Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio through USB??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Audio through USB?? Reply with quote

In the various info Korg has put out about the Kronos, it seemed I saw that the USB could be used for MIDI - and audio.

I am not familiar with audio through USB. How, and when would you use this??
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it shows up to your computer as a USB sound card. From what I understand, it works fairly well on a Mac, but on a Windows PC it uses an MME/DirectX driver, which is much too latent to do any serious realtime audio recording. For that, you would need a proper ASIO driver.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
orangefunk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this myself. If I did this could I record Kronos into Logic without need for audio cables and get a better sound?
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefunk wrote:
I was thinking about this myself. If I did this could I record Kronos into Logic without need for audio cables and get a better sound?

This set up shows the Kronos as one of your sound sources in the Audio/Midi setup on a mac. So yes, you can pick that in Logic as your sound input. Works great.
JuneauUnderground

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefunk wrote:

Works flawlessly in my Mac. Snow Leopard. Don't knw about Lion or mountain Lion or whatever the new version is. Im not going to upgrade until I'm am sure that the ton of stuff I have will run on whatever the upgrade is.

As far as USB sound from the Kronos it is excellent. In the Mac you can set up an aggregate sound device, I.e. your Duet, Ensemble or whatever plus the Kronos combined togeather. Lots of interesting possibilities there. In fact I created a mondo aggregate device with my Ensemble, the Kronos, a Jupiter 80 and Roland M1000. All kinds of ins and outs there. Neat stuff.

After all my experimentation, I run the Kronos into the Ensemble via good old TRS cables, old school analog baby. I think the Kronos sounds better to my ears that way. However USB works very well. Also will need to run Logic in 48k sampling rate if you use Kronos USB for audio into Logic.
roblof

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
it shows up to your computer as a USB sound card. From what I understand, it works fairly well on a Mac, but on a Windows PC it uses an MME/DirectX driver, which is much too latent to do any serious realtime audio recording. For that, you would need a proper ASIO driver.

It's actually WDM (using wasapi for low latency). Microsoft's repsonse to CoreAudio. WDM is i.e. what asio4all is buillt upon.

WDM is also why you don't need to install drivers anymore since the wdm-compatible sound cards, i.e. the kronos, are compliant devices. Just like they are on the mac.

WDM has very low latency and can not be compared to either mme or dx.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblof wrote:
jeebustrain wrote:

It's actually WDM (using wasapi for low latency). Microsoft's repsonse to CoreAudio. WDM is i.e. what asio4all is buillt upon.

WDM is also why you don't need to install drivers anymore since the wdm-compatible sound cards, i.e. the kronos, are compliant devices. Just like they are on the mac.

WDM has very low latency and can not be compared to either mme or dx.

But ASIO has synchronisation between inputs and latency compensation on recording because it is a known value. Afaik consumer/commodity drivers (I.e. not pro like ASIO) don't offer this so aren't suitable for any serious recording.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
popmann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was said that it was EQUAL to CoreAudio... Wink
music_avijeet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I have an Edirol FA-66 soundcard and Logic 9 as my primary DAW. On several occasions I've used sounds from Kronos into my projects. However due to the low gain in the FA-66, it adds a minor "electrical leak" sound to the tracks when recorded thru TRS cables (hi quality).

So reading this post i was wondering if there was an way to bypass the use of a soundcard like using a USB stick. If so, where do I find instructions to that?

I've had the Kronos for about 7 months now but have been relatively shy on the manual and also touring hence do not experiment while on tours.

Help really appreciated!
Regards!
jduesenb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio through USB?? Reply with quote

When you install the Kronos USB/MIDI driver, KRONOS shows up on the Sound control panel as both an audio input and an audio output device. (Assuming the Kronos is connected via USB.) If you select KRONOS as the audio output device, MAC OSX pipes any audio output (say, from playing back a soundfile) to the Kronos-connected USB port, and you can route it just like any other incoming audio - To effects buses, sampling, etc. I tried this briefly, and probably it's too simple for all cases, but it seemed to work OK. I haven't tried using Kronos--> USB in the other direction. Other people have mentioned including Kronos in an Aggregate Device, which would probably be better. Hope this helps.

canman wrote:
In the various info Korg has put out about the Kronos, it seemed I saw that the USB could be used for MIDI - and audio.

danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuneauUnderground wrote:
orangefunk wrote:

Works flawlessly in my Mac. Snow Leopard..... However USB works very well. Also will need to run Logic in 48k sampling rate if you use Kronos USB for audio into Logic.

I'm impressed at how well it works with my iMac (snow leopard) as well. The audio goes both directions, so I was able to sample notes from a program I made in MachFive over USB into the Kronos.

The 48k sampling rate has tripped me up from time to time. I work in 44.1K out of habit and it took me awhile to figure out why I couldn't use the Kronos as a sound input source in Digital Performer the first time. Embarassed

It would be nice if you could set the sample output rate. I'm not complaining, the Kronos sound great. A lot of guys like to work in 48K and then convert to 44.1K for CD. I've never been a fan of converting when not necessary. Smile
vortexian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio through USB?? Reply with quote

jduesenb wrote:
When you install the Kronos USB/MIDI driver, KRONOS shows up on the Sound control panel as both an audio input and an audio output device. (Assuming the Kronos is connected via USB.) If you select KRONOS as the audio output device, MAC OSX pipes any audio output (say, from playing back a soundfile) to the Kronos-connected USB port, and you can route it just like any other incoming audio - To effects buses, sampling, etc. I tried this briefly, and probably it's too simple for all cases, but it seemed to work OK. I haven't tried using Kronos--> USB in the other direction. Other people have mentioned including Kronos in an Aggregate Device, which would probably be better. Hope this helps.

canman wrote:

you will have problems trying to include the Kronos in a list of aggregate devices on a Mac, although I've not tested since the revised USB driver was released..
Mac Pro Quad core Xeon
Logic Pro 9.1
KRK VXT-8

jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: