Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prophecy still pertinent?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Prophecy still pertinent? Reply with quote

Well, I've just picked one up on ebay for £150 - You can't go wrong at that price, but I've bought it mainly for the controller section for use with my Kronos (3 x Wheels, Ribbon with Pressure Smile - ideal for me as long as I can somehow integrate it into my set-up).

I've no idea what the quality of the sounds are like, as Youtube vids suffer terrible compression but it seems pretty good considering it's age - I'm obviously hoping for good anti-aliasing... so many recent VA's sound bad in the higher registers.

What struck me after reading the parameter guide is that the sub-osc has separate tuning (semitone & fine), in effect a third oscillator! Strange they didn't include this with the Kronos' AL-1.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be impressed with the raw sound quality, but you'll be more surprised by the unique character of the sounds for a mono synth. It's a bit like taking some methadone. The danger is that you'll like it so much that you'll want more, so it's a gateway synth to the Z1 and EXB-MOSS, which are more like mainlining heroin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJyoPBK3rdM

There's a reason why EXB-MOSS boards regularly sell for $500-$600 on eBay, even though the board has been discontinued for years and was even given away for free with the purchase of some Tritons. You only see this kind of price premium on products that have offer something that people really want to have, but has limited availability. Finding a cheap Triton with an EXB-MOSS board inside that the seller doesn't know about is like finding an old desk with a roll of cash inside a hidden compartment.

I wouldn't trade my Z1 for a new KingKorg, if that gives you any idea of how much I like the MOSS sound. The Z1 has aftertouch and a very useful XY pad, on top of it's 13 oscillator model types.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
I wouldn't trade my Z1 for a new KingKorg,

That's how I feel about my Radias...

Sounds Good
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prophecy arrived yesterday... It needed a bit of work, but I'm very happy with it Smile

It's much more powerful than I expected, and the Brass, Reed modelling is a great addition to the Kronos (tempted now to get a Z1!). Dug out an old copy of Midiquest for programming, but even that is a pain (very confusing "un-logical" screen layout... Grrrr).
zukskywalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look around for the Prophecy editor called Progenie which was specifically made for the Prophecy. I have it buried somewhere but have not used it yet.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in talks with someone to get one sent out my way (fingers crossed!) so this is relevant to my interests. Laughing Aside from the OASys and Z1, it's a genuinely unique form of synthesis and has great controllers, so it's definitely worth trying out. My fear is that I'm not gonna gel with the programming, because I could never really squeeze the potential out of the AN1x and they're pretty similar.

You might wanna register on ctrlr.org and heckle the author named jms to continue work on his editor control panel here (updated in March!). I plan on it if this deal comes through. So far it looks like it's got all the parameters and values mapped, but he's gotta add support for sysex dumps and librarian functions.
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a sweet deal, Kronik. I sold my Prophecy years ago and have been scouring the local ads lately for another as well as for a Z1, no luck. I Have the MOSS board in my Trinity V3 and as sweet as it is, it doesn't have the same - well - balls that I remember the Prophecy having. You're gonna love it Very Happy
Current Korg apparatus: MicroStation, MicroKorg, MicroSampler, WaveDrum, Trinity V3, M1REX, Wavestation SR, X5DR, Original Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 controller, iMS-20, DS-10 Plus x2, ELECTRIBE Rhythm Mk ll, iELECTRIBE, Kaossilator, padKONTROL, MicroKONTROL, NanoKey, NanoKontrol, Stage Echo SE-300
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MOSS Option All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: