Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replace Hard Drive or Add 2nd Drive?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Replace Hard Drive or Add 2nd Drive? Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I am trying to decide between the following Kronos hard drive alternatives:

A. Replace existing Kronos drive with larger drive (120GB)

B. Add larger drive as secondary drive

C. Use larger drive as primary drive, reformat original drive and use as second drive.

Is there any disadvantage of having data on the second driver versus the main system drive?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same question. It would seem simpler to have 1 large drive, 120 GB, that would give me plenty of room for sample growth.

If I needed to archive some samples, etc, I can always stuff them elsewhere , such as a USB. For others , maybe the 2nd drive would be good for organizing certain areas, or groups of sounds.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the original drive before you could add one, but I'm not unhappy about this because it means only one SSD draws power from the PSU. Considering it's only 160 W, then it's probably better to power only one SSD.

Saying that, solid state drives are not power hungry, so the factory PSU, even though it's only 160 W, should be more than able to cope.

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
arne v

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have the original drive + and xtra 120gb SSD. I have only kronos factory stuff on the original drive and all my backup, files, EXs etc on my 120gb drive.
I have been the victim of user error and i was glad i could disconnect disk nr 2 and let the Kronos start up as normal Smile
If the primary drive explodes or something like that i have everything on disk 2 (including factory backup). I also have an external USB HD for storage and backup (cant have enough backup)
I try to have an easy to use file structure so i can add or delete stuff.

PS! Maybe ill swap the original disk for a better one because it feels like some cheap plastic from a comic magazine.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced the 30 GB drive with on 160 GB drive. I didn't see any point to keep the second drive considering the size of my new drive.

In my case, I had to change the SSD because I was left with just 3 GB. This just by installing EXs1 - EXs12 except EXs10

I'm wondering a better usage for the 30 GB drive... maybe I'll use it as a dedicated disk for database data, virtual memory or something where I can get a better use... maybe it will even be my fast reliable USB memory stick because the ones I've got are pure c**p Laughing
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I upgrade the SSD, I plan to mothball the original as an always-ready-to-go backup. The opportunity cost of the idle resource is outweighed by the feeling of security. I've done the same with computers. Happily, I've never had to bring the backup OS back online, but by the time you have even the slightest regret of wasting a resource, drive technology has leaped far ahead of the old drive. You can't regret the fact that your house never burned down even after paying many years of fire insurance, can you?
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a second 120Gb drive, and kept the original installed as the boot - I don't see a problem having two drives in the Kronos, as Korg have already stated that adding a second drive is a legitimate upgrade - so I presume the PSU is more than capable of delivering the extra power needed.

I now use FTP to backup all my work... fast and easy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: