Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Toneworks and Vox Tonelab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KramerMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Korg Toneworks and Vox Tonelab Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm new here (Just bought a Korg AX3000G)

Since Korg owns Vox, and Vox has the somewhat similar Tonelab series of multi-effects pedals; I was wondering what the sonic similarities and differences are between the two. Has anyone had a chance to A/B them?

I know the Tonelab has an actual 12ax7 tube, and the Toneworks has tube simulation technology. They both seem to feature the same amps on their pedals. Not sure which one produces a more accurate representation of the real thing...or if they both sound so close that it's negligible.

Cheers,
Rob
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KramerMan,

You are correct - they are both using the same modelling techniques.

I found them to sound pretty much the same. I should mention that I never owned the two of them together at the same time, but I have owned two versions of the Tonelab as well as 3 versions of the Korg AX series.

Right away I could hear the effects similarities - most notably the Tex Trem and the Univibe. As you probably know, the amps have increased in quantity over the years to the point where the latest Tonelab models have 33 amp (if I remember correctly?)

That being said, I did find the last incarnation of the Tonelab I owned (Tonelab ST) to be the most satisfying for amp models alone. Although there was a step-down from effect editing parameters, I felt the additional amp models were a great add-on. And the amps that were similar to my long-gone Tonelab SE seemed to sound different, as if they had been modified or tweaked over the years.

But your wording is well put - I found them to sound negligbly different.

I'm sorry I could not provide more concrete information. I did find that the VOX and Korg pedals offered unique and interesting amp models when compared to Boss and Line 6. They sound unique unto themselves and I recommend all of the Korg and VOX line for listeners to try out.
dewdman42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tone should be similar in terms of modeling and effects. However, the valvetronix circuit that is built into the tonelab's DOES have an effect on the sound, otherwise Vox would not have included it. Even more importantly, the tonelab tubes adds feel which in my experience no other digital model has been able to replicate.

Tonelab's are really great, I still use one and I've thought about spending thousands on an Axe-FX even, but the feel and sound of the tonelab is just so organic. The way it responds to your picking is more like how a real tube amp responds. It does effect the tone too in a subtle way, but generally speaking you will feel the difference more than hear it. The EQ curves of the tones will be basically the same, but the overall sound the way the simulated amp pumps and growls will be different, due to the tube which is simulating this aspect of amp power section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: