Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for "Rio" arpeggio on the Krome or help cr

View previous topic :: View next topic  
staric

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Looking for "Rio" arpeggio on the Krome or help cr Reply with quote

Is there a close approximation to this somewhere? Having trouble finding one.

Just got my Krome and suppose I could learn how to create an arpeggio. Anybody have simple steps for doing that? The manual is hard to follow on that point. I need it to play only notes in the chord I am playing, which I only point out because lots of the arpeggios built into the Krome seem to play a bunch of different notes (not just octaves, but different tones within octaves), while others seem to play only one note even if I'm playing a chord, whereas my old Yamaha S80 wouldn't do that - all (or most all) of its arpeggios would stick to the note you were playing (but often go up and down octaves). The S80 had a great approximation of the "Rio" background.
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Select a simple program. Piano for example,
Open GLOBAL and select the Arpeggio Pattern page.
Select the Patt. 0900 User. This is blank.

What you see on this page:

Length: This is the place where you select haw many steps you will need for your arp. pattern. (For the bass pattern than alternate one octave like 80 disco is enough two Steps) . I can do this with only one step.

Octave: This is the parameter where you select the range of your pattern will play. This is 1 by default. In my example (80 bass) we can use only one step and octave set 2. In this situation if you play C4, the arp. pattern will alternate C4 than C5.

Resolution: This is the resolution of the steps. Can be change after you write your pattern.

Now open the pattern editor from the Magnifier.

A new window is open. What you see:

This is a table with 12 horizontal line and 48 vertical.

Now add the dot on the table. Line 00 (horizontal) is the first note from your chord in the pattern. Vertical 1 to 48 is the steps from your pattern.

Every steps can be adjust from the right side of this window. Pitch, Gate, Velocity, Flam.

Now come back with my example ( 80 disco bass ). We need only two pattern steps. Add the dot on line 00 for step 1. Add dot on line 00 for step 2. Adjust pitch to +12 for step 2. If you play the chord C Major for example your pattern will alternate C and C+12.

Don't forget to write and rename your pattern.
I'll be back with more info. Haw can create the Drum arp. Pattern next Smile

The arpeggiator can offer many tricks. I will back if someone have to know the secrets of this technology. This is a very important part of this cute workstation.

Cheers,
Dan
staric

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan. Might be a few days before I get around to it but I'll give this a try and may (will probably!) come back with more questions. One that I have right now is how the arpeggiator will track notes in the chord I am playing. For example, if I set a patternt to play the notes in a C major chord if I just play a C, what will it do if I play a C minor chord? Will it pick that up and shift it? Stated differently, how would I create an arpeggio pattern that I wanted to track the notes in a chord I was playing? Like maybe I want the first two notes in the pattern to be the low note of the chord, the third note to be the high note in the chord, the fourth note to be an octave higher than the middle note of my chord, etc., etc.

Thanks for all the great detail. I wish I could find someone local who knew the Krome really well whom I could pay to come sit down with me for a couple of hours!
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staric wrote:
How the arpeggiator will track notes in the chord I am playing. For example, if I set a patternt to play the notes in a C major chord if I just play a C, what will it do if I play a C minor chord? Will it pick that up and shift it? Stated differently, how would I create an arpeggio pattern that I wanted to track the notes in a chord I was playing? Like maybe I want the first two notes in the pattern to be the low note of the chord, the third note to be the high note in the chord, the fourth note to be an octave higher than the middle note of my chord, etc., etc.

Hi again,

You need to understand how the arp work. When you open the Arp editor from the Magnifier you see the 12 lines horizontally. This is your notes from the chord. If you play major the arp will play major. If you strike the minor chord the arp will play minor.

Example:

If you need to create a arp pattern that alternate the C,E,G,C
Select Length 4 steps.
Open Arp editor (magnifier)

Add dot for step 1 line 00
Add dot for step 2 line 01
Add dot for step 3 line 02
Add dot for step 4 line 00 again.

Now strike the C major chord. Arp will be alternate C,E,G,C
Now strike the C minor chord. Arp pattern will follow the C,D#,G,C

Check this example and I will direct you for more info.

Cheers,
Dan
staric

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaah - much clearer now! Thanks - will mess around with this when I have a chance and maybe report back.

In the meantime, do you know what happens if you play a chord that has a different number of notes than you've used? Taking your example below, let's say I play a C7 chord as follows C E G A#. Will the arpeggiater simply never play an A# because that would require a "line 3"? What if I play the chord with the A# on the bottom: A# C E G? Would it then just never play the G? What if I just play a two note chord, such as C G? Would it read the C and G as "line 00" and "line 01" and simply not play step 3, or would it fill in step 3 with the C or the G?

And just to confirm, the 12 lines don't actually represent tones in the scale - they are just the tones you happen to play in your chord. Also just to confirm, if I want notes in the arpeggio to be octaves above or below the note I'm playing, I just adjust the pitch on those steps by +12, +24, -12, -24, etc., right?

Many thanks for the continued discussion - very interesting and helpful.
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes !

Now you understand. The arp follow your note number from the chord. If you play anything (any chords) the arp will follow the line 00 for first note , line 01 for second note etc... If you have the dots only for two lines and your chord have 4 notes, the arp will arpeggiate only this two notes. You not force to put the dots from 00. You can arpeggiate the upper notes. So try to add the dots for line 04. That mean you will arpeggiate the 5'th note from the chord. If your chord have only 4 notes you not have arpeggiation.

This is a trick to use one arpeggiator for bass and chords in a same time.
Line 00 to bass and line 01 to 04 for chords.
Now do a split with bass and guitar in combi mod. Your arp will play the bass for lower and guitar for upper. Just load this arp. pattern for twice program.

Cheers.
Dan
lutefish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to chime in and say thanks for clarifying the arp editor - using your basic instructions, I was able to play around with shaping some interesting patterns around a 1-note base, and then adjusting pitch for the other dots to arpeggiate chords relative to that base.
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutefish wrote:
I was able to play around with shaping some interesting patterns around a 1-note base, and then adjusting pitch for the other dots to arpeggiate chords relative to that base.

Hi,
pitch adjustment is very useful for draw the bass line when the chord doesn't change. Other think... Using the different velocity value some step can play different program in the same patterns. If the step velocity is set to 64 and timbre velocity bottom is up to 65 the timbre don't play ,but other timbre that have a bottom velocity from 01 will play for this step.
This is my trick to simulate the wave sequencing.

Cheers,
Dan
staric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan - Just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to reply to these messages. Finally got around to trying this out last night and it was much easier than I thought (now I just need to figure out the notes for the arpeggio pattern I want to create).

One last question: is it not possible to change the pitch on less than all of the lines in a single step where one step consists of multiple notes? It looks to me so far like the pitch adjust is going to apply to all the dots in the relevant step.

Thanks again!
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unfortunately not. This is a Karma ability. If you send me your arp request I will try to find the solution for you.

Cheers,
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: