Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS and KLC MS-20 USB Controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: KRONOS and KLC MS-20 USB Controller Reply with quote

Has anybody had occasion to connect a KLC MS-20 USB controller to the Kronos yet? I'm curious if this is supported and if so whether it's mapped automatically to the MS-20EX and the patch points work as expected. If so I'll definitely be procuring a controller for exactly this purpose!

Thanks!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
jaggeddoctrine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just plugged up my KLC MS-20 USB and VCO, filters, envelope generators were all working. I have not used the synth in a while, so I need to get my patch cords out of storage and hook them up to test the cords...but so far, everything was working.

(Note.. i've only tried it on a single EXI program. haven't checked to see what happens when you have 2 MS20 EXIs on on program.)

I'll post again once I get my cords out and try them
jaggeddoctrine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my cords and hooked them into the ms20 controller. They appear to not affect anything. So, unless there is a way to turn them on within the program, I'd say they will not work with 1.5.

Of note, while making changes on the ms20 controller, the corresponding knobs on the screen do not change. So, while I am changing the vco or filter (etc), i can hear the changes, but not see that I am changing it on the Kronos screen.

I've tried a few programs, but the Modulation Generator seems to not be working..

Many of the knobs work on Polysix, AL1, and MOD7 as well.

Also, it seems that if I am on a program that has 2 exi's, the changes I make goes to both EXI's. So, if I have a program that has two ms20, and change the vco, it seems that the vco changes on both exi's.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaggeddoctrine wrote:
I got my cords and hooked them into the ms20 controller. They appear to not affect anything. So, unless there is a way to turn them on within the program, I'd say they will not work with 1.5.

Of note, while making changes on the ms20 controller, the corresponding knobs on the screen do not change. So, while I am changing the vco or filter (etc), i can hear the changes, but not see that I am changing it on the Kronos screen.

I've tried a few programs, but the Modulation Generator seems to not be working..

Many of the knobs work on Polysix, AL1, and MOD7 as well.

Also, it seems that if I am on a program that has 2 exi's, the changes I make goes to both EXI's. So, if I have a program that has two ms20, and change the vco, it seems that the vco changes on both exi's.

I remember this question coming up recently - Dan from Korg stated that the controller is only recognized as a standard midi controller - there is no actual MS20 integration. My guess is that the CC#s for the knobs just happen to match up with how the MS20 is in the Kronos. Cool, nonetheless.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to both of you for the info! Smile

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
orangefunk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this still the case for OS2.0? I have the MS20 controlller and I'm informed it works with the iMS20 software on the ipad... seems a shame if its not the case on the Kronos.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the architecture of the iMS20 and the MS20Ex in terms of its supporting environment is very different.

IMS20 is very similar to the legacy MS20, with some extras, in that there is one full instrument to control and it has no dynamic voice allocation.

As others have pointed out, unless there was some specific programming to support it, it won't know which of the two EXi slots you are working on or things like that.

Ex version also supports multiple patching, which the legacy and i versions do not have.

Th fact that people said that the knobs on screen weren't moving suggests to me that this is working as Realtime control through CCs, meaning that edits from that controller won't be saved,

To work properly, and be useful, it would have to somehow work in tone adjust mode, so probably need to send sysex rather than CCs
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
jaggeddoctrine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked the KLC controller back up to the Kronos with 2.0. Seems to function the same way it did with 1.5.

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: