Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

it cant be all bad can it???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevestrange wrote:
Re-Member wrote:
Griffin Avid wrote:
A microSAMPLER XL would be awesome.
*basically add what was asked for.
Supports Sample Layers (multiple sampler per key-triggered by velocity [only 8 layers])
MIDI clock in and out and options for sync.

I was under the impression that the microSAMPLER does receive and transmit MIDI clock data. I don't own one yet, but I downloaded the manual and it goes into how to set things up on pages 43 & 44. Can anyone confirm that it does this? This is kind of a make or break deal for me.

I look at the machine as a clever way of sequencing out a backing track cut up into samples that can also be used as a keyboard for playing additional melodies on. Believe me, having to bring and set up a separate drum machine, sequencer or tape machine on stage that only serves one purpose gets old quick.

If it does indeed send out MIDI clock data, that means I can sync the arpeggiators and mod sequencers from my other synthesizers to it. This is something you can't do on the Roland SP samplers (I used to own the SP-303), or even a tape machine for that matter.

you should read my response to you in the "microSampler's midi clock out" thread -- the MS is not going to be a good solution for you, trust me. you should look into an Akai MPC-1000 - that can absolutely drive a live set in the way you're wanting the MS to

It was a month long learning process, but I've finally set up the mS to do exactly everything I needed it for.

So I can confirm all of the following:

1. You can easily bounce out samples from Ableton, load in a MIDI file created in Ableton right into the mS's sequencer containing all the notes needed to trigger the samples in order, then let it play back an entire song of sequenced samples that are perfectly in beat. I loaded in a 73 measure sequence onto a single pattern, but simply had to extended it to 99 so that it doesn't loop right away.

2. You can also use MIDI out to sync any synthesizer and have it's tempo and arpeggiator match the playback of the mS sequencer.

Right now I'm using an SH-201 with it. My mS has sequenced drum samples panned out the left output to connect to a PA, then various synth samples also sequenced out and panned out the right which is routed into the SH-201's external filter for live tweaking. One sample is set up to play manually on the mS keys (routed though the mS filter effect and panned out the left), then I have a split patch set up on the SH-201 (arpeggios for one, lead on another). In a way, this set up is kind of like tweaking four synthesizers at once.

Last edited by Re-Member on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:38 am; edited 4 times in total
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the mS sequencer can transmit data on two MIDI channels at once, so you could also take programming one step further and have it play another synth for you.
FranzK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Good things about the Microsampler Reply with quote

from my signature, you can see i am a huge korg user!
5 electribes 5 kaoss and more

triedMS again tonight - basically the same conclusion

i like many features of it
it runs on batteries, is sturdy built yet amazingly light.
great for triggering USB imported loops on stage,

but i must agree with the below analysis of the microsampler -
the user interface actually prevents the stated goal of spontaneous sampling
in a live performance setting
(id like to watch some videos demonstrating otherwise, of course!
audience and / or performers eye view)

even with key based shortcuts,
these is a lot of squinting at tiny text, and too many functions
for too few buttons (as Roland has often done - its less "korg like")
(meanwhile the glory of the ESX still stands! Dedicated knobs
for almost every function! its joy.)

Meanwhile, the Kaoss Pad 3 live looping features are excellent,
(surpassing dedicated "loop stations" from boss!)
and i am becoming one of "those beatboxers"!

This is what i would consider the fastest sampling workflow,
(even more so than my DAW of choice, Ableton)
and this is the direction id like to see korg and others go in!

(im not sure why there is no looping on the otherwise great Kaoss quad,
but i guess like the KP mini, its intended as a simpler product.)

by Kaoss 5 and ESX 3 we should have ultimate perfection! Wink
or a KaossiTriblalator? Wink Could go for that.
or "Kaoss Tribulation 3"

btw i did try the Monotron today, and its a great "side evolution"
for the electribe series! Review video soon...

benedictjohnson wrote:

It does all this well. That's what I bought it for, to use for loop playback instead of a laptop for live performance in my rock band. As far as performance goes, I suspect that's all it's useful for.

I was half hoping I could do some live sampling or live loop-capture from an mp3 players etc as part of the performance. I was fascinated by the remixing idea of being able to take any samples from different songs and pitch-shift/BPM-sync them so they go together. Imagine the possibilities...

But alas, even though the hardware is capable of doing this, it isn't suitable for real-time spontaneity. Scrolling though pages of sub-menus is something to do before hand and saved.

However saying that, I've see beatboxers do some very impressive things with the sample-slots in the Kaosspad 3, which has similar functionality but a different interface.

I hope that helps!
BEN

KORGLECTION: FIVE Classic ELECTRIBES, FIVE KAOSS!
3 Volca, iPads, Three DS10, Monotron, Classic O1W/FD

See my videos! KORG and other Synths and Apps,
VJing, Animation, Games etc.
www.youtube.com/vjfranzk
FranzK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just give us an ESX1 in the portable form factor and newer sound quality of MS! (i do like thebnew looperband tape reverb effect also)

I still run into ESX / EMX players constantly... a 2011 version would be a hit!

www.youtube.com/vjfranzk
renegade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: For the money its pretty good Reply with quote

I paid about £240 new, was not expecting a MPC/ESX killer although in some respects it is. I kind of looked at it more as an updated Casio SK1 and so far not too many problems with it. Its fun to use, ok the dials are a little sensitive, and sure some things could be improved - I don't think I would have paid the original new price of £439 for it though.

But as a sketchpad for knocking up grooves, drum patterns etc its quite good, and for grabbing samples from multiple sources it really does shine, sampling is quick and easy - and any detailed trimming or naming can be done easily when you are back at the computer.

The mic is pretty fun, and the fx are not too bad, midi spec is basic but ok.

The limitations of only 1 keyboard part can easily be overcome with resampling, but I wish there was at least a basic filter available to the keyboard part separate from the main fx.

I think overall I got a bargain, lots of ways to use it, my major gripe is that it does not sample at 44.1khz and that the editor software does not allow to export a whole bank as wav in one operation, or export to 44.1khz

I do get a feeling that a lot (but by no means all) of the negative comments are made by users with limited experience as is often the case with the internet, I read a lot of posts on this board before buying and was almost put off, especially with regard to the USB supposedly not working, but it works fine here. If you are thinking of buying a microsampler read the manual, watch some videos and make a decision like that, try and buy from store which allows returns if you don't get on with it.

Overall I'd rate it 4/5
FranzK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: For the money its pretty good Reply with quote

renegade wrote:

I do get a feeling that a lot (but by no means all) of the negative comments are made by users with limited experience as is often the case with the internet, I read a lot of posts on this board before buying and was
Overall I'd rate it 4/5

Be careful of generalizing. Wink

Actually, the reason I like it less IS my long experience using Electribes & Kaoss!
I wish it were more like them in it's user interface.

That said, I'm going to load it up with samples from my songs,
and REALLY give it another full try live on stage - perhaps tonight.

To "be what is IS" - not comparing it to these other favorite machines.

www.youtube.com/vjfranzk
renegade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ yeah thats why I said not all the negative comments Wink

I know there are plenty of experienced guys here, but normally those are not the guys saying the negative stuff.
FranzK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just like a new guitar from the store, some people (kids, or the naiive) think a new synth will make them a techno / hip hop star with no effort required. Wink

and that is why Ebay is full of such things one month later.

Music gear (as much as we sometimes hate this truth) is about
"delayed gratification" -

it takes days, weeks, months, and even years for the truly advanced techniques

www.youtube.com/vjfranzk
edpdx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: MicroSampler! Reply with quote

I was sold on the MicroSampler for its portability as a sampler. I knew before buying it that it would not have all "the bells and whistles" that would make it perfect. But what product does?

My biggest gripe is the lack of support or life span of the product, i.e computer drivers, OS, editor and their ability or interest to renew them while the product is still being sold on the market.

I contacted Korg to ask them about an Ipad, Android or Windows 8 librarian/drivers and I was told that "we will look into it" if there is enough interest.

So, I will just to be satisfied with the fact that companies are driven by profit and their ability to meet their numbers by endlessly selling you their latest products Sad

Don't get me wrong I still love my MS, as it gives me the ability to compose on the road or wherever I might be carrying it with me, while still being able to use my own custom sounds Smile
edpdx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: MicroSampler! Reply with quote

I was sold on the MicroSampler for its portability as a sampler. I knew before buying it that it would not have all "the bells and whistles" that would make it perfect. But what product does?

My biggest gripe is the lack of support or life span of the product, i.e computer drivers, OS, editor and their ability or interest to renew them while the product is still being sold on the market.

I contacted Korg to ask them about an Ipad, Android or Windows 8 librarian/drivers and I was told that "we will look into it" if there is enough interest.

So, I will just to be satisfied with the fact that companies are driven by profit and their ability to meet their numbers by endlessly selling you their latest products Sad

Don't get me wrong I still love my MS, as it gives me the ability to compose on the road or wherever I might be carrying it with me, while still being able to use my own custom sounds Smile
johnroney

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had this thing for a month, and then i quickly got rid of it... thankfully i found a buyer on kijijij...
chromatic sampling.. like 'a sampler'... taking something and making it stretch the keyboard? FORGET IT!... logic 9 does this 10000 x better. (rounding up)
oh yeah, and 37 keys? nope... it's 36 with an annoying 'listen to the inputs' key on top... geeez... there's nothing going in!
it would be GREAT to have a 'rompler' where you could actually just load in your own samples (rom), and it sounds great out of the box... i tried the NORD electro 4d... not even this does chromatic sampling as well as logic.
oh well... guess apple is killing everyone right now... garage band sounds WAAAAAY better and is easier to use (not to mention logic, which is cheap now.)...
mainstage is killing the hardware market... THANK GOD i have a macbook!
i hope KORG learns something. and fast.
i like 'em ... but if they put another product on the market with different colored keys and call it an upgrade, i'm going to freeeeeek out and go postal on someone.
just sayin' is all...
you'll find black and red keys all over the interstate somewhere....
electrochrisso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing wrong with the MS is the people who don't know how to use it the way it should be used. Laughing
If you read the user manual PDF before you buy it you would know exactly what it was capable of, before you buy. Wink
And for sonic capability, it has a far better dynamic range than the MacBook, like the difference between a transistor radio and a Marshall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: