Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Played the Krome today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Played the Krome today Reply with quote

They had one in the local Dawsons. (Their Reading refurbishment is really great by the way). I got my Kronos from there a few months ago.

Anyway, I thought that it was quite enjoyable to play, fairly familiar from the M3 and M50 although the extra sounds will sure give it a better reputation.

I thought the keybed was pretty good too. Not like that awful shallow plastic hinged one on the M50-61.

Button layout is a bit unfamiliar, with Prog/Combi/Seq on the far right, and with Drum Track, Arp, Global and a few others to the left of the screen (to the right of the knobs).

The slightly updates presets were interesting too, but nothing to get excited about compared to playing the Kronos at home.
There was a preset for a driven EP but I couldn't hear the drive, nor going into IFX and turning up the drive seemed to do anything, which was confusing. Perhaps it was merely 'warm' and I couldn't hear it on the speakers in a slightly busy music store, but I was hoping for something more aggressive there.

The touchscreen is much more responsive, although the new aspect ratio and size is a little cramped. Page select looks weird.

Build seems relatively sturdy although not as classy looking as the M50 perhaps, it's nice to see something new. The inset front panel kind of reminds my of a laptop type design though, looks out of place on a musical instrument.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Frostmaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piano sounds on it are obviously better but how about the other sounds? Is most of the 3.8 gigs dedicated to just the pianos and the rest are the same as the M50/M3?
Basically I want to know if the strings sounds are at all at different than the M50/M3.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Build seems relatively sturdy although not as classy looking as the M50 perhaps

Do you really think the M50 is classy-looking? I always thought that the M50 looked too much like a toy.
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly true Chrisk, the M50 is a wonderfully Classy toy. Not only that is an extremely wonderful and fun classy toy like almost none other. Very Happy If you ad some KARMA to it it becomes even more calssy and fun I can assure you.
Slovenec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg have made a big deal about the pianos/EPs/jazz drums on the new instrument. What about the rest of the sounds and how much ROM is dedicated to the ROM used by the other sounds besides those mentioned above?

I was actually hoping that Korg's next 'budget' worksation would still include a clonewheel organ emulation and at least one virtual synth (a scaled back AL1 perhaps????). After using Kurzwel's PC3s virtual tonewheel programs for orgnas, I can't go back to static sample based organ sounds (having an organ background, I'm very fussy with my organ sounds!).

I also wonder if Korg has actually made an effort to improve their guitar sounds after the very lucklustre programs that were available in Kronos' multi GB HD1 ROM????????

I'm glad to see that Korg have incorporated the M3 Xpanded sequencer featuers in the Krome! Smile Whilst only 5 insert fx is now the minimum that shuld be accepted in a 2012 workstation, I was hoping that perhaps Korg could be have a tad more generous perhaps offering up to 8 insert fx.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Slovenec,

Patience.

There are a bunch of folks who have suggested that the KLC/Kronos V-analog synth engines deserve their own platform. I think it's just a matter of time before a mid-range priced keyboard will come - since Korg's managed it on the Kronos platform and already split off one side to make the Krome; the other's just waiting... the Kronik?!

The real question is "how much is enough"...

- Enough of a bargain to drive sales (half a Kronos for...$?)

- Enough workstation features to work as a stand alone (is none enough... "I just want the sounds!")

- Enough balance between neo- and classic analog to make it "worthy"

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the expanded ROM simply covers the new sounds. I didn't look into it but I didn't hear anything particularly new.
Didn't check out the strings sounds at all..

Piano and EP were nice but sounded pretty one-dimensional to me. Perhaps it was the monitoring environment, or the Kronos really has spoilt me..
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You played the semi weighted right action? Do you think it could pass for playing piano?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be curious to find out if the semi-weighted action is like the Kronos/M3 or the M50. A true semi-weighted action should have weights under the keys. If you have a chance to play a 61/76 Krome, put your finger under the keys. Does it feel flat and like it's metal, or does it have ridges and feels like plastic?

If the Krome comes with the same action as the Kronos/M3, that would be very nice indeed considering the price point.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pure speculation on my part: Considering the street price of the Krome-61 is USD$100 less than that of the M50 (before the clearance discounts kicked in), I believe that the keybed will more closely resemble that of the M50's. Especially since the specs show the weight of the 61 as 15.87 lbs. / 7.2 kg. The M50-61 is listed at 14.9 lbs.

Again - pure speculation. But, KORG would need to economize in some aspect in order to provide a workstation for under $1,000. - and still make a decent profit.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, X-Trade actually did say in his opinion the keybed was "not like that awful shallow plastic hinged one on the M50-61".
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness yes, he did.

And not to discount his impression, we'll know what the broader community's consensus is once the board is released. I suspect KORG is counting on high sales volume for this model. The profit margin at this price point can't be that high. The Krome appears to be positioned as an MO-X killer.
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the M50-61 keybed was much better than Rolands or Yamahas at a comparable price. MO6, PSR and GW-8, Juno Di are all worse.
Of course now i own a RH3 they feel all crappy. Smile
|'|'||'|'|'||'|'| / Physis Piano H1 / Roland Fantom G6 + ARX-01 & 02 / M3 61 & EXB-Radias & 256 MB / Arturia vCollection 3 / KLC / Minimonsta / Kawai K5000 S + R / Moog Little Phatty Stage II / Novation Ultranova / Roland JX-305 / TE OP-1 / iPad & microKey 25 & iODock. / Yamaha Rm1x & QY100 / Logic 9 & Mainstage |'|'||'|'|'||'|'|
SpecialFX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should I get this or the korg m50 88 £725 today?
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpecialFX wrote:
should I get this or the korg m50 88 £725 today?

definitely krome IMHO..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: