Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Keybeds OK Now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vermeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Are Keybeds OK Now? Reply with quote

I didn't want to get the Kronos 73 when I saw all the problems early buyers were having with the keybeds.

Are these issues over by now? Is it still possible to purchase a Kronos 73 with faulty 73-key keybed?

I know 100% guarantee is not possible, but I've had a Triton 76 for years with ZERO issue whatsoever. It's build like a tank and never let me down. Can I still get the same quality from a recent Korg workstation?

Thanks
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, if you get an X then there are no issues.

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Are Keybeds OK Now? Reply with quote

Vermeer wrote:
I didn't want to get the Kronos 73 when I saw all the problems early buyers were having with the keybeds.

Are these issues over by now? Is it still possible to purchase a Kronos 73 with faulty 73-key keybed?

I know 100% guarantee is not possible, but I've had a Triton 76 for years with ZERO issue whatsoever. It's build like a tank and never let me down. Can I still get the same quality from a recent Korg workstation?

Thanks

for the 1st gen Kronos, depends on where you buy it from. and whether its used or new
Vermeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'm asking is because a local music shop has a deal on a 1st gen demonstrator. The rebate may not be worth it if I have to ship the machine for repair.

I'm risk-adverse, so I think I'll just ponnie up for a Kronos X 73...
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the shop is local, can't you try it in the shop? You'll find out pretty quickly if it has any keybed issue (there are video's on how to). I had a deal with my shop here in Italy that I could send it back immediately free of charge if it had the keybed issue. It's first generation, and it did not have keybed nor any other problem

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdDeRoo wrote:
if the shop is local, can't you try it in the shop? You'll find out pretty quickly if it has any keybed issue (there are video's on how to). I had a deal with my shop here in Italy that I could send it back immediately free of charge if it had the keybed issue. It's first generation, and it did not have keybed nor any other problem

I watched various videos and when I got my first Kronos, first thing I did was check for the keybed problem, it seemed perfect.

A few days later, doing a particular piano lesson playing in a certain way, it happened. Then I could make it happen every time but for me, watching various vids and testing the keybed didn't work.
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Are Keybeds OK Now? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

for the 1st gen Kronos, depends on where you buy it from. and whether its used or new

In the past six months there's been about ten people buying the original Kronos reporting problems on here. Many of them bought supposedly new ones.
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vermeer wrote:
The reason I'm asking is because a local music shop has a deal on a 1st gen demonstrator. The rebate may not be worth it if I have to ship the machine for repair.

I'm risk-adverse, so I think I'll just ponnie up for a Kronos X 73...

Personally I wouldn't buy a demo model unless it was half the normal price.

Who knows how various people have been treating it.

It is a small risk that it could have the keybed problem, while the risk is small, too many people recently have had to return there's two, three or more times to try and get it fixed properly, and often in the first few months of ownership, its out for repair more than its with the customer.

Again I want to stress the number of customers buying now and having problems is very small.

If you can afford it, I'd buy the X version.
Vermeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I did try the synth in the shop & couldn't detect any problem. The clerk was useless -- didn't know about the keybed issues.

Looks like I'll have to sell a few things & get the X. One big solid Korg synth every 10 year is what I'm aiming at. Wink
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Keybeds OK Now? Reply with quote

Vermeer wrote:
Is it still possible to purchase a Kronos 73 with faulty 73-key keybed?

Unfortunately, it is.

Follow the advices given here in this thread.

Be careful what unit you buy, and as commented before, check it up extensively before taking it home with you.

After that, if you decide to buy a unit after trying it as described, check it at home for some time as well because as its been reported, some keybed problems may not appear (or can be found) inmediately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
metallo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's absolutely possible...I bought one 2 months ago and I needed to send to the service for the keybed problem.

I tried in the shop and was great, after few days there was the problem.
Vermeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty depressing to learn that someone who doesn't read this forum could walk into a store, buy a 1st gen Kronos with a defective keybed & get the idea that all Korg products are junk.

Hopefully Korg doesn't make the 1st gen units anymore and all new Kronos are X. Hopefully... Sad
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vermeer wrote:
Pretty depressing to learn that someone who doesn't read this forum could walk into a store, buy a 1st gen Kronos with a defective keybed & get the idea that all Korg products are junk.

Hopefully Korg doesn't make the 1st gen units anymore and all new Kronos are X. Hopefully... Sad

Even the 1st gen kronosses don't have the problem or only in very rare occasions. I think it's sad they need to make the X on it just to believe it is way different than the first gen.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vermeer wrote:

folks should research major purchases. $3000 (US) for a keyboard is obviously a major purchase. And the Kronos is a complex instrument.

1 or 2 folks on this forum will argue basic research.

It can be a mistake to ' assume' .
latnjazfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Specific Keyboard Problems? Reply with quote

metallo wrote:
It's absolutely possible...I bought one 2 months ago and I needed to send to the service for the keybed problem.

I tried in the shop and was great, after few days there was the problem.

Please be specific. I would really appreciate a description of the problems you first encountered with your Kronos.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: