Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yet another Pa600 question ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony mads usa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: yet another Pa600 question ... Reply with quote

I tried extracting a ZIP file of the Musikant Styles and got this message...
------------------------------------------------------------
WINDOWS SECURITY WARNING
Windows has found that this file is potentially harmful.
To protect your computer Windows has blocked access to this file.

Name: BANK01.PRF

------------------------------------------------------------
I then went to the files that did extract which were in a folder labeled MusikantPa3xStyle.SET ... that folder shows 'sub' folders labeled GLOBAL, MULTISMP, PAD, PCM, PERFORM, but all the folders except GLOBAL are empty ... Shouldn't there be a STYLE folder???
Anyway, I copied them to a USB and tried to load the files into my Pa600 and even though it seemed to 'go through the motions' of loading, nothing happened ...

Any advice?
Question
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows defender (or your antivirus) has blocked that file so you can't copy or use performance bank that is probably your wanted resource..
Try to always download freeware goodies from official sites and not republished from identified sites that you can be infected !

Besides I don't believe that someone can find useful to attach a malware software in a Korg.SET , therefore this strange behavior
of windows defender probably means that your system is under virus attack , and your files including your Zip-Rar files are infected
since malware is expanding to any existing file in your PC !
In that case you must urgently scan your whole PC with strong antivirus & spyware software before it's too late !!!

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
adimatis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind also that all antivirus programs read the code of a particular file for suspicious combinations of bits of information. So, it is quite easy to get false positive scan result, particularly when the respective code is not actually for use under a Windows environment.

I wouldn't be too woried. Still, if you really want to double check, make sure you do not just go online searching for an "instant scan" of your PC. This is the way to get infected, as there are alot of false antiviruses that actually damage you computer. Go to places like www.avast.com that are official, known names in the industry.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adimatis wrote:
I wouldn't be too woried.

You should have been worried too !
There is no official antivirus or anti-spyware software in world to find the slightest suspicious code line in a STY file !
Also every file has an identifier code line at the beginning and system recognizes it as PC,Mac or any OS file
otherwise it's totally ignored by system , like an STY file.
The wise option is to download an official trial antivirus like Avast with signatures database and check his system
that seems to be infected and extends to any file like compressed STY files !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
tony mads usa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antony ... at your advice I am running the AVAST free version right now ... I will see what comes up ...

What was strange was that the Musikant files I tried to un-zip were sent to me by reputable people ... Why would they be OK on their computers, but not on mine? ... Also, after I tried to unzip the second zipped folder I got and received the message above, I went back to that folder and double clicked it and it opened showing all the Musikant sub-folders ... I 'copied' the STYLES sub folder onto my Pa600 USB drive and was able to LOAD all the styles into the board ...
I am not sure why when I went to un-zip the folder and clicked on 'EXTRACT' I got the Windows warning, but when I just double clicked on the zipped folder it opened with no problem ... Strange ...

I have another question - I only D/L the STYLES ... if I D/L the SONGBOOK will it replace everything that is in the songbook on my kbI or only add new stuff?

And one sub-folder is titled SOUNDS ... are there new/changed sounds to load as well?

As you can tell, I am VERY new to KORG ...

Thank you for your assistance ...
tony mads usa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After running AVAST free, three files showed as being potentially harmful, but nothing showing any relativity to the Musikant files ... also, I have found that the BANK01 referenced above is found in the PERFORM folder ... Just clicking on any of the PRF BANKS results in the same warning message ...

And after doing a little more 'digging' I found that the PAD, PCM, and SOUND folders are empty, so there is nothing to D/L there ...
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the base knowledge as Software developer to create any level of harmful software, even rootkit hidden scripts , therefore I know
all fundamental principles and I'll simply describe in a few lines what can really happen in such an occasion !

- A virus software recreates itself in order to get control of your entire PC
- One of files that virus prefers to hide itself from system defense or antivirus is compressed file.
- Sometimes an official good antivirus can see only the top of mountain of a sophisticated harmful software !
- In some cases users download a clean file and then this file is infected from their own virus , so for instance if a friend
of yours is infected without his knowledge , then you also get infected by some files he will sent you !

Therefore never trust users , it's a matter of knowledge and not matter of trust , since a simple data CD-DVD
or USB stick can really destroy your entire PC if user who wrote it has been infected ! Over-estimated ? Yes ... but entirely true !!!

Another thing you still misunderstand is that defender has quarantined the performance file and you will be able
to unzip it only after disabling all your PC protection , thing which is not recommended !
In all other cases your set file will be always with empty files , though seem to be UnZipped !

Ask for official URL and download file yourself , or send me this URL link to find out myself what is really wrong and help you !

As concerned to a clean xxx.SET , open it and just load subcategory you need , not the whole SET !

tony mads usa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antony ... again THANK YOU for your feedback and input ... it is much appreciated ...
Just so you know, I would never disable my virus protection and then open a file that was sent to me ...

For my future reference, when KORG issues a new set as they did with Musikant, does it come with PAD, PERFORMANCE, and SOUND files?

I did load the styles one category at a time ...

I am not certain I understand what you mean by this:
Ask for official URL and download file yourself , or send me this URL link to find out myself what is really wrong and help you !
I assume by the official URL you are talking about the KORG site, but I am not sure what URL you are referring in the second part of your statement ...

Again, thank you for your help ...
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never notice file sources since I do not care , but if official source of reference set is Korg site ,
then infection issue is entirely yours !

tony mads usa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files were sent to me from other users via e-mail ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: