Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS-10 pwm, DS-10 osc 2 source

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG - Nintendo DS/3DS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: MS-10 pwm, DS-10 osc 2 source Reply with quote

After poking around the iMS-20 and learning it's an exact replica of the real thing I went back and took a closer look at the DS-10. Apparently a real MS-10 had pwm and didn't offer osc 2 as a mod source, very much like the 20. I thought the "DS" was a clever play on initials but the unit is really a different beast unto its own. It even does oscillator Sync which was never available on an MS series.

Offering out osc 2 allows for ring modulation if you patch into the VCA. Or FM, better described as Cross modulation, when going into pitch. Only after doing some direct comparisons with the RADIAS did I realize AQ created something very special. The little thing sounds great.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know...the DS-10 is a really, really great tool. Its amazing how cheap it is in comparison to what you can get out of it. I always find myself going back to it and pushing its limits...
djcactus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive gotten decent pwm results by programing the modulation generator into the touch screen you can adjust it and record the automation.... cool stuff.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcactus wrote:
Ive gotten decent pwm results by programing the modulation generator into the touch screen you can adjust it and record the automation.... cool stuff.

hmm, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here. KAOSS pad 3 lets you assign any parameter to the x and y axes. Pulse width modulation unfortunately isn't available in the engine. If you set VCO 1 and 2 to square waves at equal volume and make sure osc 2 is barely detuned then you'll get a sound reminiscent of a triangle wave adjusting pulse width by the 'beating' frequency rate difference of the waveforms. Alas, this isn't true pwm which is explained in this much more technical article: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Mar03/articles/synthsecrets47.asp

A glance through an oscilloscope will confirm this difference.
djcactus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon Reid is great! Ive been looking over the synth secrets articles for a few years. Im aware there is no true pwm, more so my ds-10 carts are packed up with my gear right now so i couldnt pull up any tracks for reference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG - Nintendo DS/3DS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: