Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum track, why does it have fills??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vstkeys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Drum track, why does it have fills?? Reply with quote

Hi, last night I had a gig and the drummer was very late....... So the band asked me ....hey dude do you have a loop or something we can play the first set along ??? I said yes I got many on my Kronos (even though I never used it)
OMFG, there is not even one god dam straight groove. They all get busier and to top it all there are horrible fills when you least expect, so stupid ....because the least thing you need is a amateur drumer wanting to solo but yet can't hold a simple groove on your gig

So here I am asking....Is there a work aroiund? All I need is 2-4 bars loop without random tasteless variation specially on latin rhythms Wacky omg felt like shooting my self
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy workaround - load your own. Under pattern you find Preset/User. User bank holds 1000 patterns I think - keep them as straight as you need.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's nice there are is a lot of space to load your own. Though I agree, it would have been nice if we could trigger the fills, and also have intro/endings. Really useful for solo/two piece work.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Drum track, why does it have fills?? Reply with quote

vstkeys wrote:

OMFG, there is not even one god dam straight groove. They all get busier and to top it all there are horrible fills when you least expect, so stupid ....because the least thing you need is a amateur drumer wanting to solo

So here I am asking....Is there a work aroiund?

This is all very puzzling to me. Were you trying to use the drum track grooves or setting up a karma module? I find the drum track grooves to be very straightforward and least of all busy in many of the categories. Also if you were trying to set up a karma module I could see how that might be a problem on the spot if you aren't familiar with the module settings, but surely very doable.
vstkeys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma?? I am not sure, I just pressed the drum trtack buttom and went inside the program to change the style e,g : I was playing the piano sound and was changing the drum through the list of styles inside the programs, was I doing anytjhing wrong?

I agrre would be better to load my own, however there some many great patters in the internal presets, but only for the first 2 or 4 bars then it starts to add unecessary shiit fills and extra patterns, putting a whole in the pocket feel. So we can't alter the patterns in there. ???
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vstkeys wrote:
Karma?? I am not sure, I just pressed the drum trtack buttom and went inside the program to change the style e,g : I was playing the piano sound and was changing the drum through the list of styles inside the programs, was I doing anytjhing wrong?

No you weren't doing anything wrong, but there are many categories which have a pretty straight forward drum groove, that's what I was so puzzled about. Also changing the kit may have helped.

Quote:
however there some many great patters in the internal presets, but only for the first 2 or 4 bars then it starts to add unecessary shiit fills and extra patterns

Please tell me which of the patterns add additional patterns and fills to what is already in place?
Maybe you were just on the spot there and didn't have enough time to funnel through the large array of patterns. I can surely see how this can happen.
levioter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is normal ! This is to avoid bypassing your drummer ! ROFL
Next time get a drummer who will not be late !
Thanks Korg to put complex drum tracks to force keybordist to use drummers ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ps: I am a drummer myself Very Happy

Cheers Very Happy
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levioter wrote:
Thanks Korg to put complex drum tracks to force keybordist to use drummers ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers Very Happy

Now, that makes sense. It is difficult to find a straight beat. I was hoping that would be an option. For most of my songs I have to to it myself, bar by bar, create a fill, copy, etc. I hate manually doing the drums because it is my weakest area. I was so spoiled by great drummers in my era. Wow, they were sooo good. You didn't have to tell them, we need a fill here, they just automatically put it there and it was always creative and fresh, fitting the song like a glove.

I'll just have to get better at programming. Smile Smile
neomad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyC wrote:
levioter wrote:

Cheers Very Happy

Now, that makes sense. It is difficult to find a straight beat. I was hoping that would be an option. For most of my songs I have to to it myself, bar by bar, create a fill, copy, etc. I hate manually doing the drums because it is my weakest area. I was so spoiled by great drummers in my era. Wow, they were sooo good. You didn't have to tell them, we need a fill here, they just automatically put it there and it was always creative and fresh, fitting the song like a glove.

I'll just have to get better at programming. Smile Smile

A drumgrid into Kronos sequencer + better pattern management can do the job easily. You can program 'visually' any fill you need, then use the pattern function Wink ...

Wait and see next sequencer update Wink (keep fingers crossed).
Cheers !
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting,

when I play solo, I love the fact that there are rolls, fills, and breaks in these pattersn, but then your right, when used in a band or recording (like for a click track) all that fancy drumming gets in the way.

I guess we need to program or load up a few basic drum patterns or loops for the those unexpected applications.

PS. why are drummers always causing so many problems, they are better looking than most keyboard players and they are stealing girl friends (or boyfriends) and causing other problems. Is it too much to ask that you stick to your job and return to the background where you belong Laughing

sorry, we all know how important the percussion aspect is, that's why our keyboards have drummachines, that's why guitarist and bass players slap thier instruments. Shocked
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levioter wrote:

Cheers Very Happy

Or the band can get a keyboard player who k.ows his keyboard...... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: