Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg's Performance Vs Yamaha's registration memory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sssss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Korg's Performance Vs Yamaha's registration memory Reply with quote

Guys,

I am planning to purchase an arranger keyboard but I am kind of confused like most of us on what to go for. Yamaha PSRS750/950 or PA600.

I auditioned Yamaha's PSR S950 from a nearby GC store and I was so disappointed with the feel of the keybed. Now I am considering Korg PA600.

I like to know the differences between Korg's performances and Yamaha's registration memory. Will PA600 allow us to perform all the functions that Yamaha's registration memory does like storing the voices and styles in the assigned memory w.r.t. songs before live gig and calling the setting of the songs from the list and then switching/accessing each of the setting/memory by a button click during live gig?

Appreciate your time
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg's Performance Vs Yamaha's registration memory Reply with quote

sssss wrote:
<SNIP> Will PA600 allow us to perform all the functions that Yamaha's registration memory does like storing the voices and styles in the assigned memory w.r.t. songs before live gig and calling the setting of the songs from the list and then switching/accessing each of the setting/memory by a button click during live gig?

Appreciate your time

Yes. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
joecheriross

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Any video explaining this functionality ? Reply with quote

Can you please point out to some video explaining this functionality similar to registration memory in Yamaha ?

Is the same feature more powerful than that of Yamaha ? I have only seen Korg PA50 arranger, in which I found registration memory is not there(I might be wrong)

Thanks,
Joe
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korgs don't have registration banks like Yamaha (with 8 registration buttons per bank).
They just don't.

Play in style. Wink
Karimh

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any video explaining this functionality ? Reply with quote

joecheriross wrote:
Can you please point out to some video explaining this functionality similar to registration memory in Yamaha ?

Is the same feature more powerful than that of Yamaha ? I have only seen Korg PA50 arranger, in which I found registration memory is not there(I might be wrong)

Thanks,
Joe

There are helpful video manuals of pa600 on YouTube and on korg website.
joshhuntnm

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the big difference in the yamaha 9XX you an hook up a mic and harmonize with yourself.
rhinomark

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Psr 900 and Korg PA600 user Reply with quote

I finally figured out how to use the style and voice editing on my Korg.

I never did get a good handle on the Yamaha registrations. There are those on Yamaha PSRs who seem to be really good at registrations.

I had only had my Korg for about a month when we got a gig and found both our drummer and bass player would be out of town. I got serious about learning how to use the Korg.

I was able to program 21 songs with the STRs, tempo, muted accompanying tracks with volume and pedal settings. I then built two songbooks for the two sets that would take place.

It worked flawlessly, The backyard birthday party for an 85 year old had big band chestnuts, doowop, latin, and a few modern easy listening hits. It was a big success and we got another good paying gig from it.

Don't get me wrong-- I'd choose our bassist and drummer any day over the arranger, but it was easy once I figured it out-- and my changes, including appropriate names, did exactly what I wanted them to do.

Something I was never able to accomplish on the PSR. And considering the 600 goes for way less than the 950-- well, I think I got a steal!

Both machines are good, but to this user, I think the programming is more direct and to the point than Yamaha. So my vote for ease of use and bang for the buck goes to Korg.
16bars

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: PA600 Reply with quote

I purchased a 600 B stock on Ebay 750.00. Mine has but one flaw. I get a distorted note if hitting a hard key, Its only happened few times. I normally play out at retirement centers with Tyros3. The last few times I have taken the PA600, It has really good sounds, some of the things I like little better than the Yamaha, I only miss using microphone with it and now I am thinking of getting a Boss VE5 and use with it, It is so much lighter than the T3. If your planing on getting one, you wont be disappointed as its voices are excellent.
ntd0626

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Any video explaining this functionality ? Reply with quote

joecheriross wrote:

Thanks,
Joe

Agree. Korg's performance do better that that of Yamaha S950. I own both Yamaha S950 and Korg PA600 but I prefer playing Korge PA600. Yamaha's registration is single voice whereas it is sound bank in Korge. Another interesting of Korg PA is the button "Tempo Tap Reset". This is very useful in case singers sing out of tempo. We just press it once and it will get along with singers again, and I can't find similar function in my S950. I have to press "Stop" and Start to have that function.

Korg sounds smotth, professional like but the speaker is not as loud as Yamaha's but it sounds real good if connected to amplifier.
Karimh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to PA600 not "loud enough", I went into GLOBAL - AUDIO, and modified the settings on the master OUT. That made a huge difference.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha's REGISTRATION feature is old old old (I owned Tyros and PSR-s910)
it is a pain to remember registration bank/numbering etc - totally unfriendly when it comes to performing and recording.

Korg's PERFORMANCE feature is flexible and friendly - easy to use - instantly you know exactly what you are loading - great for live performance and also changes during a song.

Many say that Tyros has better sounds but that is not my experience. However - that's it - Korg leads the way significantly in other areas - styles, performances etc..etc.. and in particular a far far more professional and useable OS.

Just my opinion and experience...

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
tony mads usa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karimh wrote:
With regards to PA600 not "loud enough", I went into GLOBAL - AUDIO, and modified the settings on the master OUT. That made a huge difference.

That works, but you have to be careful with increasing the settings ... if they are set too high you can get very loud distortion through the on board speakers when using a 'busy' and loud style, like some of the Big Band and Latin styles ...
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony mads usa wrote:
Karimh wrote:

That works, but you have to be careful with increasing the settings ... if they are set too high you can get very loud distortion through the on board speakers when using a 'busy' and loud style, like some of the Big Band and Latin styles ...

You can kick the Limiter up a notch or two to prevent clipping. Depends a lot on what kind of music you're playing. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Karimh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's understandable kind sir! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: