Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logic 9, Kronos bounce (mix down)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tordenspyd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Logic 9, Kronos bounce (mix down) Reply with quote

I am new to KRONOS and new to using external Midi devices in Logic.
I may not formulate my question correct before I know the answer.

How can I bounce down a song with external Midi (Kronos) instruments, in addition to software instruments and audio tracks?
or
Why does my approach not work?

I use Kronos as the main Audio Interface connected with USB.
I hear all software iin Logic playing through Kronos output (L/R and phones)
I hear the audio generated by the Midi tracks by Kronos from Kronos (L/R)

I then thought that by making a' Logic/File/bounce-operation' I would have bounced down what I heard. No! Said operation only mixes together the audio from software instruments and audio tracks, but not the audio generated by midi tracks. Even if I do a real time bounce, and even if I then hear the midi is generating audio to the output(Kronos L/R) . So my question is: Why can I not bounce down this way? or related -do you bounce down this way? Then there must be a setting I have missed.

With the above bounce down working, I have to record the audio generated by Kronos onto audio tracks. (which may be what I anyhow would do for large productions using many sounds). This requires very many switchings of the settings; I would have to mute all but the Midi track in question, I would have to turn off all effects on the master bus, I have to turn the output of the recording audio track off while recording, and I don't hear if anything went wrong before hearing checking after the recording. Then for bouncing down I would have mute all the midi tracks unmute others, set the audio input of the recorded tracks to off, and their output to Kronos L/R. It is many operations and some possibilities errors.
So, is this how you do it? Is it obviously wrong approach? Would you recommend different?

Thanks.
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The problem with the way you're setup now is that you're hearing your midi tracks from the Kronos outputs and not from Logic mixer. So, that audio from the K is not reaching Logic.

What i do is create an Aux or Audio input object in Logic and the audio in of that object is the physical inputs of my audio interface where the Kronos is plugged in. So when you play back your project, the audio from the Kronos is going thru the Logic mixer. You can only do a realtime bounce when working this way. I used to record each individual sounds in audio tracks in the past, but with all the processing in the Kronos, it's not an issue anymore. It would still be best as i won't have the Kronos for the rest of my life(i guess) so if you have to do a remix of your songs in 5 years and you don't have the synth anymore, you're screwed.

If the Kronos is the only audio interface you have, i guess you can set it up to send the audio back in Logic but you'll have to make sure there's no feedback loop. If you send the audio back in Logic but that audio also contains the audio tracks and soft synth from Logic, you'll have a feedback.

Blink
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouncing all of your tracks in logic is definitely doable. Unfortunately I'm not using the Kronos as an interface so I cannot give you any precise information here. In global are you certain that you have set up USB input and outputs correctly?
I'm curious, have you tried setting up an audio track and bouncing your entire sequence to it?
midiman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check out http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicstudio/instruments/#chapter=11%26section=0

which shows how you use the External Instrument plugin in Logic to pair up your incoming midi/audio into 1 track, which you could bounce (not offline, though, as it has to get the audio coming in form the Kronos and record it realtime). It is really handy, as without it, you would need to record a midi track, then create an audio track, and let Logic send midi notes to the Kronos, then record the output on the audio track.

Set up this way, there shouldn't be an audio loop.

There's also a basic tutorial here - http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/quick-tip-using-the-external-instrument-plugin-in-logic-pro/
tordenspyd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies guys!
It is very much appreciated.
Your comments were a help.

I;m sorry for not replying earlier.
I wanted to have some good news before that, but I also had to finish some tracks.

My problems were a combination of several things.
One important being that I had several new pieces of hardware I was not familiar with, also I way have an issue, or it may also be 'finger trouble'

Anyhow I decided to give up using the Kronos as the main audio interface. I am using a 12 in 6 out Aggregate device defined on the mac by combining Zoom R24 , GR55 and KRONOS with a master clock of 44.1 kHz and the Kronos being sync corrected. Oy seemed to yield the best stability of the options I have. The ;External Instrument plugin works.

One of the problems I had while trying out, and which I still have, is the the Kronos stops sending out keyboard commands all of a sudden. I use a Midi Monitor utility sniffing at the Midi busses, and the key presses from KEYBORD, which us what Kronos is called, stops, Kronos still sends sysex messages. I have not found out the reason for this, which usually happen after a few hours and the only way I so far have found to get it back is to reboot Kronos. I can live with that, but hope to find another solution.

Again thanks a lot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: