Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inquiry regarding Pa600/ Pa600qt capabilities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shahen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Inquiry regarding Pa600/ Pa600qt capabilities Reply with quote

Dear All

i'm kind of new to KORG and decided to by PA600qt, here i'm desperate for your professional advice, the issue is that i've been checking if it REALLY can load PA series uncompressed PCM, i've read the manual and compared it to PA800 and PA500 manuals (loading PCM indirectly by loading related sound, merging PCM from different sets,increasing device loading time,.........) and became under impression that it CAN load new PCM through USB, however, when contacted KORG support and KORG local distributor to have confirmation i had NO direct answer to my question and to be honest i became frustrated

Hence, i'd like to ask:

1- is PA600/pa600qt capable of loading new PCMs to its 96 MByte additional RAM through USB? i.e., can i simply have new PCMs(of course included within the sound) from web or a friend and load them to USB, insert the USB in PA600/PA600qt then load the sound related to required PCM, and the NEW PCM will be ready to be used just like the built in/factory loaded samples??

2-what is the use of microSD card slot? i'm under impression that it is dedicated for additional resources produced specially by KORG and will share the 96MByte with other samples loaded through USB.

thanks in advance for helping me with this, it is much appreciated.

Regards

Shahen
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Inquiry regarding Pa600/ Pa600qt capabilities Reply with quote

shahen wrote:
what is the use of microSD card slot? i'm under impression that it is dedicated for additional resources produced specially by KORG and will share the 96MByte with other samples loaded through USB.

Well understood !!! no more comments for the time being !
For the rest of your quotes :
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=529583#529583

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Stratario

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me take a shot at answering your question. In the Korg world, if you want to use the sounds and rhythms that a friend has, he would not give you PCMs. If it is one single sample, he would give a ksf file. If is is a series of samples to assign to different keys , or if it is a series of samples to assign to different keys as a percussion instrument, then he would give you several ksf files and one kmp file.

If your friend gives you a complete set consisting of many sounds and rhythms, then there would be many samples in them. But they are no longer in the form of ksf and kmp. Korg takes all of the ksf and kmp files that are brought into it and lumps them together in a series of PCM files.

So when you ask the question if you can load PCM in Korg Pa600, as if you mean to ask if you can load samples in the keyboard, then the answer is yes and no.

My understanding is that you cannot import individual ksf and kmp samples. But if you take a complete set from your friend that was made on a Korg Pa1X, Pa2X, Pa3X, or Pa800, you can surely load them in Pa600 and it would load the complete set, including all the samples that are contained in the PCM files.

Hope this information helps with your decision.

Amoo Farrokh
sranj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2-what is the use of microSD card slot? i'm under impression that it is dedicated for additional resources produced specially by KORG and will share the 96MByte with other samples loaded through USB.

here, in india there is a localized set which is supplied in a '.set' file. this file has encrypted pcm samples.
along with the set, a micro sd card is provided that acts as a dongle to decrypt the samples.

pa600 does not seem to read ksf files.
i think, if one wants, one can select and load pcm data alone from inside a set.
shahen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for you all, having your reply was very helpful, the reason why i put this inquiry was because i'm interested in different musical genres, including oriental (Persian, Turkish, Armenian, Arabic/gulf Arabic/Iraqi), as you know each one of these has its own instruments to use, i've noticed that KORG is mainly used and there are many available resources, so i wanted to be sure not to be limited and be able to load / play different instruments/styles(rhythm),i.e. import new SAMPLES that to the arranger, also, I can’t but notice what KORG provides regarding Sound Edition, it is far more sophisticated than other products in the same category. I’m limited somehow by fund so Editing samples are not something I’m looking for(I don’t think that I might need it , sound edition is more than enough for me), 96 Mbytes are quite good size imo even at these days standards, having direct access buttons to sounds/rhythms/perfs would be nice but that would be considered luxury hence extra money. The only other keyboard in the same category and price range that is available in my region is Yamaha PSR-A2000(very similar to OR-700 which I’ve played on regularly), it is good device and offers some nice options(direct sound control/selection buttons, good/very good factory occidental/oriental styles), however, for some reason I can’t find myself attracted to YAMAHA as much as to KORG……..don’t ask why!!!!!!

Here, I’ve tried to provide a fair good analysis for why I’m choosing PA 600qt, if you feel i may need to consider extra points regarding my selection or if you do have different perspective then I’ll be more than happy to hear from you, again your advice and infos that you’ve provided are very helpful.

Thanks and Regards for all

Shahen
workplace85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My understanding is that you cannot import individual ksf and kmp samples. But if you take a complete set from your friend that was made on a Korg Pa1X, Pa2X, Pa3X, or Pa800, you can surely load them in Pa600 and it would load the complete set, including all the samples that are contained in the PCM files. "

Amoo Farrokh, i have a complete sample set made on the Kronos, it is in ksf and kmp forms. How can i load it onto the Pa600? The keyboard does not recognize or see the files at all... could you tell me any advice that you have experienced?
Stratario

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only think I can think of would be to have a friend who has a Pa800, or a Pa2X, to load these ksf and kmp files for you and then make a "set". You then then load that set into your Pa600 in one shot.

I am sure Korg Pa800 and 2X would read ksf and kmp files from the Triton series. Am not sure however if they can read the same type of files from the Kronos series. Maybe somebody else can answer that question.

Amoo Farrokh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: