Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmmmm Kronos piano compared to the RD700nx
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
I thought that GX has same pianos as NX Embarassed Embarassed
So did RD-700 NX uses supernatural modelling as in V-Piano?? if so, weird decay ringing will not be present (as it did on GX series), assuming that NX DOES NOT USE SAMPLES AS IT'S BASE MODELLING INGREDIENTS... I'll check the NX when i have time..

The NX uses supernatural modeling, but not quite the same as the (far more expensive) V-Piano. As I understand it, the V is completely modeled, but the NX uses a sample for the basic tone and then uses modeling to generate the decays and the velocity changes. So, "in between." Yes, you'd have to check it out to see what you think. But definitely different from the GX.
Hal2001

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="1jordyzzz"]
Scott wrote:
1jordyzzz wrote:
On a very neutral opinion here, RD pianos are good.. Even though they are 3 layer only, but its like having multiple layer.. But i don't like it's sustain.. clearly it's looped..

BTW take a look at this:
http://thekronosblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/comparing-sgx-1-to-roland-superior.html
My conclusions matched those in the article link when I compared these two boards before choosing the Kronos.
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best piano's are Kronos, not because I have tried all the others but because that is what I own!!
orangefunk

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Kronos and also a Roland RD700GX with the SN expansion which is exactly the same as the NX spec.

There are no sample layers as has been pointed out. The sounds are a mixture of samples and some kind of modelling for the transitions in velocity. A couple of years ago I compared the SN card samples with the Superior Grand set and concluded they were from the same sampling session but not quite 100% the same. As has been pointed out, its not quite up to the V-Piano sound... but even that can sound boring after a while....

Anyway, my opinion is that you can't have enough options and they are all good for certain applications. After a while the Korg Kronos starts to sound a bit static but I believe this is more to do with the dynamics setting which is a bit more towards fortissimo than I would like. Also I think the Audience setting in the perspective improves how the sound projects a lot. After some editing the Kronos pianos can shine as good as anything out there.

The RD is a great piano and there are lots of other options in there with pianos that have different characters. I quite like SN piano Grand Piano 2 on the SN card. I also like Superior Grand and Ultimate in the regular PCM sounds.

Interestingly I find the EP engine in both the Kronos and RD about the same. I am not happy with either of them though.

For me the best all round keyboard for the gigging pianist who wants some synth and epiano would be the Nord Stage 2. Having played one on many gigs and seen other people play them on stage I think it just works well as the sounds have more presence live than the aforementioned Roland and Korg keyboards. However, having only played the Nord on gigs my illusions might be shattered if I were to use on at home or on recordings.
orangefunk

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hal2001"]
1jordyzzz wrote:
Scott wrote:
1jordyzzz wrote:
On a very neutral opinion here, RD pianos are good.. Even though they are 3 layer only, but its like having multiple layer.. But i don't like it's sustain.. clearly it's looped..

BTW take a look at this:
http://thekronosblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/comparing-sgx-1-to-roland-superior.html
My conclusions matched those in the article link when I compared these two boards before choosing the Kronos.

The interesting thing for me is that I think the Roland still has quite a nice and useful character which is distinct from the Korg...
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="orangefunk"]
Hal2001 wrote:
1jordyzzz wrote:
Scott wrote:
1jordyzzz wrote:

BTW take a look at this:

The interesting thing for me is that I think the Roland still has quite a nice and useful character which is distinct from the Korg...

yes i do like it's character.. Great for jazz

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
Dany

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
...On a very neutral opinion here, RD pianos are good.. Even though they are 3 layer only, but its like having multiple layer...

Roland's SuperNATURAL pianos don't use velocity switching and have a completely smooth sound transition from velocity level 0 to 127, as demonstrated in the video below.

1jordyzzz wrote:
But i don't like it's sustain.. clearly it's looped..

The SN piano's modeled sustain behaves very natural, without any loop repetitions at the end, as demonstrated (and shown in the oscilloscope) in the video below.

1jordyzzz wrote:
...plus, the damper pedal noise and damper resonance are all fake...

SN pianos offer modeled sympathetic string resonance, which means for example, that you can press a chord very softly, so that it won't trigger a sound, but just release the virtual dampers from the virtual piano strings, and by still holding that silent chord, while hitting another note, the virtual strings from the chord will begin to resonate and become audible, like on a real acoustic piano.

Roland SN Piano explained - Youtube

-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: