Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More questions from a 'newby'...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
advid

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: More questions from a 'newby'... Reply with quote

Q1.
Is it possible to assign the second footswitch input to turn on harmony... WHEN IN FULL KEYBOARD MODE (Not SPLIT) .?

Many more questions will follow - I'm sure as I get to know this keyboard..
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: More questions from a 'newby'... Reply with quote

advid wrote:
Q1.
Is it possible to assign the second footswitch input to turn on harmony... WHEN IN FULL KEYBOARD MODE (Not SPLIT)..?

Q2.
What buttons and setup do I press for doing a real time recording of everything as I play...for playback later of complete / full sounds...

Many more questions will follow - I'm sure as I get to know this keyboard..

1. You can only have "Harmony"/Ensemble when in split mode. Without SPLIT on there is no 'right' or 'left'. Here's the words from the manual, page 29 ...

Keyboard/Ensemble: Ensemble
This page lets you program the Ensemble function. This function harmonizes the right-hand melody (played in realtime) using the recognized chords of the left-hand. Note: The Ensemble function also works in Song Play mode (with these same settings). Chords are recognized in the Lower Chord Scan area.

2. See page 91 of your manual. Record mode: Backing Sequence (Quick
Record) page
Basically you go into SEQUENCER MODE and press the RECORD button then select BACKING SEQUENCE (QUICK RECORD).

Step by Step ...

1. Press SEQUENCER mode button
2. Press RECORD button
3. Select BACKING SEQUENCE (QUICK RECORD) on LCD
4. Press OK
5. Check your Style and change if needed. (Just touch the Style name on the LCD)
6. Check and set your tempo the same way.
7. Press the VARIATION button for the Variation you want to start with
8. Press the INTRO button for the Intro you want (if any)
9. Press the STS for the STS you want to start with.

NOTE: You can also set up everything in Style Mode first before pressing the SEQUENCER button.

At this point you should be ready to Record.

10. Press START/STOP to start recording. You will hear a one measure lead in.

11. To stop recording press START/STOP

12. To play back your recording press the Player PLAY button.

13. To save your recording press the upper right hand menu drop down menu/arrow and the press SAVE SONG.

Best thing for you to do now is get the PDF manuals and read completely through them. Whenever I get a new piece of gear I make it a habit to read through the manuals from cover to cover 2 to 3 times. A bonus of the PDF manuals are that you can easily search for a desired topic.

The PDF manuals are here if you don't already have them ...

PA600 User Manuals

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
advid

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: let me explain.. Reply with quote

..sorry if I'm becoming a nuisance on here with too many little questions.
I've been a Yamaha PSR keyboard player for a lot of years. Was contemplating the new'ish PSR s950.. but after viewing you tube was becoming a bit tired of the 'samey' styles and sounds...
Looked at other YouTube stuff and came across Korgs..
Finally decided to swap camps and here I am..
Before buying I looked at the YouTube online user guide (as the supplied DVD)...looked at all episodes many times..was impressed at how 'relatively' easy it looked..
The styles and sounds were impressive..so went for it..
Now..it's not so easy.
In all the years with Yamaha I never needed to look at a manual..all learned through trial and error..but must say...a whole lot easier than the Korg...
I could set up a second pedal for on/off harmony over full keyboard..
To save a particular style setup..simply press the registration button and the slot / number where to save it..took only a second..
So...Korg to me is somewhat harder to get going
And..i'd already printed out the 2 manuals (quick guide and reference guide) before the keyboard had arrived..Even that is a slog.-.
Look for harmony in appendix...not there..it's called ensemble ?
That is NOT the same thing.. so it all gets a bit frustrating...
Anyway hope I've put things into perspective..why I'm getting a pain with all my questions...
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get frustrated just yet. You will learn that there are many different ways to accomplish what you want to do with the KORG OS. For example, you could program a STYLE that has SPLIT turned on, ENSEMBLE on and plays the same instrument in the left and right hand. You could for example have a Piano sound in left and right with the Ensemble in some symphonic strings . The Korg Arrangers have a great deal of customization possible. Just look at the size of the manuals compared to the Yammy PSRs ( I have both) Information theory 101 - the bigger the manuals the more complex the machine. Wink

One of the real joys of the Korg arrangers is there is SO much to discover.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
advid

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..that's one of the main reasons why I went with Korg... a bit of a new challenge....it's just that my old brain these days just isn't as fast and 'logical' as it once was..
I agree..the customisation of just about anything is great..
What you suggested about left and right setup for getting the harmony/ensemble on and off is what I was thinking about dong...but I'm running before I can walk with that...it's a pity that with so much customisation the Korg can't see three or more notes over the whole keyboard and apply a harmony when required...split or not...a bit of a let down in my opinion..
Can't seem to figure out the songbook bit either yet...

I'll be back on here soon....I'll bet on that..Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: