Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How-to approach sound design?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roblof

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: How-to approach sound design? Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to ask this question without being missunderstod.

Short version: How do I know what type of synthesis/operators to use for a new sound only existing in my head so far?

Long version:
I'm more a rompler guy that likes to tweak existing patches. Given the fantastic capabilities of the kronos I've decided to dig in a little deaper about sound creation/design.

While reading and checking tutorials I find myself in a position where I can't 'hear' what is needed to create a specific sound.

As an example - I went to an exhibition some years ago about cad and animation. I came to one of the demo guys and I told him that I couldn't understand how to create vector based objects, not to speak of animated ones!

So he challenched me to pick an object to animate and I said a hand, figuring this would be very complex. He then told me a hand isn't very complex and showed me in less than five minutes a nice animated hand!

The thing I came to realize was that he could visualize the different objects that actually builds a hand and connect these objects with links to the perform the animation.

So, what is the key to do the same 'visualizing' when creating a sound from a song you've heard on the radio or one that may only exist in your head and then translate this into a synth type engine/operators?

Does my question even make any sense?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are talking about the different engines in the KRONOS, then it’s a matter of fist knowing what you have to work with to know what you can create. What I mean by that is what sounds they are able to produce.

For example, you can pretty much forget every sound engine except HD-1 if you’re trying to create your favourite trumpet sound.

If you wanted a gorgeous Electric Piano, MOD7 it’s just awesome at this.

MS20 for leads, basses, Sfx.

Poly Six for Pads, leads, basses SFX.

AL-1, this is a very deep sound engine able to do all manner of synth sounds.

Each sound engine also has it’s own tone. So while you might be able to make killer leads in each one, you will get very different results.

So I’d say that if you have an idea in your head, you first need to put a category label on it that you can relate to the different sound engines you have to work with.

I personally tent to gravitate far more towards HD-1 simply because I think there is infinitely more scope working with your own Samples being fed into HD-1 than working with a sound engine that makes you pick from specific waveforms.

One could argue that too now that you can feed PCM into a modelling sound engine.

There’s really no rules, just general cop on really to know what you can and cannot achieve with specific sound engines.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards
Sharp.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes your question makes sense, there isn't a simple answer to this.

It's not a trick like, i hear this sound let's pick an oscillator and raise the odd harmonics and then were done.

It takes a lot of practice to recognise the key elements of a sound. So the key is to create lot's of sounds yourself or use guides to create specific types of sound and remember which key elements were responsible for that kind of sound. (like the snarling pig tutorial) or my tutorial where i create a dance lead which relies on automation of the Pulse Width parameter).

there are a lot of theoretical books available on several areas of sound design, every type of synthesis has it's own approach and guidelines. The easiest to start with is Substractive synthesis. There are also a lot of guides available on the web. There is a thread here at korgforums with some links and youtube videos for that.

So the best approach would be to start with the basics of sounddesign and create a couple of patches. Then eventually you will develop enough experience to create almost any sound you hear or think of.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great question roblof - and yes, it does make sense! You

Am looking forward to seeing the replies on this thread as whilst I can do some 'visualising' I'm certainly still in the development phase.

What I can grasp is what kind of sound wave I want and certainly the EG. Then there's the 'character' of the sound so things like LFOs and de-tuning (so by definition we need a minimum of two OSC!)

But like you say, like the guy with the hand example, it's knowing which building blocks are most relevant to the desired end result.

What I found useful was to use the polysix on the OASYS - it's by far the easiest building block wise.

When you get up to HD1 there are so many such blocks I admit that I am overwhelmed by the options and frankly don't understand many of them.

I know enough to get the sounds I want to get, which includes say wavestation waves, but to get various things going on with different EGs affecting LFOs differently, as well as different OSC differently, then using the full power of AMS - it's all above me! - and I would like to know as I do get ideas of sounds but my lack of skills stifle any progress Embarassed

Hence I really look forward to the guys who do know what they're talking about to contribute to this thread; I'm sure we'll learn a great deal!

Thanks for asking the question Smile
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Hence I really look forward to the guys who do know what they're talking about to contribute to this thread; I'm sure we'll learn a great deal!

I can tell you how i do it:

- 1: first i determine the source of the sound: so what kind of sound is it?
- 2: then i look at the characteristics of the sound, does it have a lot of harmonics or not, do i need Noise oscs for blowing effects or other kind of things. This is an important analysis step for the next step
- 3: then i decide which Synth engine is most suited for these kind of sounds; like a substractive, FM or Sample based

Now i have the source characteristics of the sound then i look at how the sound behaves
- 4: first i determine the envelopes, is it a string kind of sound or a harsh kind of sound, etc..., basicly i'm determining the ADSR envelopes of the Amp and the Filter
- 5: then the fun parts start, this is also the hardest part, i'm adding all kind of modulation tweaks to the source i just created, this can be anything, it all determines on what i want to achieve. So do i need to create my own envelope or not (if yes, then i have to program the envelope in the AMS Mixer), otherwise i use standard AMS sources on things like filters, envelopes, pulse widths if needed, and lots of other things that makes up a sound.

When the sound is finished i add Effects to them which is kind of a personal thing and the effects i'm using is determined by the use of the sound. When i create solo type of programs for ambient music i use quite a lot of FX, when i create sounds for usage in a band then i don't use a lot of FX to avoid mudiness in a band context.

My favorite step is number 5, this is because everything you do here can have a lot of impact on the end result. This is also the step where you can recognise the sound signature from sounddesigners because everyone has it's own approach in that step.

hope this helps a little bit Smile
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty rare that I have an exact sound in my head, and start with an init patch and build that exact sound. For me, anyways, that's not the way it happens. More often I explore and experiment, and as I go along... I delight my ears with surprise experimentations that make me think: I need to use THIS in a song!

i remember the "old days" when there was no Internet, and the way you would discover new sounds and inspiring ideas was to purchase a keyboard expansion library (usually a cartridge with 128 whopping patches on it!), or even a new keyboard....rushing home to try all the "presets", which at the time were golden, because it opened your mind to possibilities of the machine. Today things move much more swiftly. We blow through thousands of presets...thinking: I have heard that before. Or: I have heard better. Its rare my mind is blown with fresh sonic material I have never heard before....unless its through the process of exploration. The exciting aspect of synthesis and sound design for me is to recapture that feeling of discovering something cool or new, and being inspired by it.

In those events where I "need" a particular sound or specific instrument patch for a particular purpose....generally I will seek out something close, and then tweak it into something more original, or closer to my imagination, or best suited for the music at hand.

Sure, theres always fundamental old standards that we can build from scratch (lets make a resonant sweeping saw patch with pulse width modulation). But these things are ubiquitous, and fundamental to learning basic synthesis.

But especially with a sonic swiss army knife such as the Kronos....its all about exploration and experimentation. Rather than come up with what's in your head.....put something new in your head by using your ears! Cool
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.

Last edited by RonF on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you need to know your tools, so you can understand when to apply certain synthesis model. This takes time (like anything worth a value)

Start reading those many articles. Everyone applies to Kronos, because you have all the synthesis models available on different synth engines. As you move forward, you'll understand what do you have and then you'll know when to use:
SOS All Synth Secrets
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Today things move much more swiftly. We blow through thousands of presets...thinking: I have heard that before. Or: I have heard better. Its rare my mind is blown with fresh sonic material I have never heard before....unless its through the process of exploration. The exciting aspect of synthesis and sound design for me is to recapture that feeling of discovering something cool or new, and being inspired by it.

But especially with a sonic swiss army knife such as the Kronos....its all about exploration and experimentation. Rather than come up with what's in your head.....put something new in your head by using your ears! Cool

+100 !

i do this too, whenever i create a soundset almost everytime i have over 100 programs created for that soundset. But it's a fact that only a few keeps inspiring me when i play those sounds. Those are the sounds that i choose for a soundset. For me it's not about quantity, it's about inspiration.

The fun part is that for every musician different kind of sounds can be inspiring, i don't like organ sounds for instance, i have absolutely no inspiration from them, but i also have friends who love organ sounds, so it's different for everyone.

but all kind of things can give inspiration, for instance: yesterday i saw a youtube movie where someone gave a demo of the wavestation factory sounds. I've heard a fantastic ambient bell sound in that demo so i decided to recreate it. When i had it finished it sounded the same as in the demo, but then i got some ideas where i wanted to take that bell sound and created a new wavesequence based on the original idea. The program is now finished (more or less) and i'm soooooooooo pleased with that sound, it's so rich and i can't stop playing that sound, it gives me constantly all kind of melody ideas.

That's what sounddesign really is about in my opinion: inspiration Smile

It really pays off when you can create sounds yourself, i'm convinced that i couldn't buy the sounds the way i like it. I really think that spending time on practicing creating sounds can give much advantage for your own music eventually. Just start with the basics (the polysix is great for beginners) and try to create your own sounds. Don't aim to high in the beginning, first learn the basics then you don't have to worry about that anymore and you can focus on the tricks to create the sounds you like.

And don't forget, in the old days you needed to buy 9 instruments to get the same soundpossibilities you now have in one kronos. So that's a big sonic advantage compared to the old days.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ OP - Roblof,

"I'm more of a rompler guy"

As others have recommended, tweaking an existing sound is easier, and the Rompler portion of the Kronos is HD1. And per QuiRibinez's advice "look for the characteristics of the sound...".

My approach takes a bit from both of those; I pick a candidate sound from a similar category - a lead patch if I want to make a lead sound - then rather than tweaking that patch I use it as a template for auditioning other waves.

The original patch doesn't have to be an exact match to what I want or close - so I don't spend time looking for just a square wave leads, even if that's what I'm ultimately aiming toward. I'm more interested in the filter shape, ambiance, the way it plays.

I then go in and switch the oscillators to new waves, using the wheel to scroll through a large number of possible sounds -- this is far faster than tweaking multiple parameters on several pages (you can do that later of course if you find something that works).

It is particularly good for generating orchestral sounds like brass and string variations. I've also been very successful making big room-filling ambient pad sounds and leads using this method.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: