Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official Korg Zero8 LCD touchpad issue crew
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvelop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Official Korg Zero8 LCD touchpad issue crew Reply with quote

I'm asking all Korg Zero8 users who have the LCD touchpad issue to join the others here to figure out a solution or to come together to request that Korg offer an official stance and or fix, rather than having us keep replacing the lcd touchpads. Replacing the lcd touchpad only addresses the symptoms and not the cause. They will keep breaking or ceasing to work even after replacements unless we figure out what is causing them to stop functioning correctly. Please post your info, and if you have replaced the touchpad and if the issue has come back.

Let's try to collect other Zero8 users, and see just how many are affected by this lcd toucpad issue. Perhaps with many of us speaking together they will fix this issue once and for all.

Last edited by dvelop on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
dvelop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: 1st test. Reply with quote

From my tests it appears that its the Y: parameter of the software, and or hardware area that goes bad. My X: parameter on the lcd toucpad works just fine even after the Y: ceases to function correctly. If we can figure out why the Y: parameter is going out, software or hardware. We can address the issue so that it stops happening. Unless others are losing complete control? Please reply with your tests and or symptoms only from the lcd touchpad.
gee hgt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here. after i had the zero 8 in case for some time the touchpad is dead. it eventually comes back on the x-axis after some time on desk and with lots of luck on the y-axis too after a couple of weeks of sitting on desk. but 90%of the time its not usable.... Mad
dummes kind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: touchpad dead both axis Reply with quote

hey guys,

my issue started as well with the y-axis but not it is completeley dead. i cannot access the setup or anything. i have opened the 08 once and cleaned the contacts of the touchpad and then it worked for a few weeks, i also installed a fan as suggested somewhere else in the forum. it worked fine several weeks only to stop functioning at all (x and y) after that. it seems the pad itself still does something, when i go to one of the controller banks (midi) and touch the screen there is a response (the numbers change) for both axis but it will jump back to a certain value right after i let go of the pad.

i would open the thing again if i had time to clean the contacts, but then i also have massive problems with a terrible noise suddenly starting after a while of fire wire action which won't stop until the next day. even disconnecting, resetting and rebooting does not do anything. this renders the mixer useless for the night. the next day it is as if nothing happened, until when it is connected to the computer and starts again.

so yeah, i have kind of given up on it, i use it as the most expensive line mixer ever made.

good luck with trying to get korg to help you, they are completely not interested in the issue at all, just stop buying their gear and let them know. if someone could figure out what the exact size and specs of the touch foil is, i would give that a final try, i just cannot be bothered opening it again to figure it out and then have it sitting there open for weeks until they ship the foil from ebay china LOL.

let's admit it guys, they built a piece of hardware which they had no experience with and messed up completely, they lost money when it did not sell well and now they don't want to lose more money fixing the ones they sold.

the mixer had potential but they want to make money and don't give a s**t about the end user. there are enough good mixers out there, it's not that we are dependent on korg or need a f*ckin' kaoss pad to make music. we spent a lot of money and learned our lesson: DON'T EVER BUY ANY KORG CRAP AGAIN!!!
Lega

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody

Mine just stopped working over night coming back to life intermittently. On cold would never work, on warmer temperatures it came back to life for random periods.

Problem was the Y-axis value always assumed as the maximum (top edge) anytime the screen was touched making every touche-based function impossible to use or control at will.
dvelop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: rally up Reply with quote

Lets keep it positive. I love the Zero8, it in my opinion is the best mixer ever made and I plan to use it forever. However this LCD issue is quite the hindrance to its functionality. I do not feel its the fault of the users and is a production issue that Korg should fix. So it is important for us to gather all the Korg zero8 users with this exact Y: parameter touch pad LCD issue. Once we do so, we will have some leverage to demand Korg take action to fix the units. I have contacted over 21 people who have the same issue and contacted Korg 3 times, if nothing comes of this, I'm going to look into some other avenue for us all.
dam75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is out of order randomly. It's very annoying.

I am going to order a new one like if it was a regular disposable spare part on a car. Let's say you have to change your tires every year... that's a shame. it's at least 3 Hrs servicing and 50$ material.

Here is how it bugs:

when I switch the power on, the touch pad is fully working or is partially working : the Y axis is not responding or works only on the upper part of the screen. (I never had problem with X axis only, it's Y axis or both).

I don't think it's coming from a software bug, to my mind it's 100% sure coming from a bad quality touchscreen and overheating above the PSU due to poorly tested and designed PSU cooling system.

next time when I'll replace the touch screen I am going to install a fan to pull out the warm air.

I love this mixer for several reasons: built in digital soundcard, 2ext sends, selectable type EQ, midi controller banks above the screen... brands like native instrument must take inspiration for their z4 mixer if ever they release one.

I dream about a 2013 capacitive style touch screen with a hard glass, not a cheap soft disposable resistive screen. If only there was a way to install an other screen of the same dimension on it...

hope it helps.
dam75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the kaoss pad II touch screen the same as on the zero8?

we could, search for a better quality resistive screen fitting the zero8 enclosure for a better lifetime, and cheaper price than going through local korg service.

I am going to check @ alibaba and @ aliexpress.com to find one with the same dimension. prices there are always around 10-20 bucks each...
Mindsynth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine worked for 4 months, after that it stopped working. It's busted for 3,5 years now...
dam75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I decided to investigate inside the mixer tonight.
the touch screen is definitely made for korg only. I can't find the appropriate size on aliexpress, ebay or alibaba.

I took a lot of pictures to help people in case they want to open the inclosure on their own.

It's not complicated to remove the screen but it takes some time (1H15).
This takes a long time due to the fact that there is 2 damn screws holding the screen bracket and you cannot get the access to it without removing the whole TOP PCB board with knobs.
I did not put those 2 screws back when reinstalling, they are useless, unless to the korg service support to make more money on working time. Evil or Very Mad

So next time It will take only 20 minutes max to open everything and remove the screen to replace the digitizer.

No need to remove all caps, no need to remove all screws, no need to remove the white top plate etc..

once the 2 damn screws from the screen brackets are removed, you just need to unscrew the 3 upper screws from the side pannels, the 4 fader-blocks, and the black right side pannel to be able to lift the knobs' deck.

I will post pix this week to show you. And will think about the appropriate way to install 2 temperature regulated fans to create a good airflow near the PSU. It could be nice to add flat Alloy heatsinks on the PSU regulators.
dvelop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: contacted Korg 4th time Reply with quote

As of now I have talked with/documented over 24 people with the same Y: parameter touch pad LCD issue. I have heard that when there is a bunch of users with the same issue that the company is or should be responsible for the fix. I don't think it will be an easy fight, but I would rather make Korg do right than to keep sending units to service centers only to have them keep going out. Any info or ideas on making this a reality are greatly welcome. Korg or "We" are going to have to figure out why the LCD touch pads are losing the Y: parameter and offer or create the fix.

* How many users have sent the mixer to the authorized service center and had them repair it? How long did it fix the issue? Did it come back or is it working since the service center fix?
Question
Apricot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Sorry that this took as long to reply Reply with quote

Just wanted to let give everyone a little update, and I will be blunt. But my Zero8 is now dead.

Long story short, I first had the Kaos Pad go, it was replaced, then the analog out on the I/O board died, so I got my hands on a SPDIF box ... then one day, I turned it on and I heard fizzling, then it went to brick. Took it in, the techs said these were all outsourced parts, and Korg doesn't know who made them.

Great.

I'm going back to school for electrical engineering technology, and plan on taking some classes on the side in micro electronics.

ONE DAY, I will resurrect her!
dvelop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: semi good news. Reply with quote

So we have semi good news, below is an email I received from Korg USA.
It shows that at least someone is thinking about the issue.
-------------
Hi Cory,

I heard back from the Product Manager regarding this. He is asking for some time. I really don’t know if there’s anything that can be done (as I’m sure you are aware, the Zero8 has been discontinued for quite a few years) but as soon as I hear back from him, I will be sure to let you know.

Thank you!

Janice

Customer Service, Korg USA
------------------
So, we need to make sure all users with the LCD Y: parameter touch pad issue are here and are voicing themselves. If we stand together this situation can be fixed and we can all be happy with our mixers again and Korg can show they are appreciative to their customers and will step up and make things right when they can. Please contact any users you know of or see and have them post here on send me a PM about the issue.
vanjeaf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been asked to join and tell my story..

I live in the Netherlands and ordered my Zero 8 in the States. My pad was not working from the very first day I received it. For a very short moment I have seen both x and y work but that was a long time ago.
To send my Zero8 to the States for repair is too much of a hustle and Korg in the Netherlands has never taken responsibility and never offered any service or help.

For that matter I have bought a faulty machine.. not able to use setup, save settings or use the touchpad.

I am very disapointed in Korg. For me buying the Zero8 was a big investment and I got no service whatsoever.

Too bad.. it could be such a great mixer...
jeananton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: zero xy pad Reply with quote

i see allot of mention about just the y axis, let me tell you now thats where it starts, before you know it the whole pad will be completely useless, my mixer was not heavily used and stood dormant for 6 months after the first 6 months of me having it, to my surprise firing it back up after 6 months rest, the y axis stopped responding. i kept on using it for a few months as the warranty period was just past and not long after it just stopped working completely. i bought this mixer for its soundcard functions and you need to be able to access the system in order to get high quality sound recordings, and the lack of access to all effects sux balls.
i will never buy korg again, i am going into my 4th year of owning this mixer and am well dissapointed in the fact that i paid big bucks for a product and a brand that i thought was a leader in the industry.
Korg slapped a big SUCKER sticker on our foreheads and are laughing all the way to the bank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: