Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karma or M3 Regrets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
midinut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Karma or M3 Regrets? Reply with quote

I once had a Karma MW. Sold it, bought a Motif ES6 and a M3-73. I have regretted several times having sold the Karma as I had used it for composng. Still may pck one up used at some point just to have it back.

Those of you who have owned a Karma or M3 prior to your Kronos I'm interested to know if you kept it/them and why, and if you sold yours do you have any regrets? My M3-73 has the EXB-RADIAS and the memory expansion (though I've never used it to sample at this point). Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KARMA is the very same in Kronos and M3. This time you won't regret.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've regretted every piece of equipment I've sold.

While I did not play the M3 for over 6 months, since getting the Kronos, For some reason I found myself playing the M3 and the Karma the last few weeks, They are still excellent keyboards, they sound good and play good. While the Karma function has change (matured), most of the karmarized combi don't sound the same, between the three.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
midinut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my regrets are not so much with the Karma capabilities as they are with missing the Combis (I used several on some of my recordings), the Chemistry and other Karma Labs stuff, the cool things I was able to coax out of the Karma. I got the Karma Software, the DVD tutorials, and I got a good basic unerstanding of what it could do. The Karma had a "vibe" to it that I miss. I've also used the M3 extensively on many recordings since and have a lot of tunes that if I ever had to recreate them live would be difficult to do without the M3. That's another reason I am considering picking up another karma used. I really do want to get this Kronos and never look back but I guess deep down I'm just a nostalgic old softy. I should probably seek therapy immedately. lol
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the M3, but I have not missed my Karma a single time since upgrading to my Extreme (and now my Kronos). But I am mainly a live player and never really used the Karma functionality - it was, at the time, a cheaper way to get to the Triton sounds and architecture. The Extreme sounds better (different converters perhaps?), has more memory banks, more sounds, can sample, has USB and CF-cards for storage, a ribbon controller and a touch screen. Plus the OS itself reacted a bit faster. I never looked back.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've sold my M3 with the Radias EXB when i bought a Kronos. I didn't have the space to keep the M3, and i thought that everything a M3 could do, should also be possible on the Kronos.

I was totally right. KARMA engine is the same, so no differences there. And most of the samples of the sounds can be found in the Kronos.

I've transfered a couple of my m3 combis to the Kronos and for the rest i programmed new combi banks on the Kronos. Because i have more Effects and more engines these new combis of mine are way better then the M3 combi sets i've created (like the visions of shiva set). The sound is better, there is much more going on in the patterns due to the fact that i could use wave sequences and so on.

I didn't miss the M3 for a second.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midinut, did you get a sweet deal on the loaded M3? Just curious.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Niblit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad FLOGGED MY M3 some time ago because I wanted a board with built in audio sequencing. Got a Fantom G6; messed about with it..... a week later..... NEED KARMA Crying or Very sad (want my M3 back). missing the instant inspiration of the M3.... FELT VERY BAD Crying or Very sad

Then I read about the KRONOS... Shocked (WANT ONE)..

Wink GOT ONE....

Cool OH.... MY..... LORD....

THANK YOU KORG.... ILL NEVER LEAVE YOU AGAIN...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never regret selling older gear or boards not getting much use, esp with the Kronos being incredibly powerful and diverse.

Each board I sold off had a few sounds that were unique and very difficult to reproduce fairly. However, I couldn't justify keeping it forever for just a few sounds.

Most of this rompler gear is not going to hold its value over 5-20 years . I am not going to get sentimental since I would rather have $1000-$2000 in my pocket from its sale to fund better gear ( like the Kronos).

While I liked my M3M, I couldn't justify keeping it around , esp with having a Kronos 88.

To keep alot of rompler gear around also involves overlap in sound categories and attempting to manage 5,000 to 30,000 sounds in a large array of gear. I would prefer to concentrate on an instrument like the Kronos than managing an arsenal of older romplers.
midinut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Midinut, did you get a sweet deal on the loaded M3? Just curious.

Busch.

Why yes I did as a matter of fact! Very Happy Funny you should ask! As a matter of fact I could probably get back out of it what I put into it. Embarassed BTW - I'm looking forward to loading the stuff you've shared with the community. Outstanding job Sir!

And I've enjoyed every minute of it since getting her. The thing is ... I have spent so much time making music around all the "Karmafied" inspiration that recreating it from the Kronos I know could be done, but do I want to spend that time recreating the sounds I used (or sampling them), or do I want to keep on making music, I also wonder if maybe there are still unexplored inspirations still waiting in her. Making music has been a wonderful thing, but I never even scratched the surface on digging into programming her myself. I also know that with the K61 arriving, she won't get the attention she desserves. Told you I was a sentimental old fool.
JuneauUnderground

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Kronos, kept loaded M3-88, and have no intention of getting rid of it. The RH3 keybed on the M3 is outstanding. I would love to have one of the original Red/Pinkish Karma keyboards however. Just looking for the right deal. Also wanting a Radias module as well, to sit next to the M3 module, again looking for the right deal.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an M3-73 (expanded memory, no Radias) with which I had a love/hate relationship. Loved the module, hated the keybed. The keys were too narrow for my fingers and I was constantly spitting notes. Also, the pianos didn't have enough bite for me and the velocity curves never suited me. I don't mean to be overly negative, there was a lot I liked about it.

When I first got it, it inspired me to play but that wore off over time. A year in on the Kronos and it still inspires me every day.

There were a couple of tunes in my repertoire that I used Karma patterns for on the M3 that had no direct equivalent on the Kronos. I played those songs one last time on the M3 and recorded them on my DAW. I imported them into stereo audio tracks in Kronos sequences and said fair well to the M3. It went to a college music major who will use it well.

Everything that I loved about the M3 is present in the Kronos and so much more! The pianos are amazing! I love the keybed. I couldn't be happier.

No regrets!
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuneauUnderground wrote:
I would love to have one of the original Red/Pinkish Karma keyboards however. Just looking for the right deal.

Same here. It was the only keyboard I ever sold (with the exception of the X3, which I replaced with an X3R). I miss a lot of those original Karma-fied combis. Plus it's dark red skin was just too damn cool!
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: