Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-Audio MIDISPORT UNO Not Transferring SysEx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: M-Audio MIDISPORT UNO Not Transferring SysEx Reply with quote

Why hello there, forum.

So I've had this incredibly useful MIDI-USB I/F for a while now, and it's helped me a lot with basic midi data (velocity, program change, note, gate (on/off), and such). But, well, I have the minor problem of I WANT TO BACK UP MY EFFING PRESETS!!!

Sorry, it gets annoying having to reprogram stuff, especially on my DX7. Eek.

It appears as if my I/F does not support SysEx. For the most part, this doesn't matter, but for transferring SYSEX messages, you can see the problem. Whenever I try it comes back with a message such as "ERROR: Can't Recieve MIDI Message from the Device" (MK Editor) or "Time Out Error! Retry..." after a second (DX7 Editor). Most luck I had was I sent a bank of corrupt patches from the DX7 to its editor (and yes I keep a bank of corrupt patches... in fact, 10 of them), but nothing else.

And before you ask, yes:
I have up to date drivers
I've done a total reset (basically uninstall any remnants of the I/F and then reinstall)
I have the editors and instruments set up right (un-write-protected and such)
The I/F does work (aside from this, of course)
The MIDI on the instruments works
My computer is fine (little buggy, but musically it's fine)
No I don't have any other functional computers to test this on.

With that out of the way, can anyone here give me some advice on maybe getting things set up to send/recieve SysEx data?

PS Sorry if this isn't the right subforum, we don't exactly have a MIDI subforum. Also, sorry if this has been answered; if so I can't find it.

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
Kahnn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame the messenger, for UNO is just a messenger.

DX7 is an old synth, and its midi protocole is a bit different. I don't own a DX7, but I'm quite sure you have to do some arrengements WITHIN DX7 to obtain a proper MIDI connection.

Sınce your issue's solution is related to DX7 but not UNO, refer to its manual and/or search for Yamaha/DX7 forums.

Best,
Kahnn
Yoa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DX7 I understand (ancient MIDI never worked that well anyway), but what of my MK, or my V-Amp?

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, some cheaper USB-MIDI interfaces are known to have problems with sysex. Not sure why, but it does come up frequently for example for microKorg users.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Yoa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I need to save up for one that's more than $50 (the UNO's price), presumably?

Kahnn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoa wrote:
The DX7 I understand (ancient MIDI never worked that well anyway), but what of my MK, or my V-Amp?

Sorry, did I miss sth.? Have you mentioned MK or V-amp? What do you mean by MK, by the way?

Anyway, I suggest you to try UNO with some keyboard / synth. If still experiencing problems, then maybe it's because you are missing sth.

There are USB-midi interfaces worth 5-10$. I wouldn't say UNO is a cheap and insufficient interface. I had one, which I never opened the package though. I use MidiSport 4x4 and never had a problem.
Kahnn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I checked up your gear and realized that MK stands for Microkorg. Well, borrow a midi interface from a friend of yours, then. Check if MK, V-Amp or DX7 works properly.

Best,
Kahnn
Yoa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yeah, the MK is my trusty microkorg adn the V-amp is a Behringer V-Amp 2 multi-effects processor (not mentioned, but has SysEx capabilites as well)

I don't have any other stuff to test it with other than my Keystation, which only outputs basic MIDI anyway. What's sth, something?

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll need something more expensive like that to get the job done. Kinda bites, but oh well. It works for what I mostly use it for anyway.

Heh, yeah, I don't have many friends, and of them none of them use hardware MIDI stuff. I have a friend who has a broken Maschine, that's about it, haha!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: