Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pink floyd 'on the run' on micro korg. help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simchaleh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: pink floyd 'on the run' on micro korg. help Reply with quote

hey everyone.
i want to try to recreate the synth track for 'on the run' from pink floyd on the dark side of the moon album.
can someone please give me detailed instructions how to recreate it using my micro korg? i dont have any experience programmin the micro korg so the more detailed explanation the better. thnks!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

From Wikipedia:
The 8 sixteenth notes sequence (E2 G2 A2 G2 D3 C3 D3 E3) is played at a tempo of 165 BPM, while both filter frequency and resonance are modulated.

The sequence:
The microKORG arpeggiator does not support patterns of this complexity. It can not be used for this purpose. :? Program it in an external sequencer or use a DAW connected to your mK using MIDI. Though, you can split the pattern in 2. Either the first 4 or the last 4 notes can be replayed by the on board arpeggiator with type alt1. Ok, you miss half of the pattern, but at least you get the feeling, if you don't have a sequencer or DAW around the corner.

The sound: start with some basic waveform. I would suggest the pulse and/or triangle. Play then further with the resonance, cutoff frequence and filter type.

Enjoy.
simchaleh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thnks op for the reply.
im using an ipad app to sequence the sequence which works great. i got the sound pretty much. but i cant get the cymbal sound
i saw online that i could generate it with the noise part. but i cant figure out how to configure any settings on the noise option on the mk. any ideas? thnks
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you created the main sound in the first timbre of your patch.

Set then the patch voicemode to layer and edit the second timbre.
Choose noise as waveform for osc1 and edit eg2 so that it shows up as short peak. (E.g. 0 attack, 30 decay, 0 sustain level and 0 release).
This is a good starting point for a cymbal. Tweak the sound further as you like with the filters and so on.

Your ipad app will then trigger the second timbre at the same rate as timbre one.

If you listen to the record, there is small rythm variation in the hihat pattern.
You can decouple the pattern for timbre 1 and 2 and have different patterns for both. You set the voice mode then to multi and choose another midi channel for timbre 2 than the global midi channel (typical this is 1). Create then the pattern on your app for the hihat and let it send it out to the midi channel that you configured for timbre 2. (At least if your app supports different midi channels and so on.)

Note: the original mK does NOT support multi voice mode. mKXL and mKXL+ do.

Cheers.
simchaleh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:

If you listen to the record, there is small rythm variation in the hihat pattern.
You can decouple the pattern for timbre 1 and 2 and have different patterns for both. You set the voice mode then to multi and choose another midi channel for timbre 2 than the global midi channel (typical this is 1). Create then the pattern on your app for the hihat and let it send it out to the midi channel that you configured for timbre 2. (At least if your app supports different midi channels and so on.)

Note: the original mK does NOT support multi voice mode. mKXL and mKXL+ do.

Cheers.

Thnks. In other words ur saying that this past above paragraph about decoupling timbre 1 from 2, doesnt actually apply to the old school microkorg?
I actuLly used the 'tb midi' app for programming the sound on th microkorg since its easier to work with that wAy..for some wierd reason, it doesnt allow timbre two to select noise. Theres. SeperTe section other than timbre 1 and 2 for generating noise, but it has almost no paramaters to edit.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.
Classic mK voice mode support: single, layer
mKXl and mKXL+ voice mode support: single, layer, split, multi

So for the classic mK, the 2 timbres will always sound together when triggered by a note, which means no separate patterns for each timbre possible.

I don't know this app, but normally the osc1 in both timbres can do noise, at least from the board perspective. Maybe a shortcoming in the app? Osc2 can not be used for noise. Don't confuse the timbres with oscillators! Next to osc1 and osc2, there is a separate noise generator as well. Probably you are referring to that one. But that one lacks the 2 controls available in osc1, if noise is selected for osc1. You find the separate noise generator in the mixer. You can use that one as well for the hihat sound.

Note regarding my previous post: eg2 is mkXL/mkXL+ terminology. It refers to the amp envelope on the mK.

Bye.
simchaleh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! yeah i confused the two timbers with the osc 1 and 2. i was trying to use the seperate noise generator for hihat and couldnt get it.

so if i got you right,i need to use timbre 1 for the main sound, and using timbre 2, with noise on Osc1. for hihat. it should be fine for me that theyre triggered together. in this case it doesnt need to be that accurate.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Indeed. You got the point. Just make sure to have the amp envelope configured as a short peak for timbre 2 as explained earlier. Otherwise you get a constant noisy timbre instead a short noise tick (= hihat). You may miss the small rythm variation for the hihat, but as it is small, you get quite close to the record and a pretty convincing recreation.

Have fun.
simchaleh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey. im still having alot of trouble with this. i tried my best but its just not soudning close.
im using an ipad with midi for the actual sequence using the notes posted on wikipedia.
i cant seem to get an accurate soudning sound of the actual synth tone, also the hihat i tried to recreate is also far off.
could you give me more detailed settings for the actual lead sound, and if you have time to work out the actual hihat soudn on the microkorg.
thnks.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I don't know what you are exactly looking after... Confused
You should have a good starting point with the hints I gave before.

Anyway, I gave it a try myself and created the following video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtyvlZXUFOQ
Remark that this is for mKXL/mkXL+. Similar options are available on the classic mK as well. But for sure, you will not be able to generate both lead and the rythmic hihat at the same moment as it is not possbile to play different MIDI patterns for each timbre. A simple fixed 1/16th beat is possible however.
simchaleh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnks alot. Sounds great! Howd u get the hih hAt sound to have allthose different charChteristics. Mune just sonded likea steady clicking. Urs really sounds like the one on the record, it has different charachteristics to i as a real hat being played
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you look into the video, I made EG1 and EG2 in timbre 2 note velocity sensitive. EG2 controls the amplitude of the hihat. Further, I just created a pattern by ear on which 16th step the Hihat was hit and I played with the velocity of these notes. It is something like: 75%, -, -, 25%, 50%, 25%, 25%, -

Well it is a good question, while reflecting over it, I found out, you don't need the second midi channel. You can program lead + rythmic hihat in layer mode as well instead of multi. Which makes that it is also possible to recreate it on the classic mK. Razz Here is why:
* timbre 1 is lead - currently it is not sensitive at all to velocity.
* timbre 2 is hihat - it is sensible to the velocity, but it is not sensible to the pitch of the note (due to the noise generator, which has no pitch)

So, in layer mode the pitch of the note is used for the lead and the velocity for hihat. Just make sure to set the velocity for the '-' in the hihat patterns to 1. If you put 0, it is a note with 0 velocity and then the lead will not sound either.

I tried it on mKXL and it works fine. Wink

Ciao.
simchaleh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thnks again for all the effort ut putting into this. Huge help!!!
Just to make sure i got u right, when u mean setting the velocity by the - part, youre referring to the arpegiator sequencer, right?nwhich in the case of the standard mk im using an external one. Just to make sure i understand u.
Thnks
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

No, what you are referring to is the tempo. That must be fixed to 165 for this track.
I'm referring to the velocity of the notes. The MIDI message for hitting a note consist of 3 parameters:
* the MIDI channel = for which instrument it is intented
* the note itself = this gives the pitch
* the velocity = how hard/fast the note was hit, this info can be used to modulate all kind of parameters

I use the latter to create harder and softer hihat hits, which results then in the rythmic hihat.

So, in your DAW, you should be able to tweak the velocity per note of the pattern.

Good luck.
simchaleh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right thats exactly what i was reffereing to. i may be very new to setting up manual analog type synth paramaters, but i know the diff between velocity and tempo.
i have a velocity page in my arp sequencer, for the velocity of each note played on the sequence. thats what i was refering to if you meant i should edit those. got the answer now. thnks for your patience
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: