Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey Sound Designers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define 'better' as per OP's post.

Guitar sounds on keyboards have been discussed so many times on all the forums, for all the keyboard types, for all the VSTi/software types - with very little or no consensus. It's highly subjective.

And yet, with synths that have had electric guitars on them for 25 or more years, there's still this quest for 'better' - even although something like the Kronos can take sounds an take account of subjectivety and be tweaked to be 'better'.

Other than the Delta and the Wavestation I think every keyboard I've ever had has had electric/acoustic guitars on them - including the current three I use today. I use acoustic ones but never ever have used an electric guitar sound.

Is the matter not how much you can fool the audience/listener? For example, say I had a track with cello on it. Now if you absolutely could not tell the difference whether the OASYS is doing it or if my wife is playing the real thing, then have I not (as a keyboarder) succeeded?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it really about the *performance*? The expression, or intensity, or sensitivity, or emotional impact? The nuance and style? The melodic interest, and subtle phrasing? The formulation, delivery, and skill of a passionate performance?

What difference does it make what the sound source is? If its an instrument and it has expressive capabilities....then make wonderful music with it! Not just boiler plate emulations...but passionate expressive dynamic accomplished performance. Who says we have to pigeon-hole what type of patch shall be played by what type of controller, or in what style or position in the music? Make the guitar patch the percussion in a song! Make the drum patch the melodic lead! It matters not.....other than the quality and artistry in the music.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.

Last edited by RonF on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
I would say its more of a acoustic guitar problem...vs electric guitars.

And while im here I'll ask this, what do you all think of the electric guitars in the Roland xv series (or jv)

I see you have the 5080. Use to have the 3080, XR, various RD stage pianos.
I recall the XV did an excellent job with various clean Strat tones. The bass guitars, acoustic bass were very good,IMO
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Isn't it really about the *performance*? The expression, or intensity, or sensitivity, or emotional impact? The nuance and style? The melodic interest, and subtle phrasing? The formulation, delivery, and skill of a passionate performance?

What difference does it make what the sound source is? If its an instrument and it has expressive capabilities....then make wonderful music with it! Not just boiler plate emulations...but passionate expressive dynamic accomplished performance. Who says we have to pigeon-hole what type of patch shall be played by what type of controller, or in what style or position in the music. Make the guitar patch the percussion in a song! Make the drum patch the melodic lead! It matters not.....other than the quality and artistry in the music.

+1!
KorgisKing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF ur the man once again thanks. Cool
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My use of electric guitar sounds in a keyboard is very limited:

I use them just for songwriting and arranging. The actual guitar patches on the Kronos aren't well suited for any kind of use IMHO, and I enjoy having a software alternative like Electri6ity now, delivering quite well useable eguitar sounds for these limited purposes.

I would never use any keyboard guitar live (guitar like synth sounds not trying to fake, yes) or for serious recording, and of course I prefer playing with a real guitarist then. So a part of the discussion about eguitar sounds doesn't concern me.

All I want is a good impression about how a song or an arrangement might sound when played with real musicians, not more and not less. But doing so I MUCH prefer a halfway credible sound: guitar parts with mickeymouse gm set style sounds just destroy any arrangement and make it sound absolutly ridiculous, no matter how well the rest is done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: