Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

synth tutorials?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theshinenz

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: synth tutorials? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I just bought a KingKorg and love the sound of it. I play mostly in covers bands and like to try to get sounds as close to originals as possible. I bought the KK with the thought of it being easier and quicker to make sounds with, but am now realising I know stuff all about how to go about getting the sounds I am after, is there any really good tutorials out there about creating different types of sounds. I am starting to think I may be better to go back to the old option of the past where I bought synths with tons of onboard presets and then search for something close.
I have a Kronos aswell which is great but doesnt cover all bases, and I find AL-1 even more confusing.

I'm thinking I may be better off with an integra-7 and midi controller?

Cheers
Scott
xp50player

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good to know about basic subtractive synthesis. Also important is to find out what gear was used to make the original sounds, so you are barking up the right tree and chose the right engine in the Kronos or use the KK. If it is supposed to be a fairly stock FM sound, you are better off looking for the actual DX7 bank online than trying to make it from scratch. Knowing what orig synth will also let you know the filter type and how many oscillators to use, if analog. I think the Kronos should be able to match most things with enough programming, except maybe additive synthesis and characteristic sampled sounds like Fairlights. They can be rebuilt from raw imported samples, of course. With tools like the Kronos and KK, matching a sound is only a matter of how determined you want to be with it.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Rob Papen: The four element synth (basics)
theshinenz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, although the KK is an amazing machine I decided I just dont have time for programming it so I pulled the trigger on a used integra-7 which i got for a good price and a midi controller, so the KK is going up for sale. I'll now spend my time searching thru the 6000+ sounds Wink
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good feedback to Korg, because many users want a choice from definitely more patches, than there are available so far in the KK.

You will face another kind of problem now: you can chose from 6000+ sample and VA or SN sounds - but you have exactly 64 user slots available for your choice from them - including your own edits. Laughing
theshinenz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm banking on roland updating that issue but even if they dont, most of the time I'll be using one or two patches together and the rest will probably be using the tones side of it one at a time for choice or sounds. It will be controlled from my Kronos.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theshinenz wrote:
I'm banking on roland updating that issue but even if they dont, most of the time I'll be using one or two patches together and the rest will probably be using the tones side of it one at a time for choice or sounds. It will be controlled from my Kronos.

With the Kronos as the controller, I don't think you have to worry about the "64 studio set" limitation of the Integra at all. Each Kronos combi you create (and there are a lot more than 64 of them!) can call up any combination of up to 16 Integra tones over whatever keys and at whatever level you want, which is basically 90% of what a Studio Set is. With a controller as flexible as the Kronos, you can ignore Roland's limitation and essentially have as many studio sets as you want.
Maralc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Syntorial Reply with quote

Take a look at Syntorial. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and it's changing my game completely going over it.

http://syntorial.com/

Cheers
Marcelo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: