Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice stealing and CPU use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laandodeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Voice stealing and CPU use Reply with quote

In this thread I hope for some hints and tips to minimize voice stealing. This is what I noticed.

In any "ïnitcombi" all 16 midi channels / timbres have the standard piano set, all to different midi channels. Until then CPU use is low and I don't have problems with voice stealing. In spite of the fact that under the hood of the Kronos, it is calculateing any key stroke for all 16 timbres even if you don't hear them because they are under different midi channels.

However, if I start putting other programs to the 16 timbres, CPU use goes up and voice stealing increases. Apparently the standard piano uses less CPU than other timbres. How is that possible?
In other threads it is said that putting the status of unused timbre to "off" in stead of "int" does not help. Also, it does not seem to matter if I put unused timbres on another (unused) midi channel.

But then how can you explain that voice stealing is not taking place when I use the "initcombi" and it does when I start progamming?

Is there a difference in CPU use for the different engines?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, the maximum voice count is different between engines. The SGX1 has the highest maximum voice count.
2. The Kronos is NOT calculating anything for the voices on other midi channels. You may be confusing this with the comments about the Kronos calculating for "muted" voices. The Kronos does this, but that only goes for sounds on a midi channel that is active (either the global channel, through external midi or Karma).
carmol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
1. Yes, the maximum voice count is different between engines. The SGX1 has the highest maximum voice count.
2. The Kronos is NOT calculating anything for the voices on other midi channels. You may be confusing this with the comments about the Kronos calculating for "muted" voices. The Kronos does this, but that only goes for sounds on a midi channel that is active (either the global channel, through external midi or Karma).

Absolutely right Applause
A good improvement would be
an on/off switch of the track, so it dont' play
at all and dont use cpu resource uselessy.
Its also annoying that if your're playing with
a muted/vol down track, if you raise
volume or unmute, notes already on play,
i.e. if pressing damper.
laandodeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

So that's good news then. I should just set the unused timbres under unused midi channels. I will try that one...
Thanks.
laandodeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried that and it's better now, although still a bit annoying.

You are right Carmol that using the damper pedal is the bad guy.... Without using it, I do'nt have voice stealing problems at all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: