Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible to use damper pedal for rotary fast/slow?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggeitz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Possible to use damper pedal for rotary fast/slow? Reply with quote

I'm coming from a Nord Electro 2 on which I can use the damper/sustain pedal to toggle the rotary speaker effect between fast and slow on the organ patches. Is it possible to do this on the Kronos or do I need to use a separate footswitch? I know I can assign whatever CC I want for the toggle parameter in the CX-3 engine but I wonder if the damper pedal's sustain function can be disabled for those patches.

Thanks in advance!
Greg
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to use damper pedal for rotary fast/slow? Reply with quote

greggeitz wrote:
I'm coming from a Nord Electro 2 on which I can use the damper/sustain pedal to toggle the rotary speaker effect between fast and slow on the organ patches. Is it possible to do this on the Kronos or do I need to use a separate footswitch? I know I can assign whatever CC I want for the toggle parameter in the CX-3 engine but I wonder if the damper pedal's sustain function can be disabled for those patches.

No, you can't. You need to use the assignable switch jack, and then you can configure it in Global Mode to control Joystick +, which is generally what all the fast/slow rotary patches use.

.Jens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not actually true. Of course you can use the damper (CC#4) as Source for toggling the fast/slow mode of the leslie sim.
The main issue is to NOT having the damper sustaining the notes at the same time. I am not sure how to accomplish this in program mode - but in combis, it's quite easy:

1) set up an organ patch without using the internal leslie sim (output "preamp", rotary OFF (not "stop" - "off"))
2) use an IFX slot with one of the leslie sims, use CC#4 as slow/fast toggle
3) uncheck the "damper" box on the midi filter page for the organ timbre
4) voila Wink

It may also work with the internal leslie FX of the CX3, but I am not sure if the CC#4 is completely filtered (AMS and sustain) or just not acting on the sustain. Just try.

Once you have one "template patch" ready this way, you can just copy an re-use it in other combis quite easily.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Jens wrote:
That's not actually true. Of course you can use the damper (CC#4) as Source for toggling the fast/slow mode of the leslie sim.
The main issue is to NOT having the damper sustaining the notes at the same time. I am not sure how to accomplish this in program mode - but in combis, it's quite easy:

1) set up an organ patch without using the internal leslie sim (output "preamp", rotary OFF (not "stop" - "off"))
2) use an IFX slot with one of the leslie sims, use CC#4 as slow/fast toggle
3) uncheck the "damper" box on the midi filter page for the organ timbre
4) voila Wink

It may also work with the internal leslie FX of the CX3, but I am not sure if the CC#4 is completely filtered (AMS and sustain) or just not acting on the sustain. Just try.

Once you have one "template patch" ready this way, you can just copy an re-use it in other combis quite easily.

That would be CC#64. But you cannot easily change many programs/combis to this at the same time.

greggeitz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge help, gentlemen. Thanks very much!

Greg
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something thatI've slowly been working on for some time now. It's an ongoing process.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
.Jens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:

That would be CC#64.

True... Thank you for the correction Wink

Quote:

But you cannot easily change many programs/combis to this at the same time.

That's also right - I just didn't read the starting post that way that ALL existing programs and combis would be changed by a global assignment. If someone is looking for this, then you are completely right.
My workaround was meant for use on single patches.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In toggle mode you can usually get away with a quick tap without accidentally holding any notes. I've sometimes used this but my favourite now is to use aftertouch with the same toggle setting.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tap my damper pedal and it works for me. Mind you though,I'm not using it in combi's so it doesn't affect any other sounds.
Since I have my foot switch set to advance patches in my set list, it seemed to me to be the easiest way to do leslie speed changes. I like my organ comps with both hands.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
JimH

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I just wanted to pile on. I was also wanting to control the leslie sim with the sustain pedal. I never want to use sustain on organ so the pedal isn't doing anything anyway. Instead of needed a second pedal for switching fast/slow speed, why not use that and have one less pedal. (I particularly like to use the sustain pedal in momentary mode so it's easier to be sure whether you're at fast or slow speed.)

Yes, at least it's possible using the solution described above, but you lose the leslie on the individual programs. So if there's ever going to be another update for Kronos, hopefully Korg will make this work.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I need 3 pedals. A volume/expression pedal, a damper/leslie speed swithc pedal, and a momentary switch pedal fot program change. That's the bare minimum that I could run with. I have them mounted on a board so they don't run away!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use basically one organ for all my combis that I adjust whenever necessary with the drawbars and other tone adjust settings. So changing that one organ in program mode, as long as you use the CX3 leslie, changes all organs in my setlist and personal combis. I prefer to set it up to AMS mixer one, which mixes/adds JS+ and Damper so I can use either/both. Basically the same effect as assigning the footswitch to JS+ in the global settings except you don't need an extra pedal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: