Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

comparison Korg Pa900 vs Yamaha PSR S950

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adimatis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: comparison Korg Pa900 vs Yamaha PSR S950 Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhWT-D8uYts

Now opinions? Wink
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that link.

For once, a pretty nice and unbiased comparison.
The PA3X/Tyros-4 comparison on youtube was a bit of a joke...

Personally (no surprises here) I found most of the PSR s950 very "home-style" in sounds and styles.

Yamaha guitars just don't cut it for me. Also I did not like the Yamaha piano at all which is unusual because Yam's pianos are usually excellent.

If I had to buy one and was not able to hear any more, then I could only ever buy the PA900 - aside from all its other limitations I couldn't imagine performing with the PSR - my PSR s910 and Tyros failed miserably in that area alone.

PSR S950 - 6/10
PA900 ----- 9/10

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: comparison Korg Pa900 vs Yamaha PSR S950 Reply with quote

adimatis wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhWT-D8uYts

Now opinions? Wink

The PA900 sounds like the PA3X , very musical, a live feel.

The PSR S950 sounds like a WK7500 in this example.

Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
adimatis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I am afraid S950 doesn't hold many chances against Pa900, except of course for the Yamaha fans that will never see/accept the difference.
Wink I might be biased though!
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "low" price of the PA900 helps a lot in making the comparison.
If it had a 1.000 euro higher price tag (similiar to PA800 when it hit the market), then the choice for PA900 (instead of PSR950) wouldn't be that obvious.
The "value for money" of the PA900 I think will be the best argument to buy it; in fact it is exceptional in the arranger market!
Korg made a very, very good strategic marketing decision with that.

A bit strange price policy by-the-way. Here in the Netherlands PA900 was in the stores a few weeks ago.
It began with a price tag of 1899, then 1799, 1729 and now the lowest price is 1709 euro.
PA800 (which is still available) is even more expensive in some places.

Play in style. Wink
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adimatis wrote:
Indeed, I am afraid S950 doesn't hold many chances against Pa900, except of course for the Yamaha fans that will never see/accept the difference.
Wink I might be biased though!

Howdo all here,

Just switched from Yam 950 to PA900 - the 950 is packed up and waiting for a buyer. Took some time to compare the sounds and to my untrained ears there's no difference in quality.

Saxes? Both good. Squeezeboxes? Again, couldn't say which is better, just amazing what modern keyboards can do.

Had to resort to playing the 950 through an ipod docking station as I couldn't tweak away the bass boost without knocking out the middle range. Indoor player here, and sound carries through the flats, especially bass.

Not so with the PA900, as it sounds good on low volume.

The touch screen was a big attraction for me so followed my intuition & changed horses mid-stream. Much more comfortable for me with the semi-weighted keys of the PA900, as I don't get the jolt of banging my (not so young) fingers against concrete.

Just a couple of minor things I miss, but was prepared, so no worries. Can't use microphone and use a stereo line-in at the same time. And not sure if my volume pedal is now redundant, but not finished reading the manual yet.

After just one week of playing the Korg I was checking the Yamaha S950 over so I could demonstrate it to the next owner. Amazing but after only a week of using the Korg touch screen, I couldn't help but keep touching the screen of the Yamaha. Bit like going back to unpowered steering.

Impressed? Very much so.

[EDIT} 29th August: sorry, my image wasn't loading so deleted it.

regards

happy regards

Last edited by Happy Jack on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
BillyHank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Jack,

Me too - there is no way I can ever go back to a keyboard without the touchscreen. Korg did a superb job of integrating the OS with the touch screen.

I had three Tyros keyboards and several PSR's and the Pa900 has for me what the Tyros always promised, but never delivered.

The fact you can do all editing right on the keyboard without the need for a PC and special software is a real big plus for me. If I had had the opportunity to play the Pa3x before purchase, I would have got it.

Bill G
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyHank wrote:
Happy Jack,

Me too - there is no way I can ever go back to a keyboard without the touchscreen. Korg did a superb job of integrating the OS with the touch screen.

I had three Tyros keyboards and several PSR's and the Pa900 has for me what the Tyros always promised, but never delivered.

The fact you can do all editing right on the keyboard without the need for a PC and special software is a real big plus for me. If I had had the opportunity to play the Pa3x before purchase, I would have got it.

Bill G

How-do Bill,

Yes, just now hoping my PSR-950 sells before the stampede of
PSR-S950 off-loaders! Smile
BillyHank

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy jack,

I have been a Yammy use exclusively for last 12 years and I just got board with the same old same old.

I have stated previously that the Pa900 is what the PSR S950 should have been, but after having also owned 3 Tyros keyboards and now having the Pa900 for nearly a month, the Pa900 is what each of my Tyros keyboards should have been.

After having seen what Yamaha did with the touch screen on the new CVP keyboards, I think there are going to be many disappointed folks when the new Tyros hits the market. That was what put the final clincher on my decision to move to the Korg.

BillG
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyHank wrote:

there is no way I can ever go back to a keyboard without the touchscreen. Korg did a superb job of integrating the OS with the touch screen.

Welcome to the Korg world!
You will not be disappointed.
Cool

Play in style. Wink
BillyHank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must add I am very impressed with how Korg has responded to customer requests and provided upgrades to the OS for these keyboards - something that was not done a single time by Yamaha for their arranger customers.

I was very surprised by how quickly I adapted to the Pa900 OS and touch screen - truly a masterful adaptation.

Bill G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: