Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh, no - I broke the dust shutter on my M3's toslink output

View previous topic :: View next topic  
szurcio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Oh, no - I broke the dust shutter on my M3's toslink output Reply with quote

I was testing the optical output on my M3 (for the 1st time) and I broke the plastic shutter when I was unplugging the optical toslink cable. Now the cable won't stay plugged in place. Do I have to ship the whole synth for repair now? I have no idea how it could have happened - I was trying to be careful but (as I said before) it was the first time I was using an optical cable with the optical output so I must have messed up something.
szurcio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I left it at an authorized Korg service center here in Alabama at the beginning of September. I waited for about 3 weeks and when I called them today they told me I would probably have to replace the whole output board for at least $300 + labor (so probably around $400 in total) because Korg doesn't offer optical jacks as replacement parts. That's unbelievable.
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual part according to the service manual is TOTX142L(F)

Most of the web say they are no longer available but digilink say they have 0 in stock but can order, minimum quantity for order is 1

http://www.digikey.co.uk/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=TOTX142L

You may find that they end up saying they are no longer available, but worth a try.

There's similar items around but the one in the M3 is 25 Mbps, the similar ones I found were 15 Mbps.

The M3 specs say the optical ports are 24 bit and sample at 48Khz.

According to a quick google:
2 channels (stereo) of 24-bit@48Khz=281.25KB per second (16.479MB per minute)

If my brain is in gear, 281 KB per second is 0.281 Mbps, that being the case, I would have thought if you cant get one of the 25Mbps parts, a 15Mbps one would do fine and they are available for next to nothing

for example http://uk.farnell.com/sharp/gp1fav31tk0f/transmitter-fibre-optic/dp/1243862

Alternatively, you might be able to get something like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002DR3W0S/ref=asc_df_B002DR3W0S9829257?smid=A1V6Z2X9I7KSQG&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B002DR3W0S

and use some silicon sealant to glue it permanently (but still removable if necessary at some point in the future, hence don't use normal glue) in place in the broken socket and just plug your cable into this instead.

best

Joe
ffx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same happened here, I guess the toslink ports of the M3 are low quality... I just put a small piece of paper under the toslink connector.
szurcio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I called a couple of places but they no longer have them in stock (they are obsolete). I may just go with a piece of paper instead. It's painful because I'm really obsessed with the cosmetic condition of my gear and now it won't look "like new."
szurcio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone check something for me? There is a small, narrow metal part/plate inside the optical input and output (it looks like it's made of aluminum but I'm not sure). My question: should it be on the bottom of the toslink jack in both the input and output? I think it's bent upwards in the output and it's on the bottom of the input in my M3. I'll probably have to pull it down with something in the output so that it does not get in the way when I plug in the cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: