Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do they do that.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

Cool. I would have never guessed that it was Triangle waves. It sounds a lot like something Faithless would use. Very nice.

He..he.. I'll have to have a go at programming that on my Trinity now.

Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

Quote:

I think it is really good stuff that we are talking about here.

Totally, I am learning some really valuable lessons here. I am as happy a pig in sh*t when we have these kind of threads going on Smile I love the fact that the most  effective tips and practices are actually straightforward to understand and do, I feel a lot more confident that I am gonna get some great results soon.

Daz.
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

Ya, threads like this are where it's at.

Thanks, Sharp, for taking the time to put those demos together and writing the tips on EQ.  I'm definitely going to be using these ideas.

To be honest, I haven't actually been programming my drums at all.  Just letting the Karma generate them.  But I think I'm going to have to get down and dirty with just the kits and my own two hands.

Out of curiosity, do you program the drums using the keyboard, the step editor, or something outside of the Triton/Karma world altogether?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

Quote:
Out of curiosity, do you program the drums using the keyboard, the step editor, or something outside of the Triton/Karma world altogether

I program absolutely everything on the Trinity / Triton. I only use the internal sequencer of the machine. I just prefer the sequencer in the workstation to Cubase or Logic. I'm also much faster on the workstation than with PC sequencers. But that's just me. What's good for me may not be right for you.
So just use what your most comfortable with and don't mind what others are using. Whatever works for you is the right tool to use.

RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

OK, Sharp, that's a good thing to know.  Because your drums and whatnot sound GOOD.  Which means that as far as using the internal sequencers, It Can Be Done.  And that's useful to know, especially since I don't HAVE any software sequencers.  I MUST use the internal sequencers (at least for now).  So knowing that you're using the same tools that I have gives me the confidence that, even if I can't do it right now, I will be able to as long as I keep at it with what I've got.
Rebel-X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

Nice one Sharp, cheers Wink
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

RiotNrrd.
It does not matter what kind of sequencer you use, so long as you're happy.

You wont lose out on any thing musically by using the internal sequencer over Cubase. Cubase is one heck of a program I'll admit, and it does offer a lot of tools and visual guides as to what's going on. All those features are fantastic, and very useful in the right hands. But no matter what sequencer you use, it will still only do what you tell it to.

So with that in mind, I prefer the internal version. And that's my choice. Cubase wont make me sound any better or allow me to program any faster. Note I use the word "ME" . Others will have a different opinion. Than again I should say, others will have a different preference. Get my drift?.

It's a personal choice.
:-*

dzm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

Guys,

i've just had a chance to read this entire thread cos I've been a little out of touch for a while. It's amazing to have the opportunity to learn things like this and to be able to hear the simplicity of the stuff that sounds so good.

Rock on dudes.

;D Very Happy ;D

dzm
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

Doesn't bother me any using the internal sequencers.  It's just good to know that they CAN be used to create tight sequences like the ones you've presented.

So, my question is, when you are doing your drum programming in the internal sequencer, do you bang on the keyboard manually and then quantize and track-edit and whatnot, or are you using the step editor?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

Quote:
So, my question is, when you are doing your drum programming in the internal sequencer, do you bang on the keyboard manually and then quantize and track-edit and whatnot, or are you using the step editor

I would be using Step Record at that point.
I never program my drums in real time. Same goes for the Bass Track.

cnegrad
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

This thread is a thing of beauty. Let's hone in some more:

(These questions apply to all forms of synth programming; not just trance.)

1) Besides panning, what other controllers do you consider playing with? (GIVE CONTROLLER NUMBERS IF POSSIBLE)

2) I'm only familiar with the term "Gating" with reference to noise gating and gated reverbs. But you seem to be talking about something else altogether. Please spell it out in painfully simple terms.

Thank you for sharing this info. You guys are making this site addictive!

-cnegrad

Our Jazz CD: The Deanna Jones Orchestra: "Very First Dance"
http://www.deannajones.com

Our Christian CD: Jacob's Journey: "A Feather In His Hand"
http://www.jacobsjourney.com
delerium

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

For gating, imagine a pulsing or rythmic muting/unmuting of a held synth sound.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

There is a big difference in a gate you use from the IFX, and one that you actually program by hand.  Just my luck, I posted information on this already. Check this out.
http://www.irishacts.com/forum/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=korgsupport;action=display;num=1010251187

I even have a SNG file uploaded.

http://www.irishacts.com/support/tutorials/gate.sng
As for what other kinds of controller. Anything that can be tweaked I'll use it. Mainly I will use CC#07 and CC#13. But I even like to use 91,92,93, 94, 95 which are the Effects.

Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

Quote:

1) Besides panning, what other controllers do you consider playing with? (GIVE CONTROLLER NUMBERS IF POSSIBLE)

Well, the controllers are different for each synth, and I tend to work with my VA's more than the Triton so here is a table of the defined CC's before getting into the Triton specifics :

http://www.midi.org/about-midi/table3.htm

For the Triton you're looking at the following  :

Knob Mod.4:CC#21
Post IFX Pan:CC#08
FX Control 2:CC#13
F/A Attack:CC#73
Pitch LFO1 Spd:CC#76
SW 2 Mod.:CC#81
MFX Send 2:CC#91
Knob Mod.1:CC#17
Master Volume
Pan:CC#10
LPF Cutoff:CC#74
F/A Decay:CC#75
Pitch LFO1 Dep:CC#77
Foot Switch:CC#82
Knob Mod.2:CC#19
Portamento Time:CC#05
Expression:CC#11
Resonance/HPF:CC#71
F/A Sustain:CC#70
Pitch LFO1 Dly:CC#78
Knob Mod.3:CC#20
Volume:CC#07
FX Control 1:CC#12
Filter EG Int.:CC#79
F/A Release:CC#72
SW 1 Mod.:CC#80
MFX Send 1:CC#93

Obviously the most fun is had in controlling the filters using CC#74 and CC#71. But many of the other things here are assigned on a per program basis and will give different interesting effects.

Quote:

2) I'm only familiar with the term "Gating" with reference to noise gating and gated reverbs. But you seem to be talking about something else altogether. Please spell it out in painfully simple terms.

This effect could also be called "chopping" or "ducking" too. Basically its amplitude modulation, that turning the volume up and down very quickly Smile For example program in a chord held down for 4 bars (i.e. continous notes), using a sound that has a very long sustain period, but evolves during that time (such as a nice pad sound).

Then program using your favourite controller editor a succession of controller messages saying turn the volume up to 127 and then turn the volume down to 0. If you do this every 16th or 32 note you get a great effect. Of course varying where and for how long those volume up and down messages occur creates different rhythmics effects. I know what you're thinking Smile Why not just play the note, and then stop playing and play it again and stop playing etc.... Because this effect is much faster (see below), and of course you get a different sound every time the gate is open as the underlying sound evolves. Also trying varying the chord by adding in more parts of the triad in different octaves or suitably harmonic  notes.

LOL, imagine, its musical "peek-a-boo", now you hear it, no you don't Smile

I'll do you an example if you like.

HTH,

Daz.

==
""Because this effect is much faster (see below)""
When I say the effect is much faster, I mean to say that because the effect happens so rapidly compared to even a fast attack note on, you get a more interesting effect.

Some blurbage on gating using VST effects :
http://www.irishacts.com/forum/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=virtual-world;action=display;num=1011673209
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do that. Reply with quote

LOL, two people answered the questions before I even finished typing mine Surprised Now, that is what I call participation, and community spirit  ;D

Daz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Classic Threads All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: