Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum Patches Sound Nutty - Help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Ray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Drum Patches Sound Nutty - Help? Reply with quote

I got my 2nd M50 recently (had another 2 years ago) and whatever sequences I try to use the drums are all bass-acwards. Doesn't matter which drum patch I use either, the bass drum is where the snare hit should be, etc. etc. etc. NONE of my drum patches clean up the mess, and in fact there are only 1/4 the drum programs on board this one as were on the last one I had. Any Ideas????????????

Thank You.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the source of the sequences? There might be a GM (original) GS (Roland) or GX (yamaha) conflict in the drum map for whatever synth was used to generate the sequence.

Are they (the sequences) referencing GM kits, Korg kits (programs), or user kits (may be linked to non-drum program)? And why so few kits on this M50?

Since even the stock kits are user definable and editable they might be messed up somehow in your new board -- I would recommend downloading the factory kits again and making sure that the programs referenced in the sequenced files don't contain transpositions that might move the drum portion of the sequence down by some interval that accesses the "reversed" BD/Snr pair. Also check the reference drum maps in the manual for note and sample cross-check.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Dr. Ray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Drum Patches Sound Nutty - Help? Reply with quote

I am not sure I can get through the steps to check all of your suggestions, but I will give it a shot. I have 4 vertical lines of drum kits to choose from in all, maybe 30 total when I got the machine. Seems like only a few, as compared to my last machine. Can you point me to the factory downloads Bill? (If I download them will it change the sequences I have already done?)

Thanks Very Much.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

It would seem to me that the central issue is where the sequences came from.

If they are yours - made on that other M50 - then there may be a way to copy from the old one to the new.

You aught to have both Korg Kits and GM kits. The list of GM kits should read like multiples of the same kits (like 8 instances each of standard kit, power kit, jazz kit, brush kit, etc.)

Factory downloads for the M50 are NOT posted here... in fact a quick look at the usual places doesn't show any, so I'm guessing that there's an OS based reset/restore function hidden in the keyboard.

But I've also seen recent posts about some keyboards that do not have GM data... and it sounds like this might at least partially be the case. There is a fix.

[more in a bit]

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Quote from "imptiprogram" (sic) thread. You might want to look that one over]

hi! i found the solution! i chat with the warranty here in argentina, and he gave me the solution... he said that a couple of m50 came from factory without GM bank loaded...

its a .rar archive uploaded here:

----------

hey sorry, here's a new link to dropbox

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77334408/M50_Factory_Data_Repair_Kit.rar

-------------------

See if the above link and data works to restore the missing drum kits.

BB

Dr. Ray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill. I will give it a shot today and let you know.
cymeg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your m50 a brand new one or a used?

i would try to do a factory reset that should bring also the patches back to the factory setup
Dr. Ray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know... I found a solution to whatever the problem is. Both track one(bass line) and track 10(drums) were off by one full octave after loading. All the info was there, I just had to adjust those two tracks to a +12 pitch setting and the midi data loaded fine. I did do a factory reset too but it did not load any extra drum files but I am getting by until I can get that fixed as well.

Very strange.
Dr. Ray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... to answer the question? This is a new keyboard. I opened the box 1st.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Ray,

The first sequences I ever bought (before the internet was overflowing with MIDI sequences) had a similar problem - that's why my question about the original source of the sequence.

The bass line of that commercial sequence was transposed by 1/2 a step and sounded horrible - called the guy that sequenced it and he mailed me another disk in a week (that's how long ago it was). That was a bit easier to diagnose, though. Glad you got it sorted out.

BB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: