Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA600 sequencer problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeyreds

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: PA600 sequencer problems Reply with quote

I'm a new owner of a PA600 and want to modify most of the standard midi files I have to take advantage of the superior factory sounds compared to the GM sounds programmed on the original file. However I am having significant problems doing this and on the point of giving up. For instance I make changes to some of the voices and save the song. When I load the song back into the sequencer the changes have been retained. However when I play in Song mode or Songbook the changes have not been made. Even more strange is that if I mute the voice and then unmute, the voice then changes to what it was programmed to in sequencer mode. With one song, just by saving the song in sequencer mode stops it playing properly (one of the instruments changes from a guitar to an ambient mandolin!). I'm pretty sure these are fundamental bugs in the software but just wondering if possibly I'm doing something wrong but I don't think so.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: PA600 sequencer problems Reply with quote

mikeyreds wrote:
I'm a new owner of a PA600 and want to modify most of the standard midi files I have to take advantage of the superior factory sounds compared to the GM sounds programmed on the original file. However I am having significant problems doing this and on the point of giving up. For instance I make changes to some of the voices and save the song. When I load the song back into the sequencer the changes have been retained. However when I play in Song mode or Songbook the changes have not been made. Even more strange is that if I mute the voice and then unmute, the voice then changes to what it was programmed to in sequencer mode. With one song, just by saving the song in sequencer mode stops it playing properly (one of the instruments changes from a guitar to an ambient mandolin!). I'm pretty sure these are fundamental bugs in the software but just wondering if possibly I'm doing something wrong but I don't think so.

I'm not having these issues on my PA600, but I use Cakewalk Sonar to modify the files (using the PA3X .INS file) and everything works fine.

OK, I just loaded a random MIDI I had on the PA600 in Sequencer Mode. The 1st track had a GM Piano which I changed to a Real Nylon Guitar. I then saved the song and reloaded the original song which played with the Piano. I then loaded the edited song and it played with the guitar. I'm not sure if this may be the issue, but you might want to make sure your midi files are Type 0

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
mikeyreds

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the files I use are commercial type 0 files. Can't fathom why when reloading into the sequencer they play correctly but in song mode the changes are lost. Another issue is that the sequencer doesn't allow detail programme change messages in event edit - only number 1-127 allowed which means the PA600 sounds cannot be selected in this way. I have chords with some of the files I use (XF) that can't be handled by Cakewalk. I might have a look at the PSRUTi software I used to put the chords on to see if I can put the full programme change detail on (eg 127.000.42)
mikeyreds

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering whether it might be something to do with Sysex messages re GS or GM that I can't see with this sequencer. I seem to remember having to take GM reset off using Cakewalk with my old Roland G800 otherwise it wouldn't voice correctly. I've had a Tyros in the interim and it wasn't a problem with that though (ie I made changes to the original midis without issues)
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyreds wrote:
Just wondering whether it might be something to do with Sysex messages re GS or GM that I can't see with this sequencer. I seem to remember having to take GM reset off using Cakewalk with my old Roland G800 otherwise it wouldn't voice correctly. I've had a Tyros in the interim and it wasn't a problem with that though (ie I made changes to the original midis without issues)

I would make sure you're not sending ANY sysex data to PA600.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: