Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi is fine/external volume midway distorted/white noise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanerz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Midi is fine/external volume midway distorted/white noise. Reply with quote

Hi people.
I've got a Korg XL running thru FL studio. Apologies if this is a complete NOOB question however, I can play fine thru midi but when I hook up with my audio cables to computer, the sound is very distorted at about mid level volume on my speakers. I've messed around with the hardware, software and the levels but still the horrible distortion. Could this be that I need a decent audio interface, rather then running thru my P/C soundcard??
Yoa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are your computer mic is cranked. Turn that down, you should be fine. I personally have mine set at around 21% and even still get some clipping with louder sections. Though you say it gets distorted when you turn up your *speakers*, so you may just have crap speakers.

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
kanerz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Koa,

The mic is muted but still have distortion; the speakers are Bose and are fine cranked up without my leads being connected to PC soundcard.

Would an audio interface hep?
Yoa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Yoa, mate. Koa is a kind of wood Smile

An audio interface may or may not help. If your recording mic is muted and you still have distortion, you may have a speaker mic (sounds wierd) which passes the input to the output. Try turning that down, then set your recording mic to a comfortable level.

If you somehow still get clipping/distortion, it would be useful if you posted your PC soundcard's make, model, specs, and also your computer's audio devices (usually you can right-click the volume icon and choose playback or recording devices). I'd hate for you to go out and get a soundcard/IF when the card you have might work.

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
kanerz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Yoa and apologies. Smile

It's the Realtek HD, I'm running windows XP and fl studio. On the back of the computer are 6 realtek ports and I messed about with plugging them in varying locations to no avail. Also I've messed about with the input/output/ports on the mixer in FL studio, but still the horrible clipping/distortion.

all the best,

Graham.
Yoa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries!

Hm... well, if you want the easy route, get an external interface. If you want free, well, you're going to be setting up your audio for a really long time. Realtek is not very easy to operate, which is why they are used in 'the average consumer computer'. You'll need to go through and set levels all the way through your system, from the input signal (say a synth) to the Realtek panel to the Windows panel to FL studio, and that's if there are no other problems.

I speak from experience. 2 years with this computer (running Realtek HD with Win7 and Ableton Live) and it's still not perfect. I also had to configure certain parts of the registry and set up latencies and such. Certainly not fun, but an actual audio interface isn't much of a choice for me, at least not now.

kanerz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the advice mate:)
Yoa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: