cases, such as when simply selecting Programs.

Stephen's post about this includes a good workaround:

Quote:

Yes - I've become aware of this issue the last few days and have just finished investigating it. I have fixed it and will release a new KARMA Lib to Korg Inc. today, but I don't know how soon that can be released as an OS update.

My sincere apologies that this somehow got into the 1.6 release without being noticed. It was an unintended side-result of a fix for another issue...

Fortunately, there is a workaround:

If you select the GE twice in a row before storing the program/combi, it will work correctly. Here's an example you can test that also illustrates it visually with the Slider/Switches.

1. Select an Init Program.
2. Go to the KARMA GE tab (0-6), and use the 9-key pad to enter "29", selecting GE 0029 Classical 1. Notice that none of the Sliders and Switches names/values seem to change.
3. Take a look at Switch 2 (example), which shows Note Scale Type "Off" - this is wrong.
4. Turn KARMA On, play a C Maj triad, listen to the pattern.
5. Write the program using the REC/WRITE button.
6. Try the C Maj triad again - GE is completely wrong.

Here's the example with the workaround:

1. Select an Init Program.
2. Go to the KARMA GE tab (0-6), and use the 9-key pad to enter "29", selecting GE 0029 Classical 1. Notice that none of the Sliders and Switches names/values seem to change.
3. Take a look at Switch 2, which shows Note Scale Type "Off" - this is wrong.
4. Use the 9-key pad to enter "29" a second time. Notice that a number of the displayed names/values for the Sliders and Switches change.
5. Take a look at Switch 2, which now shows Pitch Pattern "On" - this is correct.
6. Turn KARMA On, play a C Maj triad, listen to the pattern.
7. Write the program using the REC/WRITE button.
8. Try the C Maj triad again - KARMA is correct, it sounds the same as step 6.

This also works selecting with the GE selection dialog - select it twice in a row.

For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with my problem, Dan.
Like I said in my original message, its in Sequencer. I'm not doing anything with GE's or writing programs or anything.
Its just basic song creation. I assign the Karma and the whole thing is wacked out.
I put it back to 1.5 and its fine, I'm going to upgrade it to 1.6 soon and see if its still wacked.
navydave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also had random issue with karma I/O routings getting mixed up between songs. It happens randomly. Something else is going on either with Karma software or the 1.6 OS. Stephen said its not his software so its got to be something else in the way 1.6 handles (Karma or the existing Karma bug). I just recently went back to 1.5 and the random Karma I/O routing problem went away.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navydave wrote:
I've also had random issue with karma I/O routings getting mixed up between songs. It happens randomly. Something else is going on either with Karma software or the 1.6 OS. Stephen said its not his software so its got to be something else in the way 1.6 handles (Karma or the existing Karma bug). I just recently went back to 1.5 and the random Karma I/O routing problem went away.

Can you be more specific? What were you seeing happen?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com

Last edited by danatkorg on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate Dj wrote:
This has nothing to do with my problem, Dan.
Like I said in my original message, its in Sequencer. I'm not doing anything with GE's or writing programs or anything.

If you aren't doing anything with GE's, then you aren't using KARMA!

Ultimate Dj wrote:
Its just basic song creation. I assign the Karma and the whole thing is wacked out.

What do you mean by "assign the Karma?"

- Dan
navydave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
navydave wrote:

Yes, I explained it all in this thread...
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72248&highlight=karma

But here is a copy of the message which got no reply
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is some background from my previous post in another thread...

Quote:
Is anyone having trouble using Karma in sequencer mode? I use sequencer mode for alot of my live keyboard setups and it seems that If I make custom changes to the karma section for midi transmit routings, for a particular song, those changes sometimes carry over into a different song were I dont want them to be. For example, on one song I have track 1 triggering midi channel 1 and midi channel 15 for an external synth (in the karma section, with Karma off, but using the "thru" check). This is for making splits using external synths and the kronos but setting 2 different midi channels triggered with channel one (but with a keyboard split to separate the sounds.) Then on other songs where I dont have this custom setting, it is still set to this custom setting even though I am switching to a new song, thereby triggering my external synth on channel 15 on a song where I did not want this setup triggering my synth on midi channel 15. This is really screwing up my set-ups for playing live. I didnt seem to do this on 1.5. Is this part of the 1.6 Karma bug?

PS. The page I am referring to is (7–1: GE Setup/Key Zones)(7–1c MIDI I/O section) (Changes are getting stuck/not resetting to default when switching to a new song)

PS2. Also I should add, I have been switching to different songs in my set using setlist mode. (Not sure if theres any issue specific to changing songs and karma issues via that method)

I called Korg on this and couldn't reproduce the error on the spot when I was talking with a tech, so it only happens randomly. Well when I got to my gig last night it happened again. I turned on the Kronos, loaded my big SNG file with all of my settings for songs for the night. A song that doesnt use any Karma I/O routings was set to trigger my external synth on channel 15 (where its not suppose to). I had to go into the SNG and remove the I/O routing to midi channel 15. I had been using this particular SNG fine for 3 weeks at home. I pack up my gear, get to the gig, setup and turn on the Kronos, load the big SNG file again (which contains all of my combined SNG's) and it happened again. And yes I was using a UPS. I get the feeling since I can't reproduce this all the time, it wont get fixed.
PS. This has only started happening since I upgraded to OS ver 1.6
PS2. Stephen Kay already replied to that previous post and said it wasn't part of the Karma Bug so its got to be OS related.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** I should also add that all of these SNG's were created under OS 1.5 and then the problem got introduced when upgrading to 1.6. Maybe the problem wouldnt exist if they were originally created under 1.6? Maybe its a 1.5 to 1.6 compatability issue happening? (This is only a guess).
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navydave wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
navydave wrote:

Yes, I explained it all in this thread...
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72248&highlight=karma

But here is a copy of the message which got no reply
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is some background from my previous post in another thread...

Quote:
Is anyone having trouble using Karma in sequencer mode? I use sequencer mode for alot of my live keyboard setups and it seems that If I make custom changes to the karma section for midi transmit routings, for a particular song, those changes sometimes carry over into a different song were I dont want them to be. For example, on one song I have track 1 triggering midi channel 1 and midi channel 15 for an external synth (in the karma section, with Karma off, but using the "thru" check). This is for making splits using external synths and the kronos but setting 2 different midi channels triggered with channel one (but with a keyboard split to separate the sounds.) Then on other songs where I dont have this custom setting, it is still set to this custom setting even though I am switching to a new song, thereby triggering my external synth on channel 15 on a song where I did not want this setup triggering my synth on midi channel 15. This is really screwing up my set-ups for playing live. I didnt seem to do this on 1.5. Is this part of the 1.6 Karma bug?

PS. The page I am referring to is (7–1: GE Setup/Key Zones)(7–1c MIDI I/O section) (Changes are getting stuck/not resetting to default when switching to a new song)

PS2. Also I should add, I have been switching to different songs in my set using setlist mode. (Not sure if theres any issue specific to changing songs and karma issues via that method)

I called Korg on this and couldn't reproduce the error on the spot when I was talking with a tech, so it only happens randomly. Well when I got to my gig last night it happened again. I turned on the Kronos, loaded my big SNG file with all of my settings for songs for the night. A song that doesnt use any Karma I/O routings was set to trigger my external synth on channel 15 (where its not suppose to). I had to go into the SNG and remove the I/O routing to midi channel 15. I had been using this particular SNG fine for 3 weeks at home. I pack up my gear, get to the gig, setup and turn on the Kronos, load the big SNG file again (which contains all of my combined SNG's) and it happened again. And yes I was using a UPS. I get the feeling since I can't reproduce this all the time, it wont get fixed.
PS. This has only started happening since I upgraded to OS ver 1.6
PS2. Stephen Kay already replied to that previous post and said it wasn't part of the Karma Bug so its got to be OS related.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** I should also add that all of these SNG's were created under OS 1.5 and then the problem got introduced when upgrading to 1.6. Maybe the problem wouldnt exist if they were originally created under 1.6? Maybe its a 1.5 to 1.6 compatability issue happening? (This is only a guess).

Please send me the SNG file at dan@korgrd.com, and we can take a look at it.

- Dan
navydave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, will do!
Thanks!
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

I mean, that I am not changing the GE's or rewriting them or anything.

danatkorg wrote:

- Dan

Okay, so heres what I do.
I boot up the Kronos. I go to Sequencer, brand new, nothing loaded.
Start a new song by bringing in a Drumkit, selecting a MIDI pattern and put it to track.
Next I select, say, a Synthesizer put it to MIDI Track 4 and turn on Karma. I go to the Karma screen and select the Karma I want for that track. I return to the Play screen...it plays normal. But once I hit Locate the Karma wacks out, which means that it plays a single, repetitious, extremely low note.
That is about as best as I can explain it.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate Dj wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

I mean, that I am not changing the GE's or rewriting them or anything.

danatkorg wrote:

- Dan

Start a new song by bringing in a Drumkit, selecting a MIDI pattern and put it to track.
Next I select, say, a Synthesizer put it to MIDI Track 4 and turn on Karma. I go to the Karma screen and select the Karma I want for that track. I return to the Play screen...it plays normal. But once I hit Locate the Karma wacks out, which means that it plays a single, repetitious, extremely low note.

When you write "select the Karma I want for that track," I'm guessing that you mean selecting a GE. Is that correct?

- Dan
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate Dj wrote:

It sounds to me like you are selecting a GE. That is "using KARMA".
Select it twice, as explained in the workaround. And then see if your problem persists.
That's right, select it twice in a row.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: