Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 Touch Panel Replacement Guide...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikelees

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: M3 Touch Panel Replacement Guide... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Here is my attempt at a replacement guide for the M3 touch panel. I'm sure there will be some with more experience of synth servicing who will tell me I've got some aspects wrong - if there's a better way of doing this, then I'm happy to hear it...

I hope you will find it useful either in replacing the touch panel, or deciding if it is possible for you to do this. As with all the best forum advice, your mileage may vary, and I can't accept any liability if you damage your M3...

The link is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwnJAmy-gHTvRGJhdFV5ckJ1RkE

A quick plug for users in the UK: I have a couple of new replacement Fujitsu touch panels for sale on Ebay. I bought 3 from Mouser in order to get free shipping, and I'm selling the 2 I didn't need at cost to ship to the UK only:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111149922204

Last edited by mikelees on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
drvenom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Touch Panel Flex Connector. Reply with quote

I'm having screen issues like many people are. More specifically, my screen calibration is completely off. I can get the calibration right on spot after a few calibration attempts, but the calibration goes all crazy again once I restart the M3 module.

I tried fixing the issue by clipping the connector cable as you instructed on your guide. It was worth a shot before spending some pretty cash. Unfortunately, clipping the connector did not work for me. Thank you so much for the guide.

At this point, I am debating whether to spend the money to fix the module or just use it via the software editor. I'm really disappointed that Korg has not fixed this issues on their own dime given that this is a production issue that plagues a lot of M3's. This will definitely be my last korg product. I'm a firm believer that customers' power lies in their ability to buy or not buy from a given company. Enough of my rant. Thanks again for your hard work in putting this guide together. Smile
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch Panel Flex Connector. Reply with quote

drvenom wrote:
I'm really disappointed that Korg has not fixed this issues on their own dime given that this is a production issue that plagues a lot of M3's.

I was equally disappointed when I called Korg tech support and asked about the M3 screen issue. They didn't even acknowledge the problem existed.

Sad
drvenom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't have the energy in me, but I wish I could create a signature sheet where everyone having issues can sign the sheet and then present this evidence to korg to show them that the screen issue is a common problem. Maybe send that list to a few online magazines just to show the lack of customer service.

I understand that fixing this issue might be too costly for them, but they are not even trying... They could at least offer to ship us the part and then have us pay for the labor, but nope, they won't even acknowledge the problem.
bladuck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: M3 Touch Panel Replacement Guide... Reply with quote

mikelees wrote:
Hi everyone,

I hope you will find it useful either in replacing the touch panel, or deciding if it is possible for you to do this. As with all the best forum advice, your mileage may vary, and I can't accept any liability if you damage your M3...

Thank you mikelees. I did replace the panel and afterwards I found your pdf. Excellent work! you did a few things a bit differently. For example I didn't remove all connections from the motherboard only one cable that goes to LCD. I also did not clip the 4 pin connector from the new touch panel.

If I was you, I'd keep one extra touch panel. You never know. Smile

thanks again!
Taylored Warez

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no need to cut the double sided tape.

I peel the touch layer off the old panel and heat up the glass with a heat gun, you can then gently peel the glass away from the tape.
http://www.tayloredwarez.com.au
mikey23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used Mikelees instructions and it was extremely useful. Bought a new screen off of Ebay and I was able to replace it with no problem Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: