Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CX Hammond does not cut through the mix
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dg-keys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No particular preset, jut the standard settings without any changes.

Cheers
Dan
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Kronos for 1 week. I used to play with a computer using VB-3 for organ. I ran VB-3 through a Leslie 145 initially but recently used a Neo Ventilator. (no amps on stage now) When setting up the CX organ in Kronos I was well...disappointed. I AB'd it considerably with VB-3 and although got it better, still find it having its own sound that is different from what I'm used to. The biggest problem though is the Leslie effect. No matter how it's adjusted, it's not fun to listen to. I decided to run the CX dry, out a direct output into the Ventilator and back in thru the audio inputs. Now I can live with it.

I had extensively done AB comparisons with the VB-3 to several Hammonds. It is incredibly close. Better than the N.I. B4 I had previously used. So using it to compare with the CX is reasonable.

I am a Hammond Organ technician sine 1974. Own Benton Electronics which repairs Organs and Digital Pianos. Founded in 1978.
www.bentonelectronics.com

George
laandodeman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a gig yesterday, used a combination of eq-ing (few Db extra's in the 1,6kb range) and the multiband compressor. It worked great, so thanks for the tips guys!! Our sound engineer now even complained that the hammond sound was a bit too dominant Very Happy
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also play a lot of organ in a loud rock band. What I've done is a two-fold solution that works perfectly for me. I run my sounds from the set-list and using the set-list edit function, I adjust my volumes in rehearsal to fit.
Another thing i do in reherasal is use the set-list control panel while on organ sounds to adjust the tone of the organs so they either cut right through or sit back a bit.
In the control panel I have access to a lot of features and functions that let me taylor my organ sound to each song. I cna then save that by using my "write set list" in the set list pull down menu.
This works well!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While playing with the Leslie sim adjustments I found that if I take the mix off of wet, say adjust it around 60/40 with 60% wet it actually sounds better to me. Less of a thumping of volume etc.

George
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember the link but Danatkorg posted the "correct settings for a leslie. Korg had these settings after "measuring a Leslie speaker. Maybe somebody has the time to find it . I found it to be very helpful.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
guillex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
While playing with the Leslie sim adjustments I found that if I take the mix off of wet, say adjust it around 60/40 with 60% wet it actually sounds better to me. Less of a thumping of volume etc.

George

+1!

Also remember that, on a real leslie amp, the crossover is on the 700hz, till that frequency the sound is reproduced by the woofer, everything else, is reproduced by the horn.

Regards!
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the crossover was 800Hz, but perhaps it varied between different Leslie models.
guillex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg:: wrote:
I thought the crossover was 800Hz, but perhaps it varied between different Leslie models.

ups sorry! you are right, 800hz! It was a keypad mistake.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the CX Leslie's crossover is higher than 800hz. It's also much brighter in the highs.

Geo
guillex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
Sounds to me like the CX Leslie's crossover is higher than 800hz. It's also much brighter in the highs.

Geo

mhhh I suspect they do this, to cut trough in the mix, however, I think this should be done in the EQ IFX and not in the ROTARY SPEAKER IFX
MRedZac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: CX Hammond does not cut through the mix Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
Anyone recognize this? I play in a rock band and dhe sound technician of my band says the hammond programs I made are not loud enough compared to my other programs and they do not come through in the mix.

Is there an easy way to solve that (except of course turn up the volume of the hammonds in all my combi's)?

Exchange your technician...
Digital Mixers only from Yamaha

http://www.mediacoustics.eu

You smoke electric cigarettes ? - Looking for the best liquid to refill them ? - See this:

http://www.steamshop24.eu
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been on this site for a while and also having played in rock bands for a few decades and also having played Hammond clone-wheels I've come to a rather disturbing conclusion.
None of us really know what a B-3 sounds like!

AND since it is a variable sounding organ how is anybody supposed to know what sounds best?

Good sound is entirely subjective. What I like, you might hate.

I, myself don't have any problems at all with the organ sounds form the Kronos. In fact I get complemented on it.

If you are having problems with it cutting through in the mix the solutions it very simple. Play louder! I do a couple of Deep Purple covers and I can assure you that I do it in the same way that Jon Lord did. Freaking Loud!

It all boils down to one thing. If you're keyboards aren't cutting through, you aren't loud enough. Turn up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: