Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG MICRO ARRANGER MUSICAL RESOURCES
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret to see that many first time buyers of either the Micro Arranger or the PA50sd are still struggling with the factory Performances, apart from other inconveniences.
I would like to emphasize once more that all the software offered by me ( see my webpages as regards the JS Resources for the Micro Arranger) comes with a guarantee that any donation will be refunded should you not be completely happy with all that is on offer:

regards,
John

http://pasounds.intropagina.nl/page-7--korg-micro-arranger.html
Vintagemusic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Korg MicroArranger and John Smies software Reply with quote

Cheers,

My initial impression of Korg MicroArranger, upon its arrival was --- wow, this thing is impossible to play with those small keys! Sounds were great, but onboard amp is pitifully underpowered. User manual is not an easy read, and is ambiguous at best. I've read and rea-read the section on SD Direct (Or Direct SD), and I still am unable to figure out how to use this feature.

Piddled around on the MA for a full two days. Put down the User Manual and resorted to intuition and experimentation. Plugged in my Bose headphones and began to fall in love with this instrument!

Purchased Performance/Styles/Programs/Bonus Pack from John Smies. Was reluctant to over-write/replace many of the Factory equivalents, as some are indispensible. Loaded 2003, then 2005, then 2006 sets and decided to revert to Factory settings, with exception of User1, User2, User3. Didn't particularly care for the User settings, so replaced all with Styles from John Smies package. Many excellent sounds/Styles in these packages, including the Bonus offerings.

In short, the Smies packages contain much better Latin Styles/sounds than those onboard the MA. A few decent vintage Jazz and other sounds/styles. Essentially, I replaced nearly all Factory User Styles with better versions from John Smies collection.

Conclusion: I'm 100% elated with the Korg MicroArranger and with my purchase from John Smies. A few more vintage Jazz/Standard Styles would be nice, however.

With practice, it's possible to adapt to the small keys of this instrument, although chords can be difficult to squeeze, especially for one with average to large hands.

With regards to John Smies' "Three Deadly Sins of the MicroArranger" ... I agree with two, and not so much with the one faulting factory Performances, Programs, Styles. Some of the factory items are excellent. A few are unsatisfactory to my musical preferences.

Happy, I am ... with the Korg MA and Smies' package.

Vintagemusic
RicFreak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Maybe you all are too young to remember... Reply with quote

... but MA is simply a refurbished PA80.
This is not a negative statement because I loved my old Pa80, but I think that people should know that.

Anyway if some of you remembers PRM software, I think that it will work for MA too with a little effort and minor adjustements. After all MA styles ARE Pa80 styles. So any volunteer out there?

Riccardo
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciao Ricardo,

Where have you been all this time, or are you now playing the PA3X ?
Please check your PM.

cari saluti,
John Smies

P.S. everyone slightly in the know is quite aware that the KMA is fully identical to the PA50 and therefor also to the PA80. Your old PRM progamms should work without any problems, just mail them again and I will try and sort things out.....
mikenbrenda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Classi cRock, Metal etc Reply with quote

John,

Do you have any settings included or for these type styles in your package?
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Classi cRock, Metal etc Reply with quote

mikenbrenda wrote:
John,

Do you have any settings included or for these type styles in your package?

Hi Mike,

I have sent you an email regards all of your questions.

regards,
John
charlie67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riccardo, surely you mean a refurbished PA50.
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

There is not a whole lot of difference between the PA80 and the PA50, and I owned both. Of course the PA80 has many extras like aftertouch, more connections,etc. but the basic sample memory (= sound) and the basic resources installed ( sounds, styles) are identical in both and the same as in the Micro.

John
david7685

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: One year later and still delighted with my MicroArranger Reply with quote

Bang for the Buck! Lightweight and small (to transport).
Many of the styles are great; especially the special styles included in the Musical Resources I bought from John Smies.

I passed my one (1) year anniversary since ordering the package of extra sounds and styles from John. Periodically I visit my local music store and play their MicroArranger floor model. That always makes me even more grateful for John's programming expertise. What a difference when I go back and compare with the original factory set.
david7685

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Played jazz gig last night Reply with quote

Used KMA on jazz gig last night at a jazz & blues nightclub just outside of Toronto, Canada.
Thanks John Smies, your custom styles saved the day. Was carrying all the backing accompaniment for a sax payer and male singer.

We utilized your Ray Charles style for Georgia - it worked fine. The night was a big,success. Thank you, John, for making available (and practically giving away for almost free) your awesome Musical Resources.
Tony_Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Reply with quote

Dear all,
I'm looking very much for SNOWTOWN Midi file from Korg Demo songs.
Could someone please share it? I'm ready to buy it.. Many thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: