Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA3x..compared to the new PA900..?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
advid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: PA3x..compared to the new PA900..? Reply with quote

...what does the 3x do or have that is not in the soon to be released PA900 ?

I want to upgrade from Yamaha PSR3000 and just wondering which price range to enter nto..is the 3x "that' much better that the 900"?
if so..explain please.. i'm just a new Korg to novice...it's going to be a big change from years with a Yamaha (os and all...)
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: PA3x..compared to the new PA900..? Reply with quote

advid wrote:
...what does the 3x do or have that is not in the soon to be released PA900 ?

I want to upgrade from Yamaha PSR3000 and just wondering which price range to enter nto..is the 3x "that' much better that the 900"?
if so..explain please.. i'm just a new Korg to novice...it's going to be a big change from years with a Yamaha (os and all...)

If you're a drawbar organist you'll appreciate the physical drawbars on the PA3x. The PA3X has a ribbon controller missing on the PA900. The assignable buttons on the PA3X are located close to the joystick. A plus for those that use them a lot. The PA3X has balanced outputs vs un-balanced on the PA900. The PA3X can use the EC-5 controller. Only the PA3X is available in a 76 key version.

Bottom line, the PA3X is more of a 'gigging keyboard' than the PA900 in my humble opinion.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Pa3x has balanced outputs. At least mine doesn't!
John
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

PA3X does have balanced LINE-IN and LINE-OUT ports.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete. I've leaned something. I always assumed you needed 3 pin mic style outputs for balanced. How do they achieve balanced with just 2 wires?
John
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

Quote:
I always assumed you needed 3 pin mic style outputs for balanced.

You do...
Quote:
How do they achieve balanced with just 2 wires?

The PA3X audio out ports support balanced/unbalanced so if you are only using unbalanced (2-wire) cables then you are not getting a balanced signal.

Hope that helps...

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use balanced outputs, you need TRS 1/4" plugs.
Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone comment about the differences in sounds and styles between the PA3-X and the PA-900? From the demo's posted so far I seem to hear many new sounds in the PA-900.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question Dreamer...
As an example:- in the past the PA800, PA2XPro, PA588 (supposedly the same) seemed to have the same styles etc but when you actually play them they are different (but same names!!).
I have tried to collect some of these now as some of the PA588 styles were nicer!!

Maybe someone who can afford both keyboards can give us some answers

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer, ask "Uncle" Dave on synthzone, I know he has had both. Not sure if he comes to this forum. But let us all know if you hear anything!
Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading the PA-900 user manual and there are a few interesting considerations: in no place is mentioned an internal HD, but it's specifically said that an external HD can be connected through the USB port; speaking of which, the PA-900 has two of them (one "host" and one "to device") and they are both 2.0, while in the PA3-X the connection to device is only 1.1 (hence the painfully slow transfer rate between internal HD and PC).
But, as far as the storage devices go, here is what the manual says:

Name Media type

DISK [KORG DISK] User-accessible area of the internal memory. This is where you can store Songs and other files.

SD [KORG SD] Optional microSD card inserted into the rear slot.

SD [KORG SD2] Optional microSD card inserted into the rear slot
(second partition).

USB memory device (like a memory stick) connected
to the rear USB Host port

So, compared with the PA3-X, looks like they added a few things but took away others; another important difference, for example, is in the sampling section: you can load samples and edit them but you apparently cannot sample your own sounds. So, more than a full fledged sampler, the one in the PA-900 looks like a sample reader, more or less like the one in the Tyros 4.
The big selling points of the 900 are the low price and the low weight: combined with some features, more up-to-date than even the PA3X, they make the whole package really interesting.
BillyHank

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the so called Korg Disk is the internal memory storage, not a hard drive, but it is 1 Gb in size and that is a lot of internal user memory. You have to buy that as an extra on the Tyros4 ($300.00).

I haven't found that so called "second partition", but maybe that is refering to partitioning the SD Card????

Bill G
Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
yes, the second partition refers to an SD card that you can divide in two parts.
pippuzzo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

looking at the specs it seems that Pa3X has almost everything of the Pa900 but the core difference it is the professional approach of the flagship.

Better connections, better semiweighted keybed (61 and 76 keys), sturdy construction, tilting screen, better TC Helicon (4 voices against 3 and with more controls), xlr mic connector with phantom power, s/p dif, ribbon, fill buttons, real time track buttons (select + mute), assignable sliders, EC5 connector, ....
I guess that, financial problems apart, any pro or semi-pro musician working in a studio or going frequently to gigs need a complete, robust and affordable tool to work with. And have no doubt that the Pa3X has everything to fit this job.

Just my 0,001%

Cheers
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pippuzzo wrote:
Hi,

looking at the specs it seems that Pa3X has almost everything of the Pa900 but the core difference it is the professional approach of the flagship.

Better connections, better semiweighted keybed (61 and 76 keys), sturdy construction, tilting screen, better TC Helicon (4 voices against 3 and with more controls), xlr mic connector with phantom power, s/p dif, ribbon, fill buttons, real time track buttons (select + mute), assignable sliders, EC5 connector, ....
I guess that, financial problems apart, any pro or semi-pro musician working in a studio or going frequently to gigs need a complete, robust and affordable tool to work with. And have no doubt that the Pa3X has everything to fit this job.

Just my 0,001%

Cheers

I agree. If you are a professional doing frequent gigs, the PA3X is the way to go.

On the other hand, if you're doing the occasional gig and spend most of your time at home or studio, the PA900 has a lot to recommend it, not the least <$$$$ Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: