Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Save sequence on a Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybermooks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: How to Save sequence on a Kronos? Reply with quote

This is an embarrassingly stupid question, but having just got a Kronos X88 I can't find a way to easily save a sequence. There is no save button and there is no save command in the menus, which is driving me crazy. Pressing disk doesn't quite do it either. I did save one but can't recall how. I'd appreciate a simple explanation, because I'm losing work.

I find the sequencer is mainly useful as a scratchpad but I want to work quickly and not fiddle with basic commands.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Disk Mode and press the Save tab. Then you can select Save Seq from the menu.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if you make up a bunch of songs in sequencer mode and then save them in disk mode you'll be saving all those songs as one .SNG file. this can get a bit confusing at times but if you read through the manuals and work through the procedures you will get the hang of it. and also after you boot up, you will have to load the .SNG file before you will be able to use them.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg has a good point. The korg sequencer can seem a bit confusing and quirky at first. It's really not a bad sequencer so give it a chance and it should prove to be decent for a scratch pad work place or even a bit more.
cybermooks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sequencer is truly awful, and of limited use even for a scratch pad which is all I want. When you try to load a sequence or song you recorded from the sequencer menu there is nothing there but a list of blank songs. You have to go to disk mode to save it as well as find it. So then you press load and go back to the sequencer and it is still showing song 000, not your song.

Ive been at this over 30 years and have used most other Korg products as they've evolved and I've never seen anything this convoluted. The manual is no help, not that you even get a manual any more apart from a pdf- where's Stanley Junglieb? The manuals used to be great. Not this one.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybermooks wrote:
I think the sequencer is truly awful, and of limited use even for a scratch pad which is all I want. When you try to load a sequence or song you recorded from the sequencer menu there is nothing there but a list of blank songs. You have to go to disk mode to save it as well as find it. So then you press load and go back to the sequencer and it is still showing song 000, not your song.

Ive been at this over 30 years and have used most other Korg products as they've evolved and I've never seen anything this convoluted. The manual is no help, not that you even get a manual any more apart from a pdf- where's Stanley Junglieb? The manuals used to be great. Not this one.

While in SEQ Mode you have to "Rename Song" from the "Page Menu". Then you can save in Disk Mode. Be sure to remember where you saved it.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find the sequencer bad at all but that might be just because of my writing style. For many years I used a Yamaha QX-3 so I guess I'm used to this kind of sequencer. I find the Kronos one to be quite similar.

When saving sequences/songs I find it's very helpful to "rename" it. The drop-down menu has a rename function. Then when I'm done, I just go to disc mode and save the song. Sng is what Korg calls it.

When I want to get back to writing some more I go to disc mode again and load that very same sng.
My only gripe is that after I've done this I can't overwrite audio tracks. At least yet since I don't know how to.

Hope this helps!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
cybermooks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try what was suggested but I still don't trust it; I'm saving in Logic. I've also had the instrument array fail to be saved with the sequence and have to manually reset everything, assuming I remember what was where.

Okay there are ways to save but it shouldn't be that convoluted and counterintuitive. A simple save command is a no brainer.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you go through the procedures in the Sequencer section of the OG, that might help. Mike Conway might also have some videos on this. The Triton series tutorials also have some good info. The Triton & Kronos sequencers have a lot in common.
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybermooks wrote:
Okay there are ways to save but it shouldn't be that convoluted and counterintuitive. A simple save command is a no brainer.

Yup. That´s what I said a long time ago. You are victim number N++.
But hey: It´s proven software from 1995. And don´t forget the path length=73+/-3 character feature. Rolling Eyes

Never change a running system that still sells. Cool
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS of last night I tried a small experiment. I opened a new song location; an blank one; then I copied the song that I was working on without the track information to the new location.
Then I just copied each track until I had the song and now I had all the available open audio tracks that I wanted. Excluding of course the ones that I was keeping.
I still think there should be an easier way to do this but so far I haven't yet found it.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I don't find the sequencer bad at all but that might be just because of my writing style. For many years I used a Yamaha QX-3 so I guess I'm used to this kind of sequencer. I find the Kronos one to be quite similar.

When saving sequences/songs I find it's very helpful to "rename" it. The drop-down menu has a rename function. Then when I'm done, I just go to disc mode and save the song. Sng is what Korg calls it.

When I want to get back to writing some more I go to disc mode again and load that very same sng.
My only gripe is that after I've done this I can't overwrite audio tracks. At least yet since I don't know how to.

Hope this helps!

I assume when you say " overwrite audio tracks", you mean when Saving in disk mode?

OG-page 259 "File already exists"...

-Meaning: When recording an audio track, an
identically‐named WAVE file exists in the save destination
on the disk.
• Either delete the existing file, or use the Sequencer
P0– Preference page to specify a different name.

-Meaning: When saving a .SNG file, a separate
directory is created for the Song’s audio files. The
directory’s name consists of the .SNG file name
followed by “_A” (for “Audio”). If this error appears
when saving a .SNG file, it can mean that a directory
with this name already exists. To solve this problem:
• Change the .SNG file name to something other than
the name of an existing directory, and then save the
data again.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or...
Page 643 of the PG...

Last edited by ronnfigg on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 am; edited 2 times in total
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ronnfigg. I just checked for that info on those pages that you suggested and it looks to me like I need to get a newer version of the manuals. Oops!

When I say "Overwrite audio tracks", what I meant was to record new audio over the old tracks. For example, if I decided the next day that my guitar track just wasn't good enough I might want to record a new one. However if I want to record it over the same track and I had saved it to the SSD the day before, my Kronos tells me that "the file already exists". So it won't let me record onto that track anymore.

Ir's my fault for thinking I can look at the audio recording as recording to tape but I'm just kind of wired that way. Not for from being 60! Played my first gig in '69.
I just expect to be able to record over tracks and get a trifle annoyed when technology doesn't act the way I want it to. My bad!

So getting back to my original question. How exactly do I get to record over an old audio track in a song when I come back to it after I've previously saved it to disc?
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Or...
Page 643 of the PG...

I believe this section talks about deleting and erasing audio tracks. So search that in the PDF and see if you can find the references. you should be able to overdub the track. I guess you could just select all the measures in the track and then do the overdub and see if that works. I think Korg was trying to make it hard for people to accidentally overwrite files that they didn't want to. the new manuals come with every OS release. you should be using 2.0.6 which is the latest OS. when you decompress the update the manuals will be in their own folder. I don't think much of that has changed in the last OS updates, maybe just the page numbers have. I hope this helps get you going in the right direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: