Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do SF2 files load correctly into Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmchiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Do SF2 files load correctly into Kronos? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've searched the archives, and find conflicting threads about whether or not Kronos can accurately load SF2 files.

I was surprised to see that SF/SF2 files are one of the types of files that Kronos can supposedly load, as my impression was that these were generally low quality files, associated with inferior applications. Am I wrong on this? Are there high quality SF/SF2 files that I would want to consider adding to my Kronos sound set?

Thanks for all your knowledge and willingness to help.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do SF2 files load correctly into Kronos?
I've searched the archives, and find conflicting threads about whether or not Kronos can accurately load SF2 files.

Yes, providing your KRONOS is running the latest OS and the files your loading are of good design.

Quote:
as my impression was that these were generally low quality files,

No, the only thing that makes SF2 files low quality is the people who make them that don't have a clue.

It's the same story for any file format.

Regards
Sharp.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Do SF2 files load correctly into Kronos? Reply with quote

jmchiro wrote:

The conflicts arise from how old the threads are. Before Kronos OS 2.0, SF2 support was buggy and inconsistent. Since 2.0, it seems fine.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sf2 import works fine for most online SF2 files. For instance try to google a SF2 file for guitars, then import that one in the kronos and add some extra effects over those guitars. Then endresult sounds really good. There are several good sounding SF2 files available on the net if you look for them. So basicly a lot of instruments are instantly available on the internet. You just have to filter the bad ones out of the good ones.

It's a very simple way to enhance your program and sample library.
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, i think my question is better to be asked here rather than in a new thread.. Can we convert SF2 files into a sets of PCG and KSC after the SF2 has been loaded?? Thanks..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
a lot of instruments are instantly available on the internet. You just have to filter the bad ones out of the good ones.

It's a very simple way to enhance your program and sample library.

You can also use programs like SampleRobot and Extreme Sample Converter to create soundfonts of your own, so you can often bring sounds from your other keyboards or VSTs into the Kronos, to make them all available live from within a single keyboard.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
Hey guys, i think my question is better to be asked here rather than in a new thread.. Can we convert SF2 files into a sets of PCG and KSC after the SF2 has been loaded?? Thanks..

Yes
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
1jordyzzz wrote:

Yes

How?

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same way you save any sample based program. It's in the manual.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , I undarstand that Kronos makes it possible to use SF2, like a charm.
How does this compared to Korg Pa 4 X?
I mean Robin says that Kronos can load it perfectly and than just adding som FX is what you need to sound even better.
In KORGPa4X you have very limited Sf2 editing and importing.
Some times you just can,t import.
Is there any way to use Sf2 like in Kronos?

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF2 files are just wave files with a wrapper. Kronos imports it and converts them to RAM until they are saved to disk. IDK about the other board, if it has a sampling mode on it it should be able to. I'm sure ALL of Korg's newer board use pretty much the same core OS.
McEdvard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this video about patching sf2 files before importing them to the Kronos.
Does anyone know what this does, and if it is still necessary before importing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7110nUT1hnk
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the patch is needed since a software update.

Last time I tried this (a few years back) sf2 files were fickle. The files can contain parameters that appear to confuse Kronos resulting in an awful mess of samples being split over several programs or oscillators...

I made the following DRAFT notes using Polyphone:

Velocity range MUST be set in global to: 0-127 otherwise Kronos imports several instruments / programs.

Note that velocity ranges must all be specified in bands which are EXACTLY the same for all keys otherwise Kronos doesn’t import properly. For example if one key is a single sample of 0-127 and then the next is two samples from 0-50 + 51-127 then this will not work properly (Kronos may then import two sets of samples - one into OSC 1 and the other into OSC2 - or even multiple instruments or programs).

This suggests that not all sf2 files are compatible without some tinkering - hope that helps
McEdvard

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply! Very Happy

I have come across a huge amount of sample libraries from the Emulator III so I guess I have a lot of work ahead of me...

I will try out the Polyphone software!
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem

This article is good to show how the samples need to be arranged with regards to velocity http://thekronosblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/converting-sample-libraries-to-kronos.html obviously it is one of the more complicated programs but you get the general idea... Note that the sample sets can still stretch multiple keys as long as the sample start keys and end keys for that range of keys align vertically for any particular set - the article shows only one set of samples for each key - this isn't needed.

With regards to the example I gave above the single sample (velocity 0-127) would need to be duplicated and from memory given a suitable name and then slotted into the next velocity layer (i.e. 51-127) if you want multiple velocity layers, so this will ultimately produce a larger file. You may be able to change this after converting to PCG on Kronos but I haven't investigated that.

With Polyphone the loop points etc seem to work fine - Happy converting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: