Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS2000 DSP Error
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
axxim now you tell me lol

Have already removed the DSP Chips from Both boards and cleaned the pads ready for the new DSP chips to be fitted, I was just wondering if after fitting the DSP chips the original fault that had blown them could re-occur? if you are correct about the problem being the solder points, then after installing the 144 pin DSP Chips as long as my soldering is good the MS2000's should work fine?

On the subject of soldering the DSP chips what do you recommend, I have an hot air rework station and some solder paste??

Sorry for that, just saw this post today for the first time since I mainly frequent the Radias thread where this procedure was posted by me some months (years?) ago.

The hot air solder station should work fine. Be sure that the PCB pads are clean and even (flat) without any solder drops or protuberances so your DSP lies flat on them. Since your board is old and you don't distribute your boards comercially, I would recommend to use leaded solder wire/paste (if still available) since the newer (and for the actual electronic production mandatory) unleaded alloy is less maleable and hence harder to apply requiring higher temperatures. If your boards will work fine I can't tell you, but if it works fine, then my bet still stands that it was a cold junction. Maybe the next affected member that reads this post could try the resolder first and post his results.

Good luck
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I managed to install my first SMD dsp Chip, but when I do the test I am not getting the MPU TO DSP error anymore but I am getting a DSP Dram error

DSP_DRAM check Adrs Err 4001ff

Is there a Dram chip on board for the DSP chip?

The patches change normally now so I think the DSP chip is installed ok?
sheriffderek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: How important is this? Reply with quote

So I have a blue ms2000 that I've had since 2001. Besides re-soldering the power a few times I've never had an issue. This unit has been in a case most of the time but on many planes and bumpy vans.

I was going to reset to factory today and I'm getting the MIDI loop Timeout errr

Who knows what other errors it would have if it could get past that one too.

The thing is, that despite having some old saved patches, everything works fine.

Is this something I should fix immediately - or will it continue to function as it does? I don't use mod sequence or anything that really saves to memory. I just use stab saw as a starting point for all of my sounds and change it on the fly for each song. I just saved some patches. They saved just fine.

What are your thoughts? I really count on this thing. If it stops working on tour, I am screwed. I can't just borrow a DX7 or something. I need all of the knobs to do what I do.

What are you thoughts? Any updates on the subject?

I don't mind paying a few hundred bucks to have a new board/ chip put in... I just want to do whatever gives me confidence that this thing wont go out on me.

At the same time --- if it will continue to work the way it does... They maybe I'll just buy another for back up.

What do you guys think?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIDI Loop error in the self test comes up because it expects you to connect a MIDI cable from In to Out. AFAIK it tests MIDI port connectivity.

If you haven't connected this cable, or if you have a problem with the cable and/or ports or data line driver, then you will get that error.

If you are worried about the longevity of the board, it may be worth getting an original microKorg. They still manufacture these 'new', and aside from missing the modulation sequencer it is virtually identical.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
sheriffderek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I have the midi all plugged in and working. I often think about getting a micro korg for tours. It's the same, except for that there are only 2 assignable knobs I think. Which would be fine if I planed ahead and really made sure to make those 2 count.
sheriffderek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: re: OOOH Reply with quote

OOOOH... I see what you mean... a MIDI cable from the out to the in on the actual ms2000... "midi loop test" ---- makes total sense now.

It gets through the midi loop test now. Now stuck at LED. HA!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original microKorg has five knobs. You can't assign them as such but there are two large selector switches which kind of 'page through' the different edit sections (like the buttons along the bottom of the MS2000 do in edit mode), changing which parameters the 5 knobs control.

All the parameters are written down in a grid underneath the knobs.

I'd recommend that over the newer microKorg XL/+ because if you are particularly attached to the sound of the MS2000, the original MK has exactly the same sounds. The newer one is based on the R3 and Radias which is powerful but needs more work to get decent sounds the newer XL has less hands-on control too which isn't great for live tweaking..
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
thesigma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxim wrote:
I really doubt that the issue is damaged or blown DSPs in the majority of the cases exposed here. Even if is possible that there was a production charge where the process had some deviations from the standard and the failure rate for this charge has increased, my bets go for faulty solder joints.
Due to mechanical stress (shock, vibrations, etc) and temperature changes, each solder junction may fail in a given time. Since most affected users here describe that replacing the DSP has fixed the issue, it is my opinion that the fix was eiher the resoldering action.
Before ordering the DSP and replacing it, I would first try to resolder all the pins of the DSP. This can be done as grahamprie describes. Use a fine solder tip, apply some flux to the DSP pins and then gently press each pin with the solder iron tip until you see the soldering melting and having a shiny surface. Don't apply the tip for more than about 1 second to each pin. Maybe you also need to apply some fresh solder wire. In this case, try to get some (now forbidden for new products) leaded solder wire (has a lower melting temperature) with a small (thin) diameter.
You can also take a look to the solder junctions with a good magnifying glass and enough illumination and/or use a needle and try to gently pull each leg of the DSP to see if it is loose or not. Another trick is to scratch gently with a small tip over each pin row to hear if they all sound equally or maybe there is a change on the sound one of them.
If the issue persists after this procedure then you can go to replace the DSP and see if the issue gets fixed. In this case undoubtly the fault was the DSP and I loose my bet Wink

Well, I just recieved an MS2000 i bought "doesnt power up" off ebay, sold for parts as-is no returns. I paid about $100 for it. I was aware of this issue but hoped for an easy PSU fix and be done....Well I think the seller was a liar, Plugged it in with my KORG EA-1 Adaptor (it didn't come with one of course) and it powered right up no issues not even a loose jack. But it made no sounds. Aquick jump to diagnostic gave the DSP error.

I tried reflowing the pins, under a stereozoom microscope, but no luck. It is possible I overheated the chip while fixing a couple bridges my initial reflow caused (I did not power on till they were fixed), but I doubt it I work quick and am aware of the issues.

So I've ordered two chips from Digi-Key, $25.00 min order, Mouser had no stock....Damn those pins are tiny. The smallest tip I have for my Metcal is nearly two pins wide...This really seems like a job for a reflow oven....
thesigma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fixed the synth but it seems to have a lot of noise when the Effects are turned up past a certain point. Is it just like that or do I still have a problem to hunt down? Everything else seems to be working....
jjbunn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesigma wrote:
I have fixed the synth but it seems to have a lot of noise when the Effects are turned up past a certain point. Is it just like that or do I still have a problem to hunt down? Everything else seems to be working....

Did you have to reload the OS after replacing the DSP? I ask because after replacing the DSP in my MS2000, the MPUtoDSP error remains - but perhaps the DSP's DRAM need re-initialising?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: