Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

playing two sounds from one combi on different keyboards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcdeben

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: playing two sounds from one combi on different keyboards Reply with quote

Hello All,

I must be missing something but can not see it! I bought a PX-5S and I love it as a matter of fact. I want to play a Kronos piano on the PX and a Kronos Organ on the Kronos 61. I pull up a combi that has both. I switch the MIDI channel on the PX to say 15 and then change the MIDI channel on the piano sound in the combi to 15. the PX still plays both the organ and piano? I am not good with MIDI but this seems pretty simple but apparently not for me! Duh..
I thought I saw a thread about this awhile back but could not find it. Thanks Marc
Korg Kronos 61, Korg Triton 61, Casio PX-5S, Alessis Vortex Wireless, Toshiba Satellite I7 8G RAM, Presonus Firepod, Sonar X3 Producer, Behringer Truth B2031A Ones I have had and probably should of kept: Univox EL Piano, Arp Axxe, Hammond L-100 w/ 910 Leslie, Minimoog, DX7, Kawai SX210 but like most of us I needed the cash!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly KARMA is interfering. Check the page where you can set the channels for the modules. They can affect stuff even when Karma is off.
.Jens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and try to mute any other timbres you are not using. Maybe there ist another timbre set to the same midi channel (and mostly, the default patch on every timbre is actually a piano).

The other thing to check is if you really changed the sending channel of the PX, or if you inadvertedly just changed the receiving channel...
metallo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the global midi channel in global, probably is the same the px is using.
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good suggestions so far. Because a combi can have a lot baked into it, you might start with a blank one and put the piano and organ sounds into timbres and set up your midi channels.

This could be a good way to make sure all the basics are good. You might even find building your own combis for this purpose is easier and gives you more control than using others and tearing them apart.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_f wrote:
All good suggestions so far. Because a combi can have a lot baked into it, you might start with a blank one and put the piano and organ sounds into timbres and set up your midi channels.

This could be a good way to make sure all the basics are good. You might even find building your own combis for this purpose is easier and gives you more control than using others and tearing them apart.

I agree with this here. Your best bet is to start from scratch. One thing that I got in the habit of doing as well was to do all my externally controlled programs in channel/slot 16 (going backwards if splitting/layering on that second board). Just set the transmit channel on your secondary board to 16 and you should be golden.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi marcdeben, sorry to diverge off the topic, but I was planning to get the PX-5S. how good is it?

what can you tell us about the key mechanism? does it feel sturdy and professional?

looking forward to your reply!
thanks

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Yamaha P-80 for the external weighted action with my Kronos 61.
In my case, I wanted to use only one volume and sustain pedal for both keyboards like I did with my software based system. I found I could indeed do this by using Karma settings in a combination. In case this is something you're interested in, this is how I do it;

My controller sends on channel 1. I decided to set my Global Channel in Kronos to 16.

I put the German Grand in slot one of a combi. Set it to channel 1.
I turn Karma on. (Button under vol control)
In the Karma tab, the A module says Gch to 1. Timber thru is off
Under MIDI Filter/CC Offset, I uncheck everything except Damper, Other CC and on the right, GE Notes.

You will want to make sure under GE Setup the RUN is unticked.

I also load strings in slot two, set it to channel 1. With the MIDI filter, I can have the piano respond to damper pedal but not volume pedal. On the strings they do respond to volume pedal. This way I can swell the strings in and out with the volume pedal while the piano always plays normally.

With this setup I can put any sound on my 88-note controller and mapped anywhere across the keyboard. This is completely separated from the same thing on the Kronos 61's keyboard. I just set those slots to Gch.

Let me say Karma is a major mystery to me and somehow I fumbled into this way of setting it. Other Karma guru's may have a more elegant of doing it.

Once I have it working, I saved it as a template so anytime I need a two keyboard combi patch, I start from that saved template.

Hope this helps!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
marcdeben

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, I have been away on holiday and still am, so I am unable to try all your great suggestions. I will as soon as I get back. Thank you!

I can however give you my thoughts on the PX-5s. The keybed is a little light but once you get use to i think you will love it. It has keyoff and works great with the Kronos pianos. It seems extremely sturdy and road worthy considering it only weighs 24 pounds. I think it will make a great companion for the 61 K. The thing sounds really nice as a stand alone. The pianos and el pianos are very good. All other synth and string, brass etc are good but the organs are just fair, but would get you through a gig in a pinch. one very cool thing about it is the stage bank of 100 presets. Simular to combis in the Korg world but they are more like combis that you tweak the programs in them and then save those changes and not have to save the tweaked programs themselves. These stage settings can save everything inc medi settings, split points and layer characteristics so you can have a different stage setting for different configurations of controllers etc. You can call up a stage setting and change the prorams for each zone and these programs will use the settings set on that stage preset. Very flexable little keyboard. Together with the Kronos, if I can fiquire out the programing part, I have a ton of ideas.......
I can't wait to get home and start noodling!
Take care,
Marc
Korg Kronos 61, Korg Triton 61, Casio PX-5S, Alessis Vortex Wireless, Toshiba Satellite I7 8G RAM, Presonus Firepod, Sonar X3 Producer, Behringer Truth B2031A Ones I have had and probably should of kept: Univox EL Piano, Arp Axxe, Hammond L-100 w/ 910 Leslie, Minimoog, DX7, Kawai SX210 but like most of us I needed the cash!
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. I was kinda hoping the keybed would really hard or at least harder than the average digital piano, especially since I myself own the px330 and it's always performed well and th mechanism is said to be inferior to that of the new px5s

I'll try to test it as soon as it's available

Cheers!

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
marcdeben

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I will use them when programming my setups. I found the problem, it was a midi out setting on the PX-5S. I thought I was changing MIDI out but was actually changing the MIDI in channel. It is not with the general settings in it in the stage setting. A little confusing but now that I no I'm good to go. FYI Thanks all for the support!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: